Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
I don't know if I disagree because I'm not sure I understand what it is you find unconstitutional.

The way I'm thinking about it, the example I outlined fits perfectly with the Medicare precedent. With Medicare the government defines a benefit that everyone gets, and charges everyone it feels is wealthy enough to pay for that benefit. Nobody gets a choice about the benefit, or a choice about whether to pay for it. My example works the same exact way, only they can opt out of paying for the benefit by getting private insurance.
In fact, one part of the charge is paid by everyone with earned income regardless of wealth or level of income. The benefit is divided into parts, one of which is deemed earned if the tax was paid over a long enough period. Additional benefits are available, voluntary, with one price and a single subsidy. Very straightforward.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #222

Quote:
I don't know if I disagree because I'm not sure I understand what it is you find unconstitutional.

The way I'm thinking about it, the example I outlined fits perfectly with the Medicare precedent. With Medicare the government defines a benefit that everyone gets, and charges everyone it feels is wealthy enough to pay for that benefit. Nobody gets a choice about the benefit, or a choice about whether to pay for it. My example works the same exact way, only they can opt out of paying for the benefit by getting private insurance.
IMO, Medicare sets a precedent for a "single payer" model with all the "premiums", taxes and reimbursements to providers handled by the federal government. The way the PPACA does it, the mandated premiums go entirely to private insurers. There is no precedent I'm aware of that allows the federal government to mandate, under threat of financial penalty, that people buy private products of any kind.

(And auto insurance is not a good counterexample. For one thing, driving is legally a privilege and not a right. Secondly, you don't HAVE to have car insurance; you just can't legally operate a motor vehicle on public roadways if you don't. And finally, the auto insurance mandates for those who *do* drive are state laws, not federal laws.)

This goes back to what I said the other day -- I think Medicare is a precedent that would have supported a "public option", and it's a little ironic that those who wanted PPACA *only* without the public option may have insisted against the only mechanism (as this proposed bill was being debated) which would have passed constitutional muster, assuming the court respected the precedent set by Medicare.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 03-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #223
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29

IMO, Medicare sets a precedent for a "single payer" model with all the "premiums", taxes and reimbursements to providers handled by the federal government. The way the PPACA does it, the mandated premiums go entirely to private insurers. There is no precedent I'm aