San Francisco to Vancouver Road Trip

I like Sonoma valley more than Napa.

The old growth redwood forests in the various segments of Redwood National Park as well as along Avenue of the Giants are simply amazing, one of my favorite places on the planet. Make sure you fill up on gas before you head north from Fort Bragg. There's not much gas available before Eureka, and what is available costs a fortune. Make sure you see Carson Mansion in Eureka before you leave town. It's an amazing Victorian house.

Although even June might be too early, Crater Lake is stunning. (It gets a huge amount of snow.) If you go north on the coast, and back south on I-5, Crater Lake NP is worth a detour from I-5 if it's accessible.

In addition to the previously mentioned Japanese garden in Portland, the very different Chinese garden in downtown Portland is also worthwhile. Also the rose garden near the Japanese garden. Multnomah Falls is a short drive east of Portland and is quite impressive. It should have plenty of water in May or June. Powell's takes up an entire city block in Portland and is one of the best independent bookstores in the country.

Olympic National Park is one of my favorites. There are at least 3 very different portions of the park. The temperate rainforests (Hoh & Quinault) on the west side are very nice and the two are somewhat different. The walks are easy because they're essentially flat.

The separate beach section of the park is very pretty and makes for a nice walk at low tide. These are very wild undeveloped beaches.

Great views and hikes from Hurricane Ridge in the northern part of the park.

Port Townsend is a pretty little town with many Victorian homes.

4 different islands in the San Juan group in Puget Sound have regular ferry service. Lopez Island is very bucolic. If you have good weather, there are nice views from Mt. Constitution on the eastern side of Orcas Island. The Gulf Islands are in British Columbia and are also nice. Saltspring Island is the most accessible.

I first had Cioppino in 1980 in the Space Needle restaurant, in our honeymoon trip.

I have been making it at home, whenever I have a craving for it, about once or twice a year. There are several recipes on the Web, and as long as one gets Dungeness crab, and some other shell fish like big shrimp and clams, and good firm fish, it's really simple.

Last edited:
Although even June might be too early, Crater Lake is stunning. (It gets a huge amount of snow.) If you go north on the coast, and back south on I-5, Crater Lake NP is worth a detour from I-5 if it's accessible.

In addition to the previously mentioned Japanese garden in Portland, the very different Chinese garden in downtown Portland ...

Last time I went there, they told me Crater Lake is rarely open before July.

And for gardens, Weyerhaeuser's HQ south of Seattle has a fantastic bonsai garden open to the public.

I first had Cioppino in 1980 in the Space Needle restaurant, in our honeymoon trip.

I have been making it at home, whenever I have a craving for it, about once or twice a year. There are several recipes on the Web, and as long as one gets Dungeness crab, and some other shell fish like big shrimp and clams, and good firm fish, it's really simple.
We make it at home too. I make my own fish stock from red snapper trimmings. We now make it with straight Dungeness crab - forget the other seafood, LOL! Through some miracle, we have an excellent supply of Dungeness crab here in south Texas.

We now make it with straight Dungeness crab - forget the other seafood, LOL!
:nonono: :nonono:

Dungeness crab may be the [-]virtuoso violinist[/-] main ingredient, but one does not have [-]an orchestra[/-] Cioppino unless there are other accompanying [-]instruments[/-] shellfish. :nonono: :nonono:

Must have clam, and shrimp at the minimum. The only thing I may leave out due to lack of availability is nice firm fish, but would compensate with scallop, and squid. :cool:

Last edited:
Last time I went there, they told me Crater Lake is rarely open before July.

And for gardens, Weyerhaeuser's HQ south of Seattle has a fantastic bonsai garden open to the public.
Weyerhaeuser also has a superb rhododendron garden, and May is probably an ideal time to visit.

:nonono: :nonono:

Dungeness crab may be the [-]virtuoso violinist[/-] main ingredient, but one does not have [-]an orchestra[/-] Cioppino unless there are other accompanying [-]instruments[/-] shellfish. :nonono: :nonono:

Must have clam, and shrimp at the minimum. The only thing I may leave out due to lack of availability is nice firm fish, but would compensate with scallop, and squid. :cool:
Since it is an Italian dish, it seems unlikely that Dungeness crab is a must have.

When I lived on the Pacific, we would wade in the bay at big minus tides, with a washtub tied to our belts, a gasoline lantern in L hand, and a short pole with chicken wire stretched across the hoop. See a crab and up he comes into the washtub. I made one pole with a trident fixed to the other end. Flatfish gets the trident, crab gets the hoop.

If I am going to pay for it in a fish market, its going into a crab louis, or creamed crab. No sense losing that delicate flavor in a fishy tomato soup.

Ha

Since it is an Italian dish, it seems unlikely that Dungeness crab is a must have...
Sorry sir, but if you go to Italy and order Cioppino, people would not know what it is!

Cioppino's origin was San Francisco, and it was created by Italian-American fishermen. As it is one of my favorite dishes, I have done some research into this.

As to eating steamed Dungeness crab by itself, sure I do that too. But just because one enjoys beefsteak does not mean he will rule out beef dishes such as beef bourguignon, oui?

Last edited:
Since it is an Italian dish, it seems unlikely that Dungeness crab is a must have.

Ha
I believe Cioppino is an Portugese-Italian-American invention originating in San Francisco, therefore perhaps Dungeness crab is required.

Oh, I see NW-Bound already beat me with that response.

And I second that Dungeness crab definitely stands up to a spicy fishy tomato base.

