Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
No, I completely disagree with you. I exchange thru Interval, and I can assign the exchange to anyone I like. I've assigned my timeshare weeks to relatives and friends without any problem. Someone could pay me for that week, and I could assign any name I want to assign for that week with Interval. As long as you have a driver's license ID, the resort will take you in if you have the Interval exchange certificate in your name.
Renting II exchanges for profit is against II's rules/policy. You can give it away but are not supposed to rent it out, same with Getaways, can give it away at cost plus guest certificate but can not rent for profit

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

So my first post goes here instead of in the Hi, I am so and so page. This was more interesting. My DW and I are about to retire, as for myself in less than 1 year. We have been using our two timeshare weeks for many years now with lots of success anywhere we have gone. We are members of Interval International and as such we trade our weeks more often than if we used them at our home resort. We bought both weeks at foreclosure prices and pay our yearly fees which are very reasonable. We trade for places all over the world and even in the Uniti4ed States have had amazing places in Hawaii, Park City, Utah, Palm Dessert, the Oregon Coast, Vegas, and Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale. We have even traded a week against a cruise vacation. The trick with any timeshare ownership is you get out of it what time you put into it, and we work the system well. We also take advantage of getaways where we can routinely pick up weeks at very nice resorts for just a couple hundred $$ a week, and we can put any other family members name on the guest certificate and gift a week to someone too, so it gives us lots of versatility. BUT, watch out for those timeshare presentations, we did not buy our thru any of those and many of those are just scary. When I can exchange a week for a villa in Palm Dessert for $179 a week and the place goes for $750 a night and is bigger than my first house, well the family thinks we have done all right. Gotta do your homework if you think of using a timeshare. Do it right and you will be happy.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:37 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
No, I completely disagree with you. I exchange thru Interval, and I can assign the exchange to anyone I like. I've assigned my timeshare weeks to relatives and friends without any problem. Someone could pay me for that week, and I could assign any name I want to assign for that week with Interval.
Yes you can transfer the exchange to friends/family through a guest certificate but you cannot rent it out based on Intervals rules. The TUG forum has reported that Interval members have lost their membership from renting out their exchanges/getaways.

From Intervals Terms and Conditions:

Quote:
Members are expressly prohibited from exchanging or renting the Host Accommodations, including, but not limited to offering the Host Accommodations for sale or rent to third parties through the use of a Guest Certificate or otherwise.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnora View Post
So my first post goes here instead of in the Hi, I am so and so page. This was more interesting. My DW and I are about to retire, as for myself in less than 1 year. We have been using our two timeshare weeks for many years now with lots of success anywhere we have gone. We are members of Interval International and as such we trade our weeks more often than if we used them at our home resort. We bought both weeks at foreclosure prices and pay our yearly fees which are very reasonable. We trade for places all over the world and even in the Uniti4ed States have had amazing places in Hawaii, Park City, Utah, Palm Dessert, the Oregon Coast, Vegas, and Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale. We have even traded a week against a cruise vacation. The trick with any timeshare ownership is you get out of it what time you put into it, and we work the system well. We also take advantage of getaways where we can routinely pick up weeks at very nice resorts for just a couple hundred $$ a week, and we can put any other family members name on the guest certificate and gift a week to someone too, so it gives us lots of versatility. BUT, watch out for those timeshare presentations, we did not buy our thru any of those and many of those are just scary. When I can exchange a week for a villa in Palm Dessert for $179 a week and the place goes for $750 a night and is bigger than my first house, well the family thinks we have done all right. Gotta do your homework if you think of using a timeshare. Do it right and you will be happy.
We own 5 timeshares all bought on the resale market and use the same way and will retire in a year as well. you can spend the entire winter months in florida using getaways.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
We own 5 timeshares all bought on the resale market and use the same way and will retire in a year as well. you can spend the entire winter months in florida using getaways.

When you say "getaways" are you saying timeshares or something else? thanks!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by green night View Post
When you say "getaways" are you saying timeshares or something else? thanks!
Not sure which he meant, but with II, timeshare exchanges are different than getaways but both are great deals. Sometimes we use both for an extended stay somewhere.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:24 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
I was talking about getaways that are timeshares in II. Exchanges are different.

Here is an example of timesharing year round using both exchanges and getaways. I think this couple uses mostly RCI and not II .

http://fulltimetimeshare.com/blog | Mike and Edie's adventures travelling from time share to time share for 2 to 5 years