Suggestions for Italy in April 2010 - Florence and Rome

Spent a month there some years ago: Pisa, Venice, Rome, Florence. Pisa is not worth the time really in my opinion. Just another small city, and, once you've seen the Leaning Tower (big whoops), you are done. I was there for a week and was bored out of my mind, but I had met a nice Italian parachute jumper for one of their Armed Services who kept me semi-busy (ahhh, memories of my wild and misspent youth). But, no, Pisa is not worth it.
If you can swing Venice do so as it is a city like you will never see again. It's really unique the way they live. But, if not, you will enjoy Rome and especially Florence alot as there is much to do in those cities. The Italians are used to tourists and very friendly all over.
My one warning to you would be to watch your money carefully, and never trust anyone to give you the correct change. I had more than one try and shortchange me in the major cities in Europe.
You could always check into a Eurail pass for the time you are there instead of driving. Might be easier on you as you could just sit back and ride the train instead of jacking around with trying to remember which road to take and which side to drive on and so forth. Just my opinion.
Get one of those Italy on $X a day. They can be pretty good sources of information.
If you can get to some of the flea markets in Rome or Florence, you should have a really fun experience. You'll be banging elbows with the natives and learn alot there about how they think and live. Definitely worth the time if you have it.
Eat some Bel Paese cheese while you are there for me and have a blast!

We just returned from a 25 day trip to Italy, Greece, and Turkey. 11 Days on the Celebrity Solstice cruise ship and the other time spent in Rome and Florence. This was our second trip to Italy and again we found it to be an amazing place. I agree with other posters that you should not pack to much into your days. There is so much to see in both cities and the Tuscan countryside is a must see.

Before our first trip to Italy in 2007 I posted about it here on the forum and asked for recommendations on Rome hotels. Someone posted that they had just stayed at the Hotel Lancelot and loved it. Hotel Lancelot is located about two blocks from the Colissium in a residential area. It is a six story building and they have terrace rooms that look out on the colissium (which is beautiful at night). It is a family owned hotel and we loved it so much we stayed there again on this last trip. They have a website.

In Florence we rented an apartment from Initaly.com. Check out there website also.

Back
Top Bottom