Last edited:
Is there a secret to eating Cioppino in a restaurant? It tastes wonderful but awfully messy the way I attacked it once. Can you order it in some easy to eat preparation?

Sorry for the stupid question, no eye rolling please. :)

P.S. I was born in SF.

I believe Cioppino is an Portugese-Italian-American invention originating in San Francisco, therefore perhaps Dungeness crab is required.

Oh, I see NW-Bound already beat me with that response.

And I second that Dungeness crab definitely stands up to a spicy fishy tomato base.
Well, live and learn I guess. Or at least I hope I both live, and learn. I guess you can tell that I am not exactly a big time cook.

Ha

All this talk brings on a craving of Cioppino in me. It is now my quest to make it this coming weekend.

And I made a mistake of looking up an image on the Web. This makes my mouth water even more!

PS. When I had it last in a Seattle's restaurant, the dish was not made right!

They brought me a tiny bowl, while at home I would serve myself a more generous portion, with BIG chunks of crab, and BIG shrimp. Well, big everything!

cioppino.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a secret to eating Cioppino in a restaurant? It tastes wonderful but awfully messy the way I attacked it once. Can you order it in some easy to eat preparation?

Sorry for the stupid question, no eye rolling please. :)

P.S. I was born in SF.
Honestly - I don't think there is a non-messy way to eat it. I think it's supposed to be messy. What we do at home is shell the crab before adding it to the soup :).

And another Cioppino essential is SF sourdough bread to mop up all the fab broth. We can't get real SF sourdough here, but the HEB Central Market frozen ciabatta is darn close! Mmmmmmmmm! My mouth is watering! I think I have one quart of my fish stock left in the freezer........

Well, live and learn I guess. Or at least I hope I both live, and learn. I guess you can tell that I am not exactly a big time cook.

Ha
Fair enough! I also remembered that Cajuns like to put crab in their spicy gumbo, and it works!

The best time to do a road trip like this is late July or early August. The Mt. St. Helen's visitor center won't be open before mid-July (and then it will be spectacular). Crater Lake will be open, and hopefully, most of the snow will be gone.

I did a trip 3 years ago at that same time and Crater Lake was open, but snowed in!

Weather is better in July and August than earlier.

Add to the list: Mt Lassen National Park. This park is made for driving. However, the roads are twisty and may not be comfortable for the rider, as at times you aren't sure where the road is taking you! But rest assured there is pavement there, just the drop-offs are significant. Great little national park in northern central California.

But, really, it depends on the type of scenery and experiences you want to have. Urban, suburban, natural beauty? You mentioned short drives, so really you're best bet is the coast road north of SF to Astoria, then north on I-5 to Vancouver.

But, you have received some great ideas here.

-- Rita

W

The first time we did a road trip like this was 1974 in our green Vega. I remember turning on the radio to hear about the Watergate events as we drove home.

Once we did the trip with our young son in mid-June. The weather was very grey and cool much of the trip. That's why I posted the average weather link above.

The best time to do a road trip like this is late July or early August.
It's hard to convince people of this, because they often come some other time and get very nice weather. Or a friend or family member tells them this. And out weather might be changing. But overall, it can be dreary at times other than those mentioned by Rita, but only rarely during late July and early August.

I remember wearing a down jacket on many a July 4, mainly out in the San Juans. And I've been snowed on big time in the North Cascades in mid August.

Ha

Coast trip

Have been to the Oregon coast a couple of times. Two places to think about seeing are Stout's Grove in the Redwoods (where they filmed parts of The Empire Strikes Back);this is located in Northern California near the Oregon border and my favourite location on the coast, Harris Beach State Park (a wonderful beach with a nice campground close to Brookings)

It's hard to convince people of this, because they often come some other time and get very nice weather. Or a friend or family member tells them this. And out weather might be changing. But overall, it can be dreary at times other than those mentioned by Rita, but only rarely during late July and early August.
So waiting until mid-August is dicey? If one is not in the Cascades, would that be OK?

I'm asking because a lot of kids go back to school around then -- less crowded maybe.

I'm willing to wait until July or August if that's the best time to go.

Have been to the Oregon coast a couple of times. Two places to think about seeing are Stout's Grove in the Redwoods (where they filmed parts of The Empire Strikes Back);this is located in Northern California near the Oregon border and my favourite location on the coast, Harris Beach State Park (a wonderful beach with a nice campground close to Brookings)

DW is a big Star Wars fan so that's going to be an easy sale.:)

So waiting until mid-August is dicey? If one is not in the Cascades, would that be OK?

I'm asking because a lot of kids go back to school around then -- less crowded maybe.
If you mean August 15th or so, very likely you would have good weather. The snow I referred to was a week or 10 days after that, and I was goat hunting above Hart's pass which I think is itself at 6000' or so. Lately we have had quite good weather. I am not the best witness, I just tend to deal with when it comes and I mostly am optimistic that the weather will be nice.

People plan these huge trips which might include large elevation changes and everything from high mountains to beaches, and almost 15 degrees of latitude, so I'd say it's hard to be very accurate with suggestions. The North Cascades Hiway is one of America's prettiest roads, and usually is open by late April. If you want to go hiking, the trails up off here are another question, and likely most of them are better tackled in July or August.

Harts Pass to Jim Pass | Trail Running || SeriousRunning.com

WSDOT - SR 20 - North Cascades Highway

Things To Do in Washington - North Cascades National Park

North Cascades Mountains of Washington State - Go Northwest! A Travel Guide

Ha

Last edited:

But not in Oregon or Washington. There kids don't return to school until September.

Back
Top Bottom