Taking DW to Europe - Help Wanted!

Just wow! And heartfelt thanks to the community. I will incorporate many suggestions into our "maiden voyage." After reading the counsel here (both on line and PM), I'll probably drop Rome for some day trips out of London and Paris.

Thanks to all. I promise to send a post trip report. Without a doubt, best forum ever. Thanks for letting me in.

After reading the counsel here (both on line and PM), I'll probably drop Rome for some day trips out of London and Paris.

We did a month month long trip to Europe earlier this summer, including almost a week in London and over a week in Paris plus surrounding area.

Enjoyed 1-2 hour boat trips in both :)

Did a day trip out of London that was a bus ride to Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Bath (including tour of Roman baths). While DW had been to all before, it was my first time, and I enjoyed it. Long day (about 12 hours) out of Victoria Coach Station, happy to let someone else do the driving.

Multi day trip out of Paris to the Normandy area. Stayed in Bayeux, which was not bombed during D day. We went primarily to have day trips to Mont St Michel and do a D day tour of Normandy beaches and historic points. But we found we really enjoyed our stay in Bayeux. Delightful old town with historic cathedral, walking the streets and eating at outdoor cafes, wonderful.

You'll never be able to do it all, so my suggestion is to pick what you like, go with the flow, and enjoy the journey without worrying so much about the destination. :dance:

You don’t have to spend $1000 but with limited mobility, maybe a really nice hotel with views would be something to consider, as well as amenities if touring becomes too difficult.

Unfortunately to see the architecture in these cities, it’s hard to avoid walking and especially on uneven, stone surfaces, not to mention some places in London around the City which could be uphill.

I agree with the suggestion to use taxis or Uber instead of going underground up and down stairs for the subway. Rome has very limited metro lines.

You can figure out bus lines with Citymapper app but would need mobile data.

Just walking along the Thames and Seine will let you see the grand architecture in those cities. In Rome, the most scenic sights are Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori and Spanish Steps (its possible to get up there by taxi so you don’t have to climb the steps). Of course Vatican and St. Peter’s Square for more grand architecture.

For nature, you can take day trips out of the cities, though London and Paris both have large parks, expansive green spaces, such as Hyde Park, St. James Park in London and Jardin de Luxembourg in Paris. There is also Champ de Mars, by the Eiffel Tower and Jardin de Tuileries, which runs alon the Right Bank of the Seine between the Louvre and Place de la Concorde.

For day trips, I haven’t been to Cambridge and Oxford but much more bucolic. Other popular places would be Windsor Castle, Stonehenge and Bath. I took a coach tour which went to these 3places.

I don’t know if people go to Brighton on a day trip but it’s a seaside town which seems to be relatively close to London.

For Paris, you have Versailles, with huge grounds and garden. Faux-le-Vicomte is another palace with gardens but on a much smaller and grander scale. IIRC Louis the 14th confiscated this palace from one of his ministers and then decided to build Versailles as well. Giverny is suppose to be a lush garden which inspired Monet in his later years.

From Rome, there is Villa d’Este. Some operators will take you as far as Florence and bring you back in the same day but that sounds exhausting. You may be able to go to Orvieto on a day trip. Won’t see big Renaissance buildings there as you would in Florence but Orvieto is up on a hill overlooking the surrounding landscape.
Because op wrote this:
"DW has limited mobility. No wheelchair, walker, etc, but a slow mile is about her limit.", I stayed away from recommending the likes of Versailles & Windsor Castle.

Maybe renting a wheelchair would be something to consider then.

I’ve seen people wheeled around tours.

Late to the thread.

First - I think it's great you are laying out a trip to suit your wife's needs and your common interests.

I agree with your decision to cut rome and spend the time between London and Paris.

Uber is easy and available in both cities. Use it to go between sights you want to see. While I love the tube and metro - it adds a lot of walking too/from your stops and through the stations.

Here are my top picks, by city, based on your stated interest in architecture and nature.

London:
Kensington Gardens/Kensington Palace. The gardens are beautiful, especially the Princess Diana memorial garden on the east side of the palace.

The Tower of London. A guided tour will add a lot to this sight... finding out which queen was held where before beheading, etc. Plus there are the crown jewels. (Although that might be too museum-y for your taste.)

Hampton Palace. Absolutely stunning palace and gorgeous gardens. You can do a boat trip up the Thames to Hampton for a nice way to get there.

Westminster Abbey.

Bourough Market. - an open air market with *amazing* food. Lots of hustle and bustle... great for people watching.

Paris:

Pre-book the Eiffel tower elevator ride to the top. Well worth it - but it must be pre-booked.

Lunch or dinner on a boat on the Seine.

For a nice daytrip - Versailles. Not just the palace/museum... but the beautiful gardens.

Notre Dame

Sainte Chappele - a gorgeous church near Notre Dame that has the most amazing stained glass windows. Pick a sunny day to maximise effect.

