Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
I am 6'3" tall and I find regular economy on long flights when the person in front of me puts their seat back, to be intolerable. I have used economy plus, and on my last flight, premium economy, to get more room. I think that economy plus is totally worth it, while premium economy is more of an indulgence.

One note of caution on the exit rows; if they have a large space in front of them, people will tend to stand there on long flights to stretch or while waiting for the bathroom. That can prevent you from getting any rest. I prefer the last row before the exit so I can put my seat back guilt free.
On all the planes I have been on recently, the seats in front of any exit row do not recline.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Yes, definitely worth not risking a blood clot!
You have a slight increase risk of blood clot every time you fly a significant distance and there is no good evidence that 'economy' v 'economy plus' is going to make a difference. Stay hydrated and get up and walk around the cabin frequently are likely your best bets.

I have never felt the need for the upgrade but I love air travel. Always happy to have someone else pay for me to ride up front or get a free or low points upgrade but personally hard to lay down cash. Who knows as I age maybe I will see enough value. Much good advice on the cost-benefit.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #23

I'm 6'2" also, and I swore I would never fly on a flight over 2 hours if I could not fly economy plus! Now $400 is steep, as I would have to pay for DW, but if I had a 13 hour flight, it would be Economy Plus!

On the other hand, it's not going to make much difference, you are still going to get home very tired. I would rather pay the extra and not get home saying "I'll never do that again"
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

The last time DW and the kids flew to Europe (I did not go) the cost was not that much.. so we booked the better seats...

I would want to know how much 'better' the other seats are... IOW, for an inch I do not think I would pony up... for 5 inches I probably would... if it were only one person... for me it is usually 4X or $1600 decision...
Old 05-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I think this is an interesting approach to upgrade: We're flying economy on SAS to Europe next month, pretty inexpensively--half the US carriers' tickets. We can bid whatever amount we want for business class upgrades on any leg of the flight--you can change or withdraw but once it's accepted, two days or so before the flight, that's it (and SAS makes some $$ on those seats vs letting people upgrade with points or miles). We put in what the website called a "good" bid in terms of it being accepted on the way over and a "fair" bid for the return. If both are accepted our total will be about the US carriers' price for economy. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #26

I haven't flown since I was a kid. I have often heard about the lack of leg room with a standard seat but I assumed it was only a problem for tall people. After reading this thread I will definitely not consider flying unless I can afford economy plus or better. I'm 6'6" and my legs are longer than the average person of that height. To the OP, I say pay for the upgrade. If you can't afford the upgrade then you shouldn't be taking the trip at all IMO.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The last time DW and the kids flew to Europe (I did not go) the cost was not that much.. so we booked the better seats...

I would want to know how much 'better' the other seats are... IOW, for an inch I do not think I would pony up... for 5 inches I probably would... if it were only one person... for me it is usually 4X or $1600 decision...
Just so you know, on United, $1099 is the most you should ever have to pay for economy plus seats for 3 to 9 people per year. That covers the subscriber and up to 8 companions on the same reservation on global flights for a whole year.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app.../offerSep.aspx

For two people it's $899. If you're flying lower 48 only, knock off $200 in both cases.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Exit rows can be great, but they have fixed arms, so you can't lift them up and lie over on your beloved. Also, bigger people tend to book the exit rows, so you end up with three big people in a slightly bigger space. But, they can't book infants in the exit rows, so that's a benefit! My preference is the back of the plane where the planes begin to curve back and there are two seats across instead of 3, or a bulkhead seat. Premium economy is great as the seats recline more and have foot rests. I've flown to Australia coach many times, 35 hours, but I'm not tall! It can be brutal. Drink wine before you get on the plane and do your best to just pass out.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Twice I have paid modest fees for "priority" service on budget airlines (WestJet and Ryanair). Granted, not really long flights. In both cases, I was one of the few (cheap) people who thought that a modest extra fee was worth it, and I ended up with a whole row to myself! That, and extra leg room, made both flights very enjoyable.

