RV Sold

I threw in the boat, when I sold the house on the lake. Got rid of two anchors.

All the boat hate...I love our trailerable sailboat and would never get rid of it. Perhaps because we keep it garaged at home and have no moorage costs and very little maintenance needed (maybe new sails every 10 years).

Yup... Vacation homes. So far I have managed to avoid it.

But I often hear the Sirens song. It calls and beckons. The last time.... just a few month back.

Fortunately I wind up putting on the accountants green eye shades... that type of analysis along with the list of things to manage and worry about usually does the trick.

All the boat hate...I love our trailerable sailboat and would never get rid of it. Perhaps because we keep it garaged at home and have no moorage costs and very little maintenance needed (maybe new sails every 10 years).

I didn't hate my boat. On the contrary, I liked it.

But it was expensive to own and keep up. I found that I was using it less and less.

I finally realized that after I got the initial thrill out of my system, I was an infrequent boater.

It made sense for me to sell it.

We spent about 3 years being boatless between the sailboat and the trawler. Still love it, but know that one day we'll be ready to do something different. The boat represents some middle ground for us, knowing we are still a number of years away from ER, it lets us live the life for weekends and keep the wanderlust intact.
The dockage is steep, but the boat connects us to the beautiful area in which we live, allows us to entertain friends and family, and is a platform for beer drinking when needed!

The motorhome is a magic festival getaway transporter! Every time I catch sight of it when I pull in the yard, I smile, thinking of the good times and music that it has taken us to see. We don't use it very often, but it doesn't cost anything while it sits there silently rusting.

We sold our camper trailer when our children reached their teen years and became so ornery that I was afraid someone was going to get hurt and it might have been me.:)

We basically quit travelling until we could travel without them. Now, DW and I take extended car trips. We look at motor homes, but the prices are mind boggling. Also, once you have the thing, you have another ongoing maintenance issue and we already have plenty of those.

My parents did essentially the same thing. However, in lieu of taking RV trips, they searched for cheap cruises (last-minute reservations) we could take during our school breaks. Pretty much the same as RV'ing, without the RV. :ROFLMAO:

Yep. Maneuvering around on the roof is tough - especially while using my walker...

You need a different brand of walker...

Attachments

• Johnnie-Walker-Black-Label2.jpg
    Johnnie-Walker-Black-Label2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 4
To my great disappointment, we sold our 36 foot 2009 Wiinnebago Itaska motorhome yesterday.
Giving up activities due to aging or health issues is a bummer. I'm totally in tune with your disappointment.
We're consoling ourselves (along with DW's 60th, our 40th anniversary year, and my retirement) by taking an Alaskan cruise in August.
Excellent!

DW and I are still camping, fishing and kayaking but feel the restrictions setting in as we move through our 60's. It seems just like yesterday that I could throw the boats on top of the truck without a flinch. Then one day I found I needed to bring a step ladder with. Then I only felt confident on the step ladder with DW holding it. Now we go primarily on club trips where some of the younger guys do the heavy lifting and geezers like us supply the beer and do most of the cooking.

I'm pleased we're still doing outdoorsy stuff, but every trip is turning into a reality check.......

Enjoy the cruise!

Hey RIT

Cruises are fine. And motels are OK too for the regular getaway.

The one thing I don't regret is the trip to the dumping station. Right behind that is the trip to the gas station!

Rich, bummer to need to be close to medical facilities. By staying close to home you know the medical professionals and facilities but your son's neighborhood has great resources too. Visit them and do what grandparents should - spoil the kids.

We are working the other side of the used motorhome market. I am still looking for the right one for us, one that would work for DH & I and our son's family as well. Small (under 30 ft), with a walk-around queen (likely in a slide out), a dinette fixed to the frame so that we can install seatbelt attachments for car seats, Ford V-10, can tow 5,000 per mfg and well constructed. If the day comes when we shouldn't use it we can sign the title over to the kids.

Son's business has access to the auctions. The units that make my cut are rarely available and not as cheap as I thought they would be given the economy.

We are working the other side of the used motorhome market. I am still looking for the right one for us, one that would work for DH & I and our son's family as well. Small (under 30 ft), with a walk-around queen (likely in a slide out), a dinette fixed to the frame so that we can install seatbelt attachments for car seats, Ford V-10, can tow 5,000 per mfg and well constructed...
Son's business has access to the auctions. The units that make my cut are rarely available and not as cheap as I thought they would be given the economy.

Heck, except for the 30' requirement, you could have bought ours (it even had a king bed)! Good luck on your hunt. There is a liquidator called Big Sky outside of Phoenix you might give a call to - treated me quite well in this last transaction. PM if you'd like details and contact info.

I hope all is well and your range and abilities increase in the future. In the meantime, sounds like you made a swift move to end a leaky finance drain, good move. If it's meant to be again, it will. It might be a smaller incarnation, regional rental or a hotel room instead of a state park. What ever lies ahead, I know you will make the best of it.

The RV industry is not going to do much for a while. I do think that another decade and we will see more innovation leading to better fuel economy and more fixed home features at a lower price.

After cutting our teeth on a Class B, then a trailer, we bought the motorhome in 2009, loved it.

Rich, is this the one you bought up here in Dayton? I think of you every time I pass by the place.

Rich - sorry to hear that you're on an RV timeout. I know what everyone is going through - just not being able to perform the physical tasks that unfortunately are part of the things we love to do. I find myself falling out of my boat more and more as I get older.

"Family health problems...."

Not sure I like the sound of that.
I see Freebird is planning to sell her boat.
No doubt about it, we're all getting older!

I hope all is well with you and DW. :flowers:

It is not an easy decision to give up something you enjoy. I am sure that you thought it all out and came up with the decision that is right for you. Our "toys" require a lot of time and effort.

When the effort exceeds the fun part...and the cost exceeds the usage...well, you know the rest of that sentence.

Never say never.

Sorry about all of this, Rich. The good news is that we know you'll have no trouble figuring out what to do all day!

Yep. Maneuvering around on the roof is tough - especially while using my walker...
I know exactly how you feel...

Attachments

• Geezer longboard air.jpg
    Geezer longboard air.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 11
I am late to this thread as I have been traveling but sorry about the RV . We went to Alaska in May and it was spectacular .It was all about the scenery . The only regret I had was that we did not go for two weeks instead of ten days .Be sure to check out The Red Dog Saloon in Juneau .

I am in the learning part of RV shopping. By accidrent I discovered that many motor homes cannot cross the border into Canada because they don't meet their safety regulations (DH has always wanted to drive the AlCan Hgy). Who would have known!

I am in the learning part of RV shopping. By accidrent I discovered that many motor homes cannot cross the border into Canada because they don't meet their safety regulations (DH has always wanted to drive the AlCan Hgy). Who would have known!

That's interesting Brat. Last October DW and I cut across a little chunk of Canada on our return from a leaf peeping trip to Pa, NY, Vt and NH and nothing was mentioned at the border crossing. We were pulling a trailor, not driving a motor home. Maybe that makes a difference.

Or maybe the border guard knew that our brand wasn't on the no-go list?

I have heard that certain motor home dealers in Canada were spreading misinformation about special requirements to discourage Canadians from buying motor homes in the US and importing them to Canada.

I'm not aware of any such restrictions, but I've never actually researched it. I've read a lot of RV forums and never heard of anyone being turned away at the border for this reason. Can you provide details on the safety regulations creating the problem?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom