Traveling - What do you do with your cats?

Years ago we had a cat sitter who locked herself out of our house. She called fire dept, asked neighbors for help then someone found back slider unlocked. Neighbors told us it was quite the entertaining event.

We ask local pet supply shops, vets & neighbors for referrals.

Now with 4 dogs the sitter costs almost as much as some trips, yikes! But it is a cost of travel like gas for car or parking at airports.

I have left my three dogs (at the time) outside for up to 9 days with food and water.

Cats can go a month easy. Just have someone clean the litter box and make sure they are ok.

Thank you all for your posts!

A lot of you get a house sitter who pet sits. Do you worry at all that they will do something stupid? Will your home insurance cover if anything should happen, even though someone else is living in your house while you're gone?

Yes, I did worry when we had sitters, and also as a sitter I was concerned about liability. As a homeowner, I made sure my neighbor checked on the sitter periodically and confirmed with them that the sitter was actually there consistently. I also made sure the sitter knew I had a neighbor keeping an eye on the place - and them.

Not sure what exactly our homeowners would cover - but now trustedhousitters automatically provides insurance coverage for both parties (included in membership). That gives me MUCH more peace of mind. As a sitter, I also paid for a criminal background check to be completed on us, so that homeowners would have more confidence in us.

Also, I thoroughly interviewed and investigated all sitters and their references.

We have a house/pet sitting person come when we go away. So far, never more than 2 weeks at a time, though. She charges $50/day and we include that in our trip planning as a necessary expense.

Wow... maybe I should start doing this as a hobby, I could make enough $$ to do more trips . :cool:

I will have to start the search process again for a sitter since I just moved. In the prior place I had good luck with cat sitters already vetted by others from the local Facebook cat owners group. I had a front door lock with a code that I could create and delete for the sitter. I changed the batteries right before I left to prevent lockouts. I also had a Blink camera pointed at the cat feeding area. The cat sitters hated it, but it did give me great peace of mind. In my old area the price was $20 to $25 for once a day feeding and litter scoop.

Quid Pro Quo

We're very fortunate to have longtime neighbors that we are friendly with, but not necessarily best friends. We trust them enough to check on the cats.

And likewise, we do the same for them.

This is very fortunate. We basically never take vacation the same time, so we're good to go to check on each other's cats when away. I'd say we've been gone a little more than them, but they are so kind to not complain.

I hope that Senator doesn’t have anymore pets because that’s neglect.

I thought the whole idea of cats was that you didn't have to do anything?

Don't tell the ASPCA, but we used to leave our two cats ALONE for 2 weeks - in the winter. If possible, we would have FIL stop in once or twice just to check the heat, etc.

We slit open a bag of cat food, opened the toilets (cats preferred toilet to cat-bowl for drinking), rigged a 150 watt spot light over a cat bed, prepared cardboard boxes lined with plastic and filled with fresh litter - 4 total boxes for 2 cats for 2 weeks - dump upon return. Just in case and because heat COULD be iffy, we dripped water into pans in all the sinks. Cats were acrobats, so no problem getting to the pans.

Never had any worse problem than bored cats taking revenge on an already destroyed chair. I don't think we would have gone this route with only ONE cat. YMMV

I used to be able to leave my two cats at home for 2-3 days with extra litter boxes and extra food, but they were used to free-feeding, and they didn't binge-eat. My current two cats are fed only three times a day and the amount of food we feed them is measured. They're not a free-feeding type. They would probably get crazy fat in a week's time.

House/cat sitter for $600 for 22 days.

We have a house/pet sitting person come when we go away. So far, never more than 2 weeks at a time, though. She charges $50/day and we include that in our trip planning as a necessary expense.

Similar to above, I hired a cat sitter for a 2 week vacation. First she interviewed me by phone, then met me and my kitty at my home to decide whether or not to take the job. She only looks after cats, but loves dogs too. She has relationships with two vets, and has training as a vet tech.

She required daily 30 minute visits at the minimum, but also offered twice daily and even overnight (8 hours). I scheduled a variety of these visits, as my kitten was a stray and fairly new to me at the time. She texted me pictures every day and even stayed extra to be there for the AC repairman when my AC broke. The expense was worth it to me for peace of mind.