In contrast, I suffered through a red eye flight from Maui to LAX on United, stuck in the window seat in the rear of the plane, with a quarreling honeymoon couple between me and the aisle. That was true misery. In retrospect, I should have paid for an upgrade.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:36 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Twice I have paid modest fees for "priority" service on budget airlines (WestJet and Ryanair). Granted, not really long flights. In both cases, I was one of the few (cheap) people who thought that a modest extra fee was worth it, and I ended up with a whole row to myself! That, and extra leg room, made both flights very enjoyable.

In contrast, I suffered through a red eye flight from Maui to LAX on United, stuck in the window seat in the rear of the plane, with a quarreling honeymoon couple between me and the aisle. That was true misery. In retrospect, I should have paid for an upgrade.
We did luck out on our trip to Maui, as several times the middle seat between us in Economy Plus wasn't taken. I usually only take the window seat if I think I might sleep, otherwise we sit in two aisle seats across from each other.

But I have been in planes to or from Europe that were booked solid. Absolutely full, and the middle seats in Economy Plus were taken up by the people being assigned seats at the last minute - usually some big group traveling together, like students with teachers.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We did luck out on our trip to Maui, as several times the middle seat between us in Economy Plus wasn't taken. I usually only take the window seat if I think I might sleep, otherwise we sit in two aisle seats across from each other.

But I have been in planes to or from Europe that were booked solid. Absolutely full, and the middle seats in Economy Plus were taken up by the people being assigned seats at the last minute - usually some big group traveling together, like students with teachers.
I also usually choose aisle seats, but I was hoping to sleep on this red eye flight. However, the seats were crammed together such that I could not straighten my legs out. I didn't sleep a wink.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:52 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I also usually choose aisle seats, but I was hoping to sleep on this red eye flight. However, the seats were crammed together such that I could not straighten my legs out. I didn't sleep a wink.
Right - that's what I expect in standard economy.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:58 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Been there done that. Go for it!
Old 05-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #34

I live in Asia and make the same trip back to the US twice a year. I'm 6'3" and have been flying deluxe economy for the past couple of years...regular economy before that. The upgrade is definitely worth it to me. The extra legroom and slightly taller headrest make it much easier for me to get rest on the flight. And $1050 is a very reasonable total price for a round trip ticket to Asia.

I'm repatriating next month (Class of 2016) and finally will be flying business class again. It sure is nice to be able to lie flat on a long flight like that, but I'm not willing to pay for it myself. We're flying EVA Air through Taipei as that seems to be the best connection that will allow a dog to transit without a significant quarantine.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:06 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Just so you know, on United, $1099 is the most you should ever have to pay for economy plus seats for 3 to 9 people per year. That covers the subscriber and up to 8 companions on the same reservation on global flights for a whole year.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app.../offerSep.aspx

For two people it's $899. If you're flying lower 48 only, knock off $200 in both cases.
Thanks for the info... we rarely travel by air so it would be a one time use purchase... so a $1099 decision for me...
Old 05-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have been using miles on long haul flights and pop for Business Class. At our ages of 70+ we can no longer physically tolerate being shoehorned into regular Economy seats. Aside from the obvious benefit on the plane, being able to use the Business Class lounges is very relaxing.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #37

Every time I consider upgrading for international flights of > 12 hours, I remind myself that on about 50% of the dozen or so flights of that type I've taken, I have ended up with my own entire row anyway. At 5'10" and 5'3", we don't upgrade for legroom, but I wouldn't question a 6'2" person who did.

Now... to get booze? Yeah maybe then. :-)
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Business class
Old 05-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Business class

This is BA Business Class. My DW had the seat on the other side with 4 windows
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:22 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
My preference is the back of the plane where the planes begin to curve back and there are two seats across instead of 3, or a bulkhead seat.
I feel that planes to Asia have narrower seats. Maybe I am imagining. I am 5'10" and I am "tall" among my people back home.

One year, we booked late and got the last 2 rows, 2 seats each row that you are referring to. There are plenty of leg rooms for all 4 of us.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:52 PM   #40

I tried to book BA business class but it was gone so fast so I've settled for premium economy. But when I get a free companion ticket, after spending $30k, it will be business class the next time I have to fly to Europe.