I like museums - so take this for what it's worth.... But the Musee d'Orsay and the Louvre are worth it for the architecture... And if you choose to do these - DO get the museum pass - it's worth it for the line skipping feature. The lines at both get very long - but you bypass the lines with the museum pass. If you choose to do the Louvre - the crowds around the Mona Lisa are insane - but there are no crowds at the Medici gallery with the wonderful Peter Paul Rubens portraits.

I'm going to suggest thinking about a theater Matinee on the West End.it's a great part of London and would get your DW off her feet for a few hours in the middle of the day.

We skipped the Louvre, and instead got a combo ticket for Musee D'Orsay and Musee de l'Orangerie - a smaller museum with an absolutely stunning display of large Monet

We did this before visiting the Monet gardens in Giverny, for which we took a mini-van tour which ironed out a lot of logistics plus hotel pick-up transportation.

But if art is not your thing - then skip the museums.

We skipped the Louvre, and instead got a combo ticket for Musee D'Orsay and Musee de l'Orangerie - a smaller museum with an absolutely stunning display of large Monet

We did this before visiting the Monet gardens in Giverny, for which we took a mini-van tour which ironed out a lot of logistics plus hotel pick-up transportation.

They're all great architecturally too.

I visited the Louvre before they built the Pyramid.

There wasn't even air conditioning so they would open the windows overlooking the Seine to let in the breeze.

Now of course, it's climate and lighting-controlled to protect the works and artifacts.

We were on a cruise that landed at Le Havre. We hired a taxi to take us to Giverney. It was worth every cent!

Attachments

• IMG_8200.JPG
    IMG_8200.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 22
If your wife has limited mobility, I would rent a car and visit places outside the major cities. Keep in mind when you start using public transportation such as trains, there is a lot of walking involved. The English countryside is really nice and driving there is fun (or at least different). Driving is pretty easy in France and Italy outside the major cities.

The cities are extremely crowded now. We were in London about 8 days ago. It's a great city, but it was swarmed with tourists. Plus there was a cycling event going on which made the traffic situation even worse. The wait times are extremely long for the popular attractions. The wait times are pretty long at popular restaurants too and many don't take reservations unless you have a party of 6 or greater. We were also in Brighton, which was pretty crowded also but a fun place none the less. They really know how to party in the UK.

As for Paris, the Batobus service will take you to most major attractions through the Seine. You can hop on and hop off at the various stops. You won't see all that much from a boat other than the walls bridges and sides of buildings but it is a fast way to get to each attraction. But be aware that from the stop to the attraction there many stairs some walking involved. As for Rome, I would use a taxi service, if you don't want to drive.

Some ideas in Rome for those who like architecture. We walked, but I assume you can take Uber to all of them.

1. The Pantheon - 2000 years old and still the largest concrete dome in existence. I liked it so much that we went twice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheon,_Rome

2. St. Peter's Basilica - shockingly large and quite beautiful. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Peter's_Basilica

3. Bramante's Tempietto -- on the Janiculum Hill https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Pietro_in_Montorio#The_Tempietto

4. The nearby Mausoleum Ossuary dedicated to the Garibaldini who died defending the Roman Republic. Dettaglio

5. Continuing up the Janiculum Hill (il Gianicolo) - stop at the top and look out over all of Rome. Especially spectacular are the views from the Villa Lante https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Lante_al_Gianicolo and the lighthouse (Faro). Lighthouse of Gianicolo (or Janiculum), Rome - Places In Rome Shown By "Map G Zone" - Alphabetical Index of all places In Rome (Roma)

6. The Forum Boarium - you can see two spectacular temples from the Republican era https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_Boarium and also visit the Bocca della Verita, made famous in the movie Roman Holiday https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bocca_della_Verità This is also right next to the Tiber River.

7. The Ara Pacis - also along the river, but a taxi ride away from the Boarium. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ara_Pacis

We were on a cruise that landed at Le Havre. We hired a taxi to take us to Giverney. It was worth every cent!
I forgot to mention this & was going to come back to it. Totally agree. The flower garden is spectacular.

Just wow! And heartfelt thanks to the community. I will incorporate many suggestions into our "maiden voyage." After reading the counsel here (both on line and PM), I'll probably drop Rome for some day trips out of London and Paris.

Thanks to all. I promise to send a post trip report. Without a doubt, best forum ever. Thanks for letting me in.
Out of London, Blenheim Palace - where Churchill grew up - is good in itself, but the gardens/landscape are great. He's buried in churchyard nearby. Don't know if trip exists, but Oxford & Blenheim as a day would be quite nice.

In Paris we took a dinner cruise down the Seine with Bateau le Calife. It was the highlight of our trip.

We lived across the street from Le Calife.

Always took visitors on the dinner cruise....a bit cheaper than the Bauteau Mouche dinners but the Bauteau Mouche also offers day time tours for just a few Euros.

You can get to the top of the Eiffel Tower anytime (long lines most days) for sightseeing; dinner is half-way up and does require a looongg reservation time. Can set you back $1K for two though.

If in Paris do try to get to Ste Chappelle on a sunny day. Fabulous stained glass; puts Notre Dame to shame (sort of).

Last edited:
I am currently in Europe and visited a few countries this time. If you want to save money, take buses.

