Paris / Rome Trip

The RER trains stations are along the left bank of the Seine. Such as the station under the Musee d'Orsay or St. Michel in the Latin Quarter.

From there, you would probably have to switch to a subway line and then walk some distance with luggage to the hotel. It could be close or it could be a couple of blocks.
There are RER lines and stations throughout the city, not just along the left bank of the Seine. The RER B line runs from CDG airport south through the city and continues to southern suburbs. I've taken it dozens of times. In order to get to the Hotel Brighton (which is across from the Tuileries on the right bank and along Metro line 1, one would transfer from the RER to Metro line 1 at the Chatelet station (which is on the Right Bank). That transfer is usually quite long, but there are moving walkways for the longer transfers. Chatelet is probably the busiest RER station in the city, and the Metro station may also be the busiest because so many different lines go through it.

With reasonable precautions, I think both the RER and the Metro system are pretty safe. I've taken literally hundreds of trips on the Metro over the past 35+ years, including last year. In all that time, there was one unsuccessful attempt by gypsy kids to steal from me. I was seated on the metro and I shoved the kids away forcefully the moment they attempted to distract me by waving a crumpled piece of newspaper in front of me. Immediately after I shoved them away, the Parisian man sitting next to me did the same. The kids got nothing from either of us. I haven't seen gypsy kids in Paris for about 10 years. I hope that the authorities finally cracked down on them. BTW, you get a free transfer from the RER to the Metro. You typically need your RER ticket to enter AND exit from the RER, and you'll use the same ticket to enter the Metro system. You don't need the ticket to exit the Metro, however.

Map of the Metro & RER network: http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/

Last edited:
IF the taxi is only €50, that isn't bad for two people.

If you hit traffic though ...

IF the taxi is only €50, that isn't bad for two people.

If you hit traffic though ...

Right, I know it goes up. But I don't expect we'll be leaving the airport until about 11am so hopefully well past rush hour.

There are RER lines and stations throughout the city, not just along the left bank of the Seine. The RER B line runs from CDG airport south through the city and continues to southern suburbs. I've taken it dozens of times. In order to get to the Hotel Brighton (which is across from the Tuileries on the right bank and along Metro line 1, one would transfer from the RER to Metro line 1 at the Chatelet station (which is on the Right Bank). That transfer is usually quite long, but there are moving walkways for the longer transfers. Chatelet is probably the busiest RER station in the city, and the Metro station may also be the busiest because so many different lines go through it.

With reasonable precautions, I think both the RER and the Metro system are pretty safe. I've taken literally hundreds of trips on the Metro over the past 35+ years, including last year. In all that time, there was one unsuccessful attempt by gypsy kids to steal from me. I was seated on the metro and I shoved the kids away forcefully the moment they attempted to distract me by waving a crumpled piece of newspaper in front of me. Immediately after I shoved them away, the Parisian man sitting next to me did the same. The kids got nothing from either of us. I haven't seen gypsy kids in Paris for about 10 years. I hope that the authorities finally cracked down on them. BTW, you get a free transfer from the RER to the Metro. You typically need your RER ticket to enter AND exit from the RER, and you'll use the same ticket to enter the Metro system. You don't need the ticket to exit the Metro, however.

Map of the Metro & RER network: Plan Interactif des transports en Ile-de-France
Good to know.

What is your definition of "reasonable precautions"?

I wasn't planning on taking the RER on arrival, though, because I think we'll be too tired.

You can Google CDG to Paris to see what people are paying for taxis recently.

Some cities, you have to only take certain types of taxis.

Audrey - fwiw - I travel with a "safer" purse that is big enough to hold my tablet - but has all sorts of special features - metal mesh sewn into the bottom (so they can't slice the bottom and have the contents drop out without you being aware), metal cable built into the strap, special loops so that all zippers can be locked or twist tied to slow down thieves, and a strap long enough to wear it cross body.

This is an updated version of the purse I have.
Pacsafe - Metrosafe 200 GII anti-theft shoulder bag

Hey I think that's the same purse my wife has. In fact she got it when we spent several weeks to visit Prague, Berlin and Paris.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We're staying at the Hotel Brighton in Paris. Anyone ever stay there?

Never stayed there but it's in a good spot. Right Bank, across from the Louvre and near everything.

Folks going to Paris should remember to KEEP your RER/Metro ticket with you. You'll likely need it to get OUT of your arriving station and Metro police do spot checks on the trains. Big fine if you don't have your ticket.

Never stayed there but it's in a good spot. Right Bank, across from the Louvre and near everything.

Yes, I loved the location. I was looking at what was close to the Musee de l'Orangerie and the garden. Tripadvisor reviews were great. We're supposed to have a view of the gardens and the landmarks across the river from our room.

Folks going to Paris should remember to KEEP your RER/Metro ticket with you. You'll likely need it to get OUT of your arriving station and Metro police do spot checks on the trains. Big fine if you don't have your ticket.

Thanks. Lots of warnings on this across the net.

Another thing I'd always ask at hotels is "how much is the breakfast?". A lot of hotels include a pretty nice Continental b'fast with the room price, others do not.

We got surprised in Rome once...we just had a coffee and croissant and discovered at checkout that we got whacked about $65! (28 Euros each); this was an upscale place but had we known, we'd've gone for the full dining experience instead.

What is your definition of "reasonable precautions"?
/p
Nothing whatsoever in rear pockets in clothing. I prefer zippered pants pockets in front. Nothing valuable in any easily accessible pockets in daypacks/purses.

For the Metro, know the line number and terminus station for the direction you're headed toward, because that's what you'll need to know for transfers. They're pretty well marked.

Last edited:
Audrey - fwiw - I travel with a "safer" purse that is big enough to hold my tablet - but has all sorts of special features - metal mesh sewn into the bottom (so they can't slice the bottom and have the contents drop out without you being aware), metal cable built into the strap, special loops so that all zippers can be locked or twist tied to slow down thieves, and a strap long enough to wear it cross body.

This is an updated version of the purse I have.
Pacsafe - Metrosafe 200 GII anti-theft shoulder bag
We looked at that bag, and decided to get if for DH!

Won't he be in fashion carrying a shoulder bag in Paris! But he does like to have a water bottle with him and it will be handy on the plane, and he doesn't really like carrying a small backpack anyway and would prefer something cross body. It will be handy on the group trip.

I notice the models for that bag are male. DH really doesn't have any hang-ups about that sort of thing anyway. We won't be calling it a "purse" though - LOL!

/p
Nothing whatsoever in rear pockets in clothing. I prefer zippered pants pockets in front. Nothing valuable in any easily accessible pockets in daypacks/purses.

For the Metro, know the line number and terminus station for the direction you're headed toward, because that's what you'll need to know for transfers. They're pretty well marked.
Thanks.

I've ridden several European city metros. So yes I know about knowing which terminus to get the right direction, and the name stops are always clearly displayed inside the subway and on the track walls. That part is fun.

We never put anything in our back pockets (not even in the US). DH doesn't like to sit on a wallet. But our preferred location - the zippered side pockets lower on leg on many of our travel pants - I think we will not put anything there either while in Paris.

Back
Top Bottom