I did not mean to get a pet, but this cute kitty showed up at my house and I couldn't resist...this wasn't in my budget, but it is now!!

On the last trip, at the CDG airport in Paris waiting to board the plane back to the US, we saw a woman letting out her cat from a carrier at the terminal. Being cat lovers, we were interested and watched it explore around.

It turned out that the woman was a fellow passenger when she took the cat onboard. During the whole flight, starting from take-off, the poor thing was scared and meowed off and on for an 11-hour flight. It did not bother us that much, but other passengers were really annoyed. We just felt bad for the kitty.

We do not have a cat now, but both my son and daughter have an indoor cat. When traveling, they arrange for a friend to come visit every few days to check on their cats.

Unlike most of you, we board our cats. The last couple of vets that we had were able to board our cats (and our dogs) right there. I felt that was a winning situation. The pets had good care from their regular vet and I felt they were in as safe a situation as possible. Since we had more than one pet and were customers of the vet's office they always gave us a discount. The dogs (larger dogs) were more than the cats.

In some ways I love the idea of having someone come to my house to feed them and take care of them. But I have heard too many stories of people's pets getting out. The pet sitter didn't securely close a door. The pet escaped when the sitter came in. That kind of thing. I just don't trust anyone enough to feel confident. Boarding them is more expensive but the peace of mind was worth it.

This is something I also think about, but I don't have cats.

I'm still working, but I think I will eventually get rid of my pets. Saves money and allows me to be away for months at a time. I'd probably just buy a super cool looking Beta fish to keep as a pet and then drop it off at a friend's house while I'm gone.

My neighbor house sits for people. I think this would be your best bet. That way your house is looked after, your cats get taken care of, your plants get watered, etc.

We're sitters for trustedhousesitters.com* -- we spent 120 days in Europe with no lodging cost in 2017, and about 8 pet-and-homeowners saved a ton of money by engaging us.

DW's sister is on the other side of the deal, and "hires" sitters through the site when we travel together.

They provide insurance, an emergency vet line, and a great website for reviews and searches.

I know that some folks would never have strangers in their homes, but an awful lot of people are just fine with it.

One surprising thing -- you end up in places you'd never book as a tourist, and love them. Hastings, England, on Guy Fawkes weekend. A farm in southwest Wales. Two suburbs of London we'd never heard of. And a cute little town near Zurich where the cows actually wear bells.

* Message me if you'd like a discount code.

I have left my three dogs (at the time) outside for up to 9 days with food and water.

Cats can go a month easy. Just have someone clean the litter box and make sure they are ok.
Cats can just be dropped off at a local farm. Farmers are always looking for mousers in the barns. When you get back, just pick a few of them up. You may like the new cats better than the old ones.

(I'm kidding ;))

Last edited:
I had cats for years and am a cat lover. Our cats were always indoor cats and generally we had three at a time. They also were eccentric strains such as Ocicats or Siamese so had some behavioral anomalies. That said they were, as all cats are, independent and not particularly loyal to us. Our cats were also not over-eaters (most cats only eat what they need and only mentally disturbed cats overeat) and subsisted on mostly dry food (Science Diet) and we normally left a large bowl out and it was on a timer to reload food on a schedule. I had a similar system for the water bowl which also refilled itself as necessary and had a filtration system. When we went on trips up to 2 weeks at a time we left them alone. I also had a self cleaning cat litter box system which could handle 2 weeks okay. So, we locked them out of wherever we didn't want them destroying and left them alone. They have each other for company and I think looking at videos (our house was on a complete video surveillance system) there was no noticeable difference in their behavior while we were gone. Cats just don't care all that much what we do. Maybe they get a bit angry and piss on your pillow or something but otherwise they are fine. I always left the toilets open as an emergency source of water. But 2 weeks was always okay. Longer you might need someone to come in a refill the food hopper, replenish/clean the watering system, and change out the litter system.

Seriously:confused:
I hope that Senator doesn’t have anymore pets because that’s neglect.

