Tip for valet parking in NYC

Anyone who says you don't have to tip someone making minimum wage in the most expensive city in North America should stay home in Arkansas. Or park their own car. It is important to understand the economics of the service industry. Especially if you're a repeat customer. Having working in food service, I can assure you that everyone who waits on you knows if you're a good, average, or cheap tipper. Frankly, if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to partake in personal services.

My Mom who worked as a waitress in Florida for many years used to say Whats the difference between a Canadian and a canoe?

The canoe tips:D

I lived in northern New Jersey for 28 years so I also need a fix especially a pizza fix . The pizza in Florida is not real pizza . It's Domino's or Papa John's . A new place will open and they'll advertise New York pizza . Well they must lose the recipes on the drive down because it is not New York or New Jersey pizza . It is generic dough with sauce and topping . No grease , No great crust , No sun dried tomatoes , No white pizza , No pizza that makes you droll , No cheese that is falling off the slice ! You could turn Florida pizza upside down and not lose anything . I'm going to introduce my redneck SO to this culinary wonder . He'll be ruined forever .

This reminded me of the pizza I just had in Texas. Another reason on why not to move to Texas Wahoo :D

I've lived in several areas of the country, and in the majority of them not only is it not possible to get genuine Neopolitan (aka - really good NYC) pizza, the people there woudn't eat it if they could. I've seen a handful of places fail because the pizza wasn't like pizza hut, or it was "too greasy" (duh - its called olive oil), or the crust wasn't thick enough. Ironically, most pizza in NYC isn't very good either. You're limited to a relatively small number of real artisanal pizzerias and lot of mediocre local places (as often as not, like Mexican takeout places, run by Chinese people).

So when they ask, "what will you do in retirement" you can always tell the truth, "I'm looking for the best pizza joint and a backup joint." Illustrate that.

For cities like San Francisco and Manhattan we drive to long term parking at the airport and take the train into town. Saves much money.

Back
Top Bottom