Huffington now in charge of AOL news content

EllisWyatt

Recycles dryer sheets
Wondering what the rest of you think about Arianna Huffington now being responsible for directing AOL's news content?

My first thoughts:

While I was not impressed with her personally when we met oversea many years ago (massive understatement), good for her to have found a way to cash in on her blog. Proves to me that America IS the land of opportunity. (Given hard work, drive and a couple million dollars of seed money :whistle:)

I just don't care for her political views and intolerance.

The good news is that I finally have been given impetus to shut down my AOL account, which has just been linering out there for no good reason.

Last edited:
Now wait a minute - that's not fair! AOL has hundreds of millions of...millions of......well, at least TWO subscribers.

AOL: I used to like them a lot. I was never a subscriber, but those free 3.5" disks they used to send out every month saved me a lot of money.

COMPUSERVE--now that used to be a good service with interesting content.

I don't think Ariana has much faith in AOL--if she did, she would have taken stock/options instead of demanding cash. That's surely what they would have preferred to give her.

I used to like getting all those free AOL floppies so I could reformat and re-use them. Was a bit bummed when they started using CD-R's.

Oh, and what REWahoo said!

I used to get the AOL 3.5" disk on Alaska flights! They passed them out with the peanuts.

The good news is that I finally have been given impetus to shut down my AOL account, which has just been linering out there for no good reason.

Now wait a minute - that's not fair! AOL has hundreds of millions of...millions of......well, at least TWO subscribers.

Soon to be one? :LOL:

The HP website is one of the best internet news sites :

Breaking News and Opinion on The Huffington Post

I hope it stays that way.

:eek:

Wow, I avoid the extreme left or right sites, unless I'm just 'spying' to see what the extremists are hand-wringing about. :nonono:

BTW, some posters recently mentioned The Economist as a great news source, I spent a bit of time at the Library reading it yesterday, I'm going to have to make this a weekly habit. I thought they might be kinda 'mushy' to maintain objectivity, but they were pretty direct in criticizing both the left and right ( their review of the SOTU speech in particular). Very good read, IMO.

AOL news? Really, never heard of it.

-ERD50

I used to get the AOL 3.5" disk on Alaska flights! They passed them out with the peanuts.
I am trying to remember the last time I got an AOL disk. It must have been years ago.

Huffington is certainly an interesting person, highly intelligent and well spoken. But over a number of years she has politically ranged from very conservative to quite liberal. I read her for insights but am suspicious of her personal agenda.

But over a number of years she has politically ranged from very conservative to quite liberal

Her political views, like many who make their living supporting strong left or right views, swing with business opportunities. If there was money to be made from supporting the devil, she'd be there as a greedy and schrewd business person taking advantage of another opportunity.

You have to give her credit for being a creative entrepreneur and efficient operations manager. AOL could use a dose of her business style and I note that she comes along with the deal.......

aol is still in business? :eek:

i used to get a new cd from aol every 2 months, they make great coasters.

she sounds like an idiot, she makes lisa douglas look intelligent. i'd rather read something from arnold ziffel.

225px-GreenAcres3rdSeasonCover.jpg

Yes ERD50, I have read the Economist in the past.

I have never watched Fox News but would be happy to give it a try :)

:eek:

Wow, I avoid the extreme left or right sites, unless I'm just 'spying' to see what the extremists are hand-wringing about. :nonono:

I have never watched Fox News but would be happy to give it a try :)

I don't have cable, so I've never watched it either. Well, we get the Chicago over-the-air Fox news, that seems fine, no overt conservative bias, so I guess that is different from the cable version?

-ERD50

I don't have cable, so I've never watched it either. Well, we get the Chicago over-the-air Fox news, that seems fine, no overt conservative bias, so I guess that is different from the cable version?

-ERD50

Yeah it is. OTA Fox actually seems less biased than the three major networks. And they carry Bears games locally!

Cable Fox is like those idiotic political shows on CNBC or the Comedy Channel.

I've programmed my remote to skip over the hardcore political crap, coming from any direction, and my quality of life immediately improved.

Back
Top Bottom