Multi day trip out of Paris to the Normandy area. Stayed in Bayeux, which was not bombed during D day. We went primarily to have day trips to Mont St Michel and do a D day tour of Normandy beaches and historic points. But we found we really enjoyed our stay in Bayeux. Delightful old town with historic cathedral, walking the streets and eating at outdoor cafes, wonderful.
Yes we did the same thing on a trip to Paris. DW was not keen but admitted afterward that she really enjoyed it. Bayeux was untouched in both wars so lots of history. The cemeteries were very humbling.

We also took a side trip to Honfleur which was also fantastic. Such a contrast to Le Havre!

But we found we really enjoyed our stay in Bayeux. Delightful old town with historic cathedral, walking the streets and eating at outdoor cafes, wonderful.
Found the Tapestry amazing.

We went to London, Paris and Normandy last year, one thing we loved was a tour in a 2CV Citroen car. They were build from 1948-90 It is a small vehicle - holds driver and three adults. We did the hour tour at 10 PM so we could see the lights of paris. The car is small, and the driver provides a tour as you go. I think it would be a great replacement for walking around and seeing the architecture. We mentioned we hadn't seen the back of Notre Dame, and so in a few minutes we were on a small bridge by the Seine looking at the back in lights that was beautiful.

The company we used was ["2CV Paris Tours,]" and was very reasonable for an hour tour, but they have more extensive tours if it is in your budget that take you around the city and will hit small streets a larger tour will not hit. There are other companies that have similar tours as well. They also picked us up at the flat we rented, so no walking needed there.

Also if you have a working smart phone, in London we used the city mapper app. it told us which bus would get us from a-b. It gave arrival times by the bus stop. Saved us a lot of waiting around and allowed us to use the public buses as our own hop on hop off

Cheers

[mod edit] to remove embedded link.

Last edited by a moderator:
We went to London, Paris and Normandy last year, one thing we loved was a tour in a 2CV Citroen car. They were build from 1948-90 It is a small vehicle - holds driver and three adults. We did the hour tour at 10 PM so we could see the lights of paris. The car is small, and the driver provides a tour as you go. I think it would be a great replacement for walking around and seeing the architecture. We mentioned we hadn't seen the back of Notre Dame, and so in a few minutes we were on a small bridge by the Seine looking at the back in lights that was beautiful.

The company we used was ["2CV Paris Tours,]" and was very reasonable for an hour tour, but they have more extensive tours if it is in your budget that take you around the city and will hit small streets a larger tour will not hit. There are other companies that have similar tours as well. They also picked us up at the flat we rented, so no walking needed there.

Also if you have a working smart phone, in London we used the city mapper app. it told us which bus would get us from a-b. It gave arrival times by the bus stop. Saved us a lot of waiting around and allowed us to use the public buses as our own hop on hop off

Cheers

[mod edit] to remove embedded link.

OP here. I remember the Citerons! When I was stationed in Germany (1980's) the locals called them ducks because of the way they waddled down the road. The 2 is for the huge 2 cylinder engine. And they were safe enough to give the Ford Pinto a 5 star crash rating by comparison. :LOL: I will look into them for our Paris stop.

Update on the thread. We are going to London, Cologne, and Paris. Cologne is a short respite from the chaos of the mega-cities. DW and I agreed on this. I travelled alot to Europe in "the day," and and touristpalooza is more than I can take at times (and I know where to hide in Koln).

We are using AIRBNB, instead of hotels. We've had great success with them and don't care for hotels in Europe (stateside, we like the extended stay places with more room, a kitchen, etc.). We have river front accommodations in all three cities. We will use the river "buses" and taxi/Uber extensively, with minimal use of public transit. I'm also buying the "speedpass" for lots of attractions. Our flights are Virgin Atlantic (Delta code share) in the cabin between economy and the lie flat beds (not the front of economy with a little extra leg room, but a separate cabin section with the wider seats, foot rest, plated (dog) food etc).

Our trains are either Eurostar or Thalys. I do first class based on my experience from my w*rking days (maybe a thread on this another day).

Bought DW a couple of good (collapsible) walking sticks - she likes them. Plan B is snagging a wheelchair in country (prob donate when we leave). BTW, most of you have read between the lines. I've travelled parts of Europe extensively. This trip is all about DW. She had a difficult life. Her enjoyment is all that matters.

Once again, my profound and sincere thanks to the forum members. We've incorporated many suggestions into our itinerary. I promise to submit a boring travel link upon return. :)

Get an Eyewitness travel guidebook for each city. Absolute best series.

They include architectural highlights and other cultural things that most guidebooks cover only very lightly.

Hotel, dining, and shopping recommendations are included. Terrific books.

FYI you can climb to the top of the Cologne cathedral, but I would not recommend it for your wife.
Also. wheelchairs can be a struggle between cobblestone streets. uneven sidewalks, and the fact the curbs are not cut. A better idea would be a 4 wheel walker with a seat. I volunteer repairing them at a hospice and would recommend one.
Also, you can take one with you and they will take it at the bottom of the jetway and store it until you deplane.

Back
Top Bottom