Upgrading Seats on Long Flights Worth It?

I splurged on a first class upgrade from Chicago to Sacramento in June when I saw all the economy seats were filled. It was an evening flight, and I had a 3 hour drive after so I wanted some sleep since I knew it was going to be a really long evening. It turned out to work out great as we were stuck on the ground for an hour due to bad weather out west. I'd have been fuming in coach. Instead, I put on a movie and stretched out. I even had the seat next to me empty. Nothing special about the service, but even arriving an hour late I felt pretty good and the drive to Tahoe went well.

This has put me in the habit to check how much an upgrade will be, either at ticket purchase time or day of. Factors include time of day, tight connections (for early boarding to be able to make sure I can carry my bag on as well as quick exit), and how crowded the flight is--no sense paying extra for a wider seat if I could have an empty middle seat next to me in coach.

DS flew on Southwest last week and took an aisle seat. He said the woman in the window seat in his row told him he could put his briefcase under the seat in front of the empty middle seat as she had paid for two seats (and presumably for early boarding to get them together) for herself (no, she was not a large person--she just wanted the empty space next to her). He said he has seen that a few time on Southwest, that it's their "first-class" equivalent.

DS flew on Southwest last week and took an aisle seat. He said the woman in the window seat in his row told him he could put his briefcase under the seat in front of the empty middle seat as she had paid for two seats (and presumably for early boarding to get them together) for herself (no, she was not a large person--she just wanted the empty space next to her). He said he has seen that a few time on Southwest, that it's their "first-class" equivalent.

last time I saw that on swa there was a huge short dude taking up two seats in the first row - poor guy

Might be worth shooting for Premier Gold. Have to spend $6000 in airfare though.

But you get other benefits.

I don't spend that much nor fly enough to get gold. I probably won't even make silver this year. I've never made status, so I just buy some of the perks instead.

One of the big problems that I have is the cost difference...

When looking to go to Europe, the cost is at least three times and usually more... that is not worth it to me..

Now, I see some saying they could get it for $69 or so more... well, that would be worth it IMO...

Now I do not fly that much.... so I can live in the back for the couple of flights that I might have in a year....

One of the big problems that I have is the cost difference...

When looking to go to Europe, the cost is at least three times and usually more... that is not worth it to me..

Now, I see some saying they could get it for $69 or so more... well, that would be worth it IMO...

Now I do not fly that much.... so I can live in the back for the couple of flights that I might have in a year....

Where did you see this? I scanned the thread and didn't see anything like this, unless you mean Dallas to Houston, or LOTS more than $69.

Is upgrading on short flights worth it?

Well - if the upgrade to first class is offered cheap, there are some side bennies.

We were recently offered to upgrade the first leg for $69 and I took it because I was concerned about a shortish layover and needing to change terminals.

Well, upgrading just one leg gave us multiple free checked baggage for the whole flight, and group 1 boarding for both legs even though we are in economy for the second leg.

Just kind of a nice side effect of accepting the upgrade offer on one leg.

Where did you see this? I scanned the thread and didn't see anything like this, unless you mean Dallas to Houston, or LOTS more than $69.

My bold....

She also said "shorter flights". Not Europe, I assume.

She also said "shorter flights". Not Europe, I assume.

Yes... but I have not see this cheap first class even on domestic... Europe is just out of this world pricing IMO.... but if I could get a domestic flight for say a 70% increase I probably would do it... especially if like the person who flew from Dallas to Houston checking on two bags which paid for the upgrade...

I was just checking a flight to San Juan that we will be taking in a couple of months.... cheap seats $188... first/business $488....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom