Trip Cancellation/Interruption from Chase CC with 2 passports

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are dual citizens. My 2 passports show exactly the same name, though DW's are slightly different when one has her maiden name in it. I am currently in our home country and just booked a trip to Japan using our home country passports and names.

I now want to charge with my Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card to cover Trip cancellation/Interruption benefit. There are also some medical benefit and evacuation coverage. My Chase CC also has the same name as my passports already.

I have been using the same credit card and US passports from US to Europe for both of us. I wonder if using it for our Japan trip with home country passports will provide the same benefits? Will Chase care if DW's name is now slightly different when I charge the card with her as my companion, if we ever need to file a claim? Or will Chase insist that we use US passports when booking trips, since the card was issued from US?

Last edited:
I think this is a question you definitely need to ask Chase about. I would not base my decision on advice from anonymous folks on the internet. It could be messy if you do need to make a claim without confirmation ahead of time that your wife is traveling under her maiden name but I would think that would be covered and you would simply have to prove that she is your wife.

Of course check with Chase for the real answer (and let us know).

My guess is:
But just thinking about it, as long as you travel with the person and paid for the trip, most coverage from Credit Cards don't care if it's your wife or girlfriend. They cover you and the person traveling with you if you paid for the trip.

Yup - check with Chase. I've had very good customer service with CSR. It's one of my 2 long term "high fee" cards. Best!

I called Chase Benefit Administrator. Their position is that I will need to make sure my name on card is the same as my name on airline reservation/itinerary. As to my wife, they will ask for copy of marriage certificate to establish relationship with me. They will not check which passport that we use, as long as I can show them the correct names and marriage relationship.

I hope to never file a claim but you never know.

Back
Top Bottom