NY City?

Well, we made the dates of our trip to NYC official - 1st week in Oct. Oct 6 is our wedding anniversary. So we have the Jet Blue Economy no stop to and from JFK. Our hotel is the Park Lane with Central Park right outside the door.

We wondered about a few things, but forgive us newbies but: We saw we can book some passes via Expedia but it wasn't clear to us what the best one would be. I know preferences enter in there somewhere but we will be there 5 days.
Which pass is like the "absolute best" for a newbie? I saw several that included admission to attractions but wasn't clear as to whether they were discount passes or if the cost of the pass covered ALL of the process of admission to places listed.

Each of the passes (either the multi attraction passes or the passes to individual attractions) require us to go to the check in place near or where attractions are. Stupid question #1: How do we get to the check in point on time? Cab, metro, bus? I mean we will be dumped into the jungle and we need a guidance system - when we leave the hotel, for example, to go to two different place (lets say Statue of L and 9/11 memorial). Since we aren't driving, we rely on someone else or some other mode, so how easy is it to get to these places on time?
#2. How important is tipping people when our own finances are very limited? We save for this trip for years and I know service providers deserve to be topped but this is NYC where A LOT of people, I suspect, will have their hands extended. So clue me in please.
#3. What is the best way to get to the hotel from the airport and to the airport from the hotel.

I feel SO GREEN and I don't want this trip to be a nightmare of confusion. PLEASE HELP. You all had been VERY HELPFUL thus far, giving us the confidence to go ahead and book the flight/hotel! Thank you

Ok , as a NYC resident I never bought the passes ,so I can not offer any personal guidance. As far as getting around, if everyone in your group is capable of walking for 15 minutes do that. Enjoy the sights as you walk. The nicest but sometimes NOT the fastest, take a taxi. Tips, for a cab its 10 %-20 %. Unless your making him unload steamer trunks from your flight. Trust me, what ever you give, more than likely he will just grunt or say ty. If the hotels door man hails you a cab give him 2 bucks rolled up , as you shake his hand. The bell man, will probably use a thing with wheels that carry's your luggage, thats another 5 bucks. The best way to get to the Hotel, thats easy. If I was visiting a strange city, Take a taxi. They have organized taxis stands with dispatchers right when your exit the terminals. There are cheaper ways to get to the hotel, but as a newbie you might get confused, or lost. Thats a bad way to start a trip.

...I feel SO GREEN and I don't want this trip to be a nightmare of confusion. PLEASE HELP. You all had been VERY HELPFUL thus far, giving us the confidence to go ahead and book the flight/hotel! Thank you

Park Lane is in a wonderful location. To feel less green, download the NYC Subway map. It'll look confusing at first, but the subway is the best way to get from point A to point B in Manhattan. You may have only used it as an example, but you hit upon the right idea. Statue of Liberty ferry is near 9/11 Memorial. Plan your sightseeing so that your target sites are near each other, and you can walk from one to another.
In a sense, you can't really get lost on the subway. There are innumerable [free] connections between the different subway lines, so if you make a mistake it is easily undone. And, in general, if you miss your planned stop you can just get off the next stop and only have a short walk.
Most definitely, take advantage of your hotel concierge, or front desk person, for guidance as well.
I can't answer your other specific questions other than taxi cab is likely the best way to and from your hotel from JFK.

Transportaion

Manhattan resident here.

Your hotel is in a good location for seeing so many of the sites.

I would recommend taking a taxi from the airport. Follow the signs to ground transportation and look for the taxi stand/dispatcher. There may be a line. Do not take any offers for alternative car services, etc. Use only yellow cabs at the airport.

Uber an Lyft are also good in Manhattan, just watch for surge pricing. I have not used these apps from the airport, so I can't advise on this. Yellow cabs are fine, too.

To get around Manhattan, I use an app called Citimapper. There is also a web site. You plug in your starting location and destination and it will give you subway, bus, cab, etc. alternatives. It includes both time and cost, so you can choose accordingly. The directions are very detailed and include maps.

I can't advise on passes. I would suggest prioritizing what you want to see and look at a map. Organize your days by location (Upper West Side, Wall St., etc.) and then ask the concierge or use Citimapper to see you transportation options.

Enjoy your trip

Which pass is like the "absolute best" for a newbie? I saw several that included admission to attractions but wasn't clear as to whether they were discount passes or if the cost of the pass covered ALL of the process of admission to places listed.
City passes have two benefits. One is they reduce the cost of admission you would otherwise pay. The other is in some cases they give you preferential access to the front of the line.

