boosting the economy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayHare

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Iran:2012::Japan:1941

Just speculation of course. Guess we'll find out eventually.

I'm not sure what you are talking about, but I am doing my part to boost the US economy. I bought some living room furniture last weekend and home office furniture yesterday - all made in USA.

I'm not sure what your message is, GreyHare. Can you be a bit more specific?

Edit: and of course, also let us know how this is related to FIRE

Last edited:
I don't get the point but I'm sure we don't need another war. As far as boosting the economy, DW is out daily doing her part.

I don't get the point but I'm sure we don't need another war.
I hope that's not his point. If that would help, you'd think we'd be doing well due to Iraq and Afghanistan. That can't be what he/she meant, could it?

Indiana Jones: "Didn't any of you guys ever go to Sunday school?" ;-)

Apologies if this was unclear. I deemed the following well known / generally accepted, but if not that can encourage good discussion.
The US entry into WWII, prompted by Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, is often credited with boosting the US economy out of the Great Depression. Speculation: the current Iran situation may do similar for the Great Recession. The resulting change in economic conditions could have significant impact on FIRE.

Apologies if this was unclear. I deemed the following well known / generally accepted, but if not that can encourage good discussion.
The US entry into WWII, prompted by Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, is often credited with boosting the US economy out of the Great Depression. Speculation: the current Iran situation may do similar for the Great Recession. The resulting change in economic conditions could have significant impact on FIRE.

Holy Crap. I hope not. There are plenty of possibilities for economic recovery without plunging us into a World War.

Indiana Jones: "Didn't any of you guys ever go to Sunday school?" ;-)

Yes, I did go to Sunday school, thanks. The Great Depression hit bottom in 1932 and both GDP and GDP per capita had recovered their previous levels by 1939. WW2 helped lead the US into another recession. Global destruction was so great that rebuilding and investment enabled global growth that the US did benefit from.

The comparison between Iran and Japan escapes me but it probably isn't forum related so I'll not pursue it.

I, for one, welcome our new war-mongering overlords.

Iran is planning an attack on Pearl Harbor?

Not that many parallels.

Both Germany and Japan had been expanding their empires through military aggression for nearly a decade before the US entered the war.

Iran not so much.

Nearly everyone who wasn't drafted was building weaponry and supplies for the war, and the government had strict controls on the "discretionary" side of the economy.

No such restraints these days...

In light of the sanctions and saber rattling going on, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Iran try to sink a US carrier or bottle up the straits of Hormuz. Hope it never comes to that but I would not be surprised at all.

Do you mean war with Japan in 1941 and war with Iran in 2012? War does the boost the economy, assuming one is wealthy and can profit by it. If one gets maimed or killed, then it is not so profitable.

The last thing this country needs is another war. We have been at war for over 10 years, but thanks to an all volunteer army, most of us don't notice it on a daily basis.

INHO, the next time our leaders vote for a war or other military action they should also have the guts to vote a TAX INCREASE to pay for it, or a CUT IN NON MILITARY PROGRAMS to pay for it. If they don't have the guts to tell the people that this war is important enough for all of us to sacrifice then they should not vote for it. War should never be easy and mostly painless for the populace.

Uh oh...look who is headed this way.

Attachments

• pigmobile.jpg
    pigmobile.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom