Windstar cruises?

folivier

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone been on any of their ships? Specifically the smallest one Windstar?
My DW and another couple are considering a cruise from Colon to St. Maarten. I've never been on a cruise ship and never wanted to but the idea of a small ship, 148 passengers, might work for me as an introvert. Don't like crowds! Looks like all of the cabins are the same size with a view.
Any thoughts?

Haven't been on Windstar, although we'd like to......have been to Colon...yuk.

IMO, small boat cruising is the only way to go. It is as close to having your own superyacht as you can get, and the service is impeccable with no crowds. (Once you've taken a tender to shore with just two people, you'll never go back.) I've heard the Windstar is excellent from friends who have travelled with them. Today there are more small sub-500-passenger cruise ships than ever before. I think it is in response to all the huge mega-ships that the major lines are building.

We have really enjoyed Seadream Yacht Club's trips - to Costa Rica and Greece - and there are other similar lines that are equally good.

We sailed on Windstar. Small ships. Much more intimate than the mass market ships.

Biggest cruise ship we were ever on:
1,600 pax, which was ridiculously huge IMO, although it probably doesn't count as "big" these days. That was our first cruise, and we said "NEVER AGAIN!"

Three "small" ship cruises since then:
48, 48, and 62 pax.

One "fairly small" cruise: 380 pax on a ship built for up to 500. That was good, but really pushing the limit for us. We got an exceptional deal on the price, which was the main reason for it, but we won't go that large again.

Thanks, so who are the other small ships that sail the Caribbean?
Or other places.

Never been to the Caribbean.

For great small ship cruising (although far from inexpensive), look at Lindblad/National Geographic. They're more expeditions than cruises, but exceptionally well done.

Biggest cruise ship we were ever on:
1,600 pax, which was ridiculously huge IMO, although it probably doesn't count as "big" these days. That was our first cruise, and we said "NEVER AGAIN!"

Three "small" ship cruises since then:
48, 48, and 62 pax.

One "fairly small" cruise: 380 pax on a ship built for up to 500. That was good, but really pushing the limit for us. We got an exceptional deal on the price, which was the main reason for it, but we won't go that large again.

Brau,

Can you provide a bit more detail on the ships?

The smallest ship we have ben on was the Paul Gauguin (up to 332 guests / 217 crew) and really enjoyed the quality over quantity. It was by far our favorite cruise, but I did wish there was a bit more in activities. I'm guessing they have added a golf simulator since I was on it.

We have also been on Regent (700 guests/445 crew). I found the Regent just a big too large, but very enjoyable. I liked that they had some nightlife, and since it was an Alaskan cruise (OLD people), it never felt crowded. We had an extra large balcony, which was perfect for the inland passage.

We have been on a couple of mega ships. If I wanted a last minute trip requiring no planning, I would consider it again, but that likely won't happen.

Brau,

Can you provide a bit more detail on the ships?

Like I said in the other post, look at Lindblad/NatGeo. We went with them in Alaska, Galapagos, and Scotland, and had the most wonderful time. Some of the best trips we have ever taken.

Our Fleet

We have found our perfect size is 2500 passengers. Any bigger and it’s annoying. We enjoyed a big choice of activities and nightlife.

We have found our perfect size is 2500 passengers.

Our favorite ship is the (now) Pullmantur Horizon (previously CDF..and previously....) at 1,875 passengers....but that's nous.

Has anyone been on any of their ships? Specifically the smallest one Windstar?
My DW and another couple are considering a cruise from Colon to St. Maarten. I've never been on a cruise ship and never wanted to but the idea of a small ship, 148 passengers, might work for me as an introvert. Don't like crowds! Looks like all of the cabins are the same size with a view.
Any thoughts?

I looked at a cruise on the 300-ish passenger Windstar ship (without the sails:LOL:), Panama and Costa Rica—I might surprise DH with it next year. We did a Princess cruise maybe 15 years ago into Gatun Lake from the Caribbean, and then took an excursion boat through the locks to the Pacific with a tour bus back to Colon. Fascinating for DH, brought back memories for me from the years I lived there growing up.

Windstar is on my retirement list. I don’t like crowds.
If you sign up on their e mail list you’ll get notified of some really reasonable deals.

I have only heard really good things about them.

We’ve been on the Wind Surf a couple of times and love it for the small ship atmosphere and the islands they are able to sail to.

If your interested in a real sailing ship check out Clipper Cruise lines. The Royal Clipper was spectacular.

We were intrigued for the sailing, but sailing isn’t central to Windstar - you might not sail at all on Windstar, the window for sailing is very narrow.

Many years ago I took a cruise of the Grenadines on a Star Clipper tall ship. They sail about 25% of the time. It was a fun time, not as luxurious as Windstar, even in the cabins you know you are on a "sailboat". The ship we were on held 170 passengers.

We took the Windsurf Caribbean tour last March. Neither my wife nor I had ever cruised and had no desire to be on a big ship. We went with friends who love Windstar. I can tell you it was great. The food, accommodations and treatment were excellent. The ship is fairly small and we were able to stop at small ports by docking or sitting at anchor and visiting the land on the small transport boats. No kids on the Windsurf. It was like being on a floating country club. The waiters in the pool bar learned our favorite drinks right away. Intimate and fun.

Windstar is on my retirement list. I don’t like crowds.
If you sign up on their e mail list you’ll get notified of some really reasonable deals.

I have only heard really good things about them.
I heard one bad thing from my dad...got food poisoning from an appetizer, along with a sizable group of other gueats. Spent most of the cruise eating rice and bananas, never leaving the cabin. Didn't stop my mom from enjoying all the ports and activities, though. Even then, he said he go on another Windstar.

But primary, I wanted to ask if you have looked up the email specials on vacationstogo. I'm loath to get on the list and get spammed for something I can look-up when it suits me.

But primary, I wanted to ask if you have looked up the email specials on vacationstogo. I'm loath to get on the list and get spammed for something I can look-up when it suits me.

Funny, I get emails from them too, even though we have never gone on a cruise.

I understand not wanting multiple advertising e mails but for me I enjoy the hunt and dreaming of future possibilities once we retire at the end of the year.

Once we are ready to book a trip I will research both plus Costco. You can always set up a gmail account and get all your advertising emails in one place.

We really liked Windstar. Upscale but not snooty. We aren’t really into the shows and nightlife. If you are, Windstar might not be appealing because nightlife options are very limited. We don’t care about nightlife so suited us just fine. Food was good and portions calls were so easy due to the small ship size.

One thing I like about Royal Caribbean is that in the buffet when they bring in new food they throw away the old. Princess just dumped the new food on top. We did go on a 500 person cruise because it was a week for only 500 each. Wasn’t as much to do but the people were awesome and we made friends quickly.

I know this is about windstar, but we just went on a Celebrity 5 day cruise (it was so cheap it was like they paid me to go).

I was amazed at the high quality, fantastic choices of the buffet. We like to eat in the restaurant on all cruises, but I could not resist after Dinner, going up to the buffet to have a 2nd Dinner of the great choices that were not in the regular Dining room.

I don't do this on other cruises, but it was simply fantastic.

Note: they have 2 special Dining rooms for high level reward members, so maybe that is where the buffet gets some of their ideas/offerings ?

Back
Top Bottom