You should start with a list of sites you want to visit and attractions you plan on seeing. Then see if any of the passes includes those activities and figure out the discount. Then check to see if that attraction has long wait times and if the pass gets you VIP access.

When we travel, wait times tend to be the biggest negative, because our time is limited. Personally, I would consider purchasing a pass if it gave us front of the line or VIP access.

So, Michael, with the passes, there are some you pay like 100 bucks - does that cover the whole admission price for however many attractions are on the list, or does one still pay something at the "gate" but not full price....? I appreciate you and everyone's helpful responses

I used an app on my phone for the Subway, we went all over. I think it was called Embark.

Go to the Empire State Bldg. at 8am. You'll be an hour early and probably the first in line. The line is such a time waster. Buy a pop out map while you're there) it's about the size of a deck of cards Folds up perfect everytime and has all the sights, street names and subway lines on the map. Fits perfect in your pocket.

Iowa girl here. The subway is easy if you understand it. Each subway line will have a name for the beginning and end of the line. In NYC it's the name of the first and last stop. So...when you walk into the subway find the 'you are here' on the giant map on the wall and the subway line to where you are going. Follow the line with your eye to the last stop and that will be the direction you are going and will also be what's on the sign over the turnstile, on the wall of the entrance, etc. The signs also say uptown and downtown usually which is a big help. You may have to switch lines but it's not that hard.

You only have to figure out subways once - they all pretty much work the same way in every city. You can do it :)

Question: Are there any NYC attractions that require registration like way ahead of time, months ahead for example? I am thinking of buying 2 NY Passes, but wondered if the savings are that substantial if one knows they aren't going to all the attractions on the list:confused:

Question: Are there any NYC attractions that require registration like way ahead of time, months ahead for example? I am thinking of buying 2 NY Passes, but wondered if the savings are that substantial if one knows they aren't going to all the attractions on the list:confused:

Broadway plays.

thrahtobe
Stoke-on-Trent...

Level
lvl_06.png
Contributor
badge_forum_posts.png
3,724 posts
rev_06.png
251 reviews
Save Reply 5. Re: From Penn Station? to JFK - when I leave?

i am coming to nyc in october. when we leave, we are unsure whether to get the airtrain then metro. or take a taxi:confused: back to JFK

we will have 3 cases between the two of us, would be able to do it with the cases we have with us:confused:

The Statue of Liberty and 9/11 Museum require advance ticket purchases. Depending on the dates, availability may be limited. You can check with their web sites for your dates. I am not sure how the NY Passes work with either of these attractions.

I would encourage you to visit the web sites of the attractions you are most interested in and read through "Plan your visit" and "Tickets" to get information.

Re: Broadway. I agree with BCG, if you must see a particular show. If you are flexible about the show and seating, then you can get discount tickets the day of the performance.

Last edited:
thrahtobe
Stoke-on-Trent...

Level
lvl_06.png
Contributor
badge_forum_posts.png
3,724 posts
rev_06.png
251 reviews
Save Reply 5. Re: From Penn Station? to JFK - when I leave?

i am coming to nyc in october. when we leave, we are unsure whether to get the airtrain then metro. or take a taxi:confused: back to JFK

we will have 3 cases between the two of us, would be able to do it with the cases we have with us:confused:

hahahah If it was me , take a taxi, leave 4 hours before your flight.

when i leave NYC to go back.....seriously? Damn flight home leaves at 0730!

wow thats early:LOL::LOL::LOL:, I would say to have the door man hail you a cab at no later than 5am, you will be at the airport by 530am. Check in and have a leisurely breakfast at the terminal.

On first day waking up in nyc, how do we get to our first attraction? Cab, bus, taxi or subway? Is there usually anyone at the hotel that can help us firgure out these things? Might seem "duh" to some but we only have 6 days there and want to know how to get to where, including statue of liberty and everywhere in between

On first day waking up in nyc, how do we get to our first attraction? Cab, bus, taxi or subway? Is there usually anyone at the hotel that can help us firgure out these things? Might seem "duh" to some but we only have 6 days there and want to know how to get to where, including statue of liberty and everywhere in between

Doc, What hotel you staying at and where you going? This sort of stuff matters , I need more info:)

we have the NY Pass and we will be hitting the Empire Stat Bldg, 30 Rock, Times square, 911 memorial, statue of liberty, one of the Hudson River cruises, and I am looking for a good restaurant to take my wife to on our anniversary......

If your first stop is the empire state building take the bus(cheaper) or a taxi. I would take the bus, you need exact change or a metro-pass. A roll of quarters before you leave home will get you a head start.

Going to 9/11 take the train, its all the way downtown, or a cab, train will be quicker its a nice part of town to take the train.

Back
Top Bottom