Cliffs Notes

Excellent cut-through-the-$hit article.

-CC

...It was caused by a need to rebuild the military to fight two wars ...

Not sure that "rebuild" is the word. Maybe "ramp up"?

Washington, D.C.'s return on investment for investing $14,000 a year per student is a 40% high-school dropout rate.

I can find no verification for this number. A quick web search yielded something between 20-30%.

It doesn't necessarily prove this commentary wrong, but does call the impartiality of the commentator into question.

I can find no verification for this number. A quick web search yielded something between 20-30%.

It doesn't necessarily prove this commentary wrong, but does call the impartiality of the commentator into question.

That you can not find it doesn't call into question the impartiality of the commentator.
It just means that your quick web search did not find the information.
If the information is not on the web does not mean it does not exist.

That you can not find it doesn't call into question the impartiality of the commentator.
It just means you could not find the information.

It means the info I did find refutes the 40% number. The author provides no reference. Without a reference, throwing a highball number out seems to support my assertion...

Child Trends DataBank - High School Dropout Rates

FOXNews.com - High School Graduation Rates Plummet Below 50 Percent in Some U.S. Cities - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Table A–3. Summary table of high school dropout, completion, and graduation rates presented in this report

I believe the author is specifically talking about the city of Washington D.C. that spends $14,000 per year per pupil. This appears to be supported by your article pointing out that many of our large cities have 50% graduation rates.

I believe the author is specifically talking about the city of Washington D.C. that spends $14,000 per year per pupil. This appears to be supported by your article pointing out that many of our large cities have 50% graduation rates.

They clearly aren't producing the scholars of America. Funny how BHO wants to continue to trap inner-city kids in failing schools while sending his kids to an elite private school.

True enough. But, hey, if we're going to cherry-pick, why not choose Detroit...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/04-08/0402graduationrates.pdf

But, while we're cherry-picking...

Report: Dallas ISD's dropout rate is 7th worst in nation | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

So, not all schools suck...

Back
Top Bottom