Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's better to have RV'd and lost than to never have RV'd at all.

When DH bought his motorcycle three years ago, he promised he would sell it when his reaction time started to slow down. ...and yeah, I believe him.

Here's to better health and a new interest....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
It's better to have RV'd and lost than to never have RV'd at all.
Words to live by.

Rich, I am sorry that you have to set the RV aside.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

From a fellow RVer I am very sorry to hear this. I hope you find away to take it back up some day or find an equally enjoyable activity.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #24

Rich,
I understand completely. I am sorry you had to part with it but you are correct...having it sit and eat money knowing you are not going to use it in the foreseeable future makes for an uncomfortable quandary; keep it thinking you might use it or sell it with a "maybe" someday in the future we may do it again. Keeping it comes with all kinds of thoughts about losing all the "improvements" you have made to it over the past 2 years as well as finding and fixing all the "bugs" that come with all expensive transportable toys. Selling it involves loss of equity but like you said the annual expenses add up especially if you are not living in it.

We are temporarily parked for a while. DW's business is taking on a life of its own and there seems to be no time to load up and hit the road for months at a time like we used to...not even a full week this year. We actually put it up for sale in several places but got no offers...I guess it was just not to be, yet. We will wait and see if things level out or not. If not, then I will try again around Snowbird season.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

That's ok buddy (the decision to sell). You got to experience your dream for a few years.

I completely understand where you are coming from... I was a boat owner for several years.

The day I bought it.

The day I sold it.

Hopefully the health issue does not restrict your travel. From your posts, I get the impression that you have a little wanderlust in you.

You can always fire up the car and go stay in a hotel, B&B, motel, lodge, cottage, etc. That is how we plan to do it.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #26

I threw in the boat, when I sold the house on the lake. Got rid of two anchors.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
All the boat hate...I love our trailerable sailboat and would never get rid of it. Perhaps because we keep it garaged at home and have no moorage costs and very little maintenance needed (maybe new sails every 10 years).
Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post

Yup... Vacation homes. So far I have managed to avoid it.

But I often hear the Sirens song. It calls and beckons. The last time.... just a few month back.

Fortunately I wind up putting on the accountants green eye shades... that type of analysis along with the list of things to manage and worry about usually does the trick.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraM View Post
All the boat hate...I love our trailerable sailboat and would never get rid of it. Perhaps because we keep it garaged at home and have no moorage costs and very little maintenance needed (maybe new sails every 10 years).

I didn't hate my boat. On the contrary, I liked it.

But it was expensive to own and keep up. I found that I was using it less and less.

I finally realized that after I got the initial thrill out of my system, I was an infrequent boater.

It made sense for me to sell it.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:08 AM   #30

We spent about 3 years being boatless between the sailboat and the trawler. Still love it, but know that one day we'll be ready to do something different. The boat represents some middle ground for us, knowing we are still a number of years away from ER, it lets us live the life for weekends and keep the wanderlust intact.
The dockage is steep, but the boat connects us to the beautiful area in which we live, allows us to entertain friends and family, and is a platform for beer drinking when needed!

The motorhome is a magic festival getaway transporter! Every time I catch sight of it when I pull in the yard, I smile, thinking of the good times and music that it has taken us to see. We don't use it very often, but it doesn't cost anything while it sits there silently rusting.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
We sold our camper trailer when our children reached their teen years and became so ornery that I was afraid someone was going to get hurt and it might have been me.

We basically quit travelling until we could travel without them. Now, DW and I take extended car trips. We look at motor homes, but the prices are mind boggling. Also, once you have the thing, you have another ongoing maintenance issue and we already have plenty of those.
My parents did essentially the same thing. However, in lieu of taking RV trips, they searched for cheap cruises (last-minute reservations) we could take during our school breaks. Pretty much the same as RV'ing, without the RV.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep. Maneuvering around on the roof is tough - especially while using my walker...
You need a different brand of walker...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnnie-Walker-Black-Label2.jpg (35.1 KB, 4 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
To my great disappointment, we sold our 36 foot 2009 Wiinnebago Itaska motorhome yesterday.
Giving up activities due to aging or health issues is a bummer. I'm totally in tune with your disappointment.
Quote:
We're consoling ourselves (along with DW's 60th, our 40th anniversary year, and my retirement) by taking an Alaskan cruise in August.
Excellent!

DW and I are still camping, fishing and kayaking but feel the restrictions setting in as we move through our 60's. It seems just like yesterday that I could throw the boats on top of the truck without a flinch. Then one day I found I needed to bring a step ladder with. Then I only felt confident on the step ladder with DW holding it. Now we go primarily on club trips where some of the younger guys do the heavy lifting and geezers like us supply the beer and do most of the cooking.

I'm pleased we're still doing outdoorsy stuff, but every trip is turning into a reality check.......

Enjoy the cruise!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Hey RIT

Cruises are fine. And motels are OK too for the regular getaway.

The one thing I don't regret is the trip to the dumping station. Right behind that is the trip to the gas station!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
The one thing I don't regret is the trip to the dumping station
Hmm.. Was I supposed to take it to a dumping station?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Rich, bummer to need to be close to medical facilities. By staying close to home you know the medical professionals and facilities but your son's neighborhood has great resources too. Visit them and do what grandparents should - spoil the kids.

We are working the other side of the used motorhome market. I am still looking for the right one for us, one that would work for DH & I and our son's family as well. Small (under 30 ft), with a walk-around queen (likely in a slide out), a dinette fixed to the frame so that we can install seatbelt attachments for car seats, Ford V-10, can tow 5,000 per mfg and well constructed. If the day comes when we shouldn't use it we can sign the title over to the kids.

Son's business has access to the auctions. The units that make my cut are rarely available and not as cheap as I thought they would be given the economy.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
We are working the other side of the used motorhome market. I am still looking for the right one for us, one that would work for DH & I and our son's family as well. Small (under 30 ft), with a walk-around queen (likely in a slide out), a dinette fixed to the frame so that we can install seatbelt attachments for car seats, Ford V-10, can tow 5,000 per mfg and well constructed...
Son's business has access to the auctions. The units that make my cut are rarely available and not as cheap as I thought they would be given the economy.
Heck, except for the 30' requirement, you could have bought ours (it even had a king bed)! Good luck on your hunt. There is a liquidator called Big Sky outside of Phoenix you might give a call to - treated me quite well in this last transaction. PM if you'd like details and contact info.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Hmm.. Was I supposed to take it to a dumping station?
No wonder you are having health problems.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I've bookmarked their website.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #40
Administrator

I hope all is well and your range and abilities increase in the future. In the meantime, sounds like you made a swift move to end a leaky finance drain, good move. If it's meant to be again, it will. It might be a smaller incarnation, regional rental or a hotel room instead of a state park. What ever lies ahead, I know you will make the best of it.

The RV industry is not going to do much for a while. I do think that another decade and we will see more innovation leading to better fuel economy and more fixed home features at a lower price.