Yes, the three dogs were fine. They were outside and had a insulated dog house. They stayed outside if we were not home anyway. A large fenced yard.

It was Spring, and they had plenty of food in a large hopper feeder and water. When we got back, there was always more food than they ate and plenty of water.

There is no requirement that dogs get to sleep in your bed. Just shelter, food and water. Many dogs are in a chain all day, with the same food and water. And that is OK.

Cats can just be dropped off at a local farm. Farmers are always looking for mousers in the barns. When you get back, just pick a few of them up. You may like the new cats better than the old ones.

(I'm kidding ;))

I will save that story for another day...

Last edited:
Yes, the three dogs were fine. They were outside and had a insulated dog house. They stayed outside if we were not home anyway. A large fenced yard.

It was Spring, and they had plenty of food in a large hopper feeder and water. When we got back, there was always more food than they ate and plenty of water.

There is no requirement that dogs get to sleep in your bed. Just shelter, food and water. Many dogs are in a chain all day, with the same food and water. And that is OK.

I will save that story for another day...

It most certainly is not. Many states have laws about chaining or tethering dogs, and in many locales it is illegal to do so for more than a few hours.

https://www.animallaw.info/topic/table-state-dog-tether-laws

Last edited:
If one had a medical problem no one cared. Dogs are pack animals and need attention. Cats may seem aloof but also need attention. Animals are like children and if you aren’t willing to take care of them don’t have them. I am disgusted by a few of the responses.

Find another cat person that you can trade off with. I have a friend I play tennis with and she is from Germany, her husband is from Canada. When they go on long trips to visit family, I take care of her two cats and she looks after mine when I go away.

As for long trips, well, that's the downside of pet ownership. I don't think its fair to leave an animal alone for longer than a week and a half.

I have had cats for forty years. Usually, only one at a time. However, last year a friend had two kittens that she had gotten for her son to raise until they were old enough to come to their farm and be indoor/outdoor cats. But then found her husband really didn't want them inside and she would not leave them out 24/7, so was going to surrender them to a shelter. I had kept them during a couple of family weekend trips and really loved them. I didn't want more cats, but couldn't bear to see them caged in a shelter and possibly separated. I had rescued my older cat from the shelter 3 days before he was scheduled to be euthanized and learned he had been kept in his tiny cage 24 hours a day for nearly 7 weeks. No animal should be imprisoned like that. Anyway, he can't be left in cages now and goes into near meltdown, spinning and crying out, just being in a carrier for the 15 minute trip to the vet. I have only found one place that doesn't keep them in cages. There they have a 5x10 room with an outside window, a glass door facing the play area, a tower, a shelf with a little house and a rocking chair. They let the cats into the play area for an hour at a time all day, so lots of time outside the room. It is $40/day, which was great with one cat. However, with 3 cats there it is more expensive than my trips. If I put all three in one room, they still charge $40 for the 1st, $32 for the 2nd, and $28 for the 3rd. $100/day is just ridiculous since I provide all their food and, though I don't have to, I bring my own litter and an extra litter box, as theirs are too small for my older 20lb cat. So, now that I am trying to live on social security and only taking about $10-$12k/yr from retirement savings, trips are out of the question. I have no close family, or friends who would want to come often or live in. I have paid professional sitters in the past to come twice a day, but upon returning early once found that they had not been for days and just left a ton of food in the bowl. 2 litter boxes were full and that one cat would have taken at least 3 days to go that much. So, I won't trust strangers again. Plus, with 4 litter boxes for my three cats, I still clean them 3 times a day. My older cat mostly eats only canned food, so you can't leave enough out for days. Plus, they won't even eat it after a few hours, when it has gotten a little dry.

It is kind of a sacrifice to never go on any trips. I do have to go overnight, once a year, to put flowers on the family cemetery, but I do that in one day and will probably pay the $100 for them to be boarded, but other than that my friends will have to come visit me. I have plenty of room. My babies are worth staying home to care for. I'd do the same for a child who needed constant attention and they are my children. I continually look for a boarding facility that doesn't cage them (no matter how large the cage), and us more reasonable than the one I have been using.

Back
Top Bottom