Join Early Retirement Today

sign my stimulus $ to the state
Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

sign my stimulus $ to the state

Whatever meager benefits of the federal package that trickle down to me and my wife now have been co-opted by the spectacularly efficient tax sucking entity known as the state of Kalifornia. Double my vehicle tax, increase my income tax by 0.25% and boost the sales tax by 1%. Oh and cut school funding by $8.6 billion so I'll never see another COLA until I retire. Sigh... What, me worry?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Whatever meager benefits of the federal package that trickle down to me and my wife now have been co-opted by the spectacularly efficient tax sucking entity known as the state of Kalifornia. Double my vehicle tax, increase my income tax by 0.25% and boost the sales tax by 1%. Oh and cut school funding by $8.6 billion so I'll never see another COLA until I retire. Sigh... What, me worry?
COLA? What's that?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't worry, it's all for the best. California has enacted some highly "progressive" environmental laws, and the government has helpfully intruded into the business of the private sector to an unprecedented degree. This enlightened approach is driving business out of the state at a tremendous rate. Thus, the remaining smaller number of businesses (and wage-earners) have to be taxed at even higher rates, which spurs yet more folks to flee the state. It's brilliant: with fewer residents and businesses, the environment will be better. And even the remaining folks will be able to consume less (reducing air pollution and landfill pressures) as the government confiscates more of their income.
I grew up in California, and it is a beautiful state. But, I don't miss it a bit. The people have voted themselves the government they deserve. Ahhnold has been a big disappointment.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a friend that works at HP and he got a "surprise" pay cut off 5% a couple days ago.

If you are listening to talk radio the NEOCON radio gurus are starting to spin that government workers are the "privileged class" and need to start sucking it up for the team. I.E. pay cuts, no COLA and reduction of benefits. Just get ready for the chant getting louder and louder. Their goal is to break every union to lower wages for corporations. They just about crushed the car maker workers they are moving on to you guys.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpond View Post
If you are listening to talk radio the NEOCON radio gurus are starting to spin that government workers are the "privileged class" and need to start sucking it up for the team. I.E. pay cuts, no COLA and reduction of benefits. . . . They just about crushed the car maker workers they are moving on to you guys.
The NEOCONs crushed the car unions? Is this the Comedy Central forum?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

How is that for timing? I was just reading MW boards. The masses are starting regurgitate what they are hearing on talk radio........

My personal economy can no longer bear to pay for the wages and generous benefits that local, state and federal government workers get.

What are the chances those wages will be brought into line with the new reality?

Story Not Found (The link works for me but I am signed in over there. I guess I can not link an account you have to be logged in?)

Old 02-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The NEOCONs crushed the car unions? Is this the Comedy Central forum?
Globalization. How may Ford and GM plants are there in Japan?

Answer: None.

How many Japan car maker plants are there in U.S.?

Now U.S. workers are suppose to take a cut to match the workers that work at plants that are subsidized by states to build them there.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Unfair competition?

Foreign Auto Plants Have Received $3.6 Billion in Subsidies

Honda, Marysville, OH, 1980, $27 million*
Nissan, Smyrna, TN, 1980, $233 million**
Toyota, Georgetown, KY, 1985, $147 million
Honda, Anna, OH, 1985, $27 million*
Subaru, Lafayette, IN, 1986, $94 million
Honda, East Liberty, OH, 1987, $27 million*
BMW, Spartanburg, SC, 1992, $150 million
Mercedes-Benz, Vance, AL, 1993, $258 million
Toyota, Princeton, IN, 1995, $30 million
Nissan, Decherd, TN, 1995, $200 million**
Toyota, Buffalo, WV, 1996, more than $15 million
Honda, Lincoln, AL, 1999, $248 million
Nissan, Canton, MS, 2000, $295 million
Toyota, Huntsville, AL, 2001, $30 million
Hyundai, Montgomery, AL, 2002, $252 million
Toyota, San Antonio, TX, 2003, $133 million
Kia, West Point, GA, 2006, $400 million
Honda, Greensburg, IN, 2006, $141 million
Toyota, Blue Springs, MS, 2007, $300 million
Volkswagen, Chattanooga, TN, 2008, $577 million
Total: more than $3.58 billion
* total of direct subsidies to all Honda facilities in Ohio
** includes about $200 million for expansions of Smyrna and Decherd plants
Foreign Auto Plants Have Received $3.6 Billion in Subsidies, Mostly from Southern States «
Old 02-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpond View Post
Globalization. How may Ford and GM plants are there in Japan?

Answer: None.

How many Japan car maker plants are there in U.S.?

Now U.S. workers are suppose to take a cut to match the workers that work at plants that are subsidized by states to build them there.
Oh, the Japanese economy is a good one to model ours after. If you think two years of a rough economy is bad, wait until we see two decades.

Your "comparison" lacks merit. US car makers don't put plants in Japan because the labor costs there are just about the same as the US. Both US and Japanese car makers build most of their new plants where labor costs are low. Japanese car makers built plants in the US in part because of market-distorting US import-quota laws.

Protectionism is the road to nowhere.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #10

I remember Tennessee providing GM a subsidy to locate a Saturn plant in Spring Hill, too.

Creating decent jobs in your national economy is more important than where HQ is located, IMO.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #11

There used to be an auto plant a half mile from where I work (and grew up). It closed long ago and eventually was converted to produce the B2 bombers. Now it houses WalMart, Del Taco and other essential retail outlets no city can be without. Apparently no amount of coffee is going to un-piss me off this morning.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
There used to be an auto plant a half mile from where I work (and grew up). It closed long ago and eventually was converted to produce the B2 bombers. Now it houses WalMart, Del Taco and other essential retail outlets no city can be without.
Welcome to the service sector economy.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Oh, the Japanese economy is a good one to model ours after. If you think two years of a rough economy is bad, wait until we see two decades.

Your "comparison" lacks merit. US car makers don't put plants in Japan because the labor costs there are just about the same as the US. Both US and Japanese car makers build most of their new plants where labor costs are low. Japanese car makers built plants in the US in part because of market-distorting US import-quota laws.

Protectionism is the road to nowhere.
Protectionism is the road to nowhere. Great line. You allow foreigners to build plants on your soil in states that provided them the most perks allowing them to steal market share from the U.S. based companies. Those same U.S. based companies can not import products into that country. Now you want the U.S. company to cut the wages to match the wages of the subsidized one way trade companies? One way globalization was the reason the U.S. car makers are going under.

Pearl Harbor II with car plants.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #14

On the other hand, my dad worked at a tire plant that made the tires for the auto plants, came home covered in rubber dust every day and died at 42 of cancer. Maybe slinging tacos isn't so bad...
Old 02-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Note to Samclem and Gpond - http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...?do=ignorelist
Old 02-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. Done.