Overtourism

My DIL just got a round trip ticket to Poland for 600. The cheapest she has ever went.

I knew of the French Lascaux cave, but not of the ones in Northern Spain, where I was a few months ago. Next time in the region, I will go take a look.

Yes, you can never see it all. Most places can be revisited a few times.

PS. Will I add to overtourism there? :) The Lascaux cave is well known, but the Spanish ones hopefully are not.

This shows all the sites we are visiting. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/expeditions/destinations/europe/land/human-origins-france-spain/

AMnesty International put a travel warning on US. Great! Fewer crowds at our sites.

Last edited:
That's the Web site I went to. :) I had not known there were so many caves in Northern Spain.

We had been to the Monolithic Church in Saint Emillion, which is a destination in the above trip although it is of course not pre-historic.

Right, we are also spending time at other historic or interesting sites if they are close to a cave or museum. Some of these are for long breaks on our own.

DH and I intend to return to Northern Spain and the Dordogne region of France, so this trip also serves as a preview for a much longer trip.

Last edited:
On the same trip when we visited Saint Emillion, we also spent a night in Cognac as a pilgrimage I long wanted to make to the birthplace of the beloved spirit.

I don't remember the dates and perhaps it could be the difference between a weekday and weekend, but Cognac was a sleepy town while Saint Emillion was crowded with visitors, mostly French. Just want to mention this to tie to the thread topic.

On the same trip when we visited Saint Emillion, we also spent a night in Cognac as a pilgrimage I long wanted to make to the birthplace of the beloved spirit.

I don't remember the dates and perhaps it could be the difference between a weekday and weekend, but Cognac was a sleepy town while Saint Emillion was crowded with visitors, mostly French. Just want to mention this to tie to the thread topic.
We won’t have time to visit Cognac this trip, but I have every intention of sampling Armagnac when in Périgord, and maybe bringing a bottle home.

When our tour ends in Bordeaux we are staying on a few more days and have a couple of wine tours lined up for Médoc (left bank) and several right bank wineries including St. Emilion.

Wine tours or wine tasting?

Back
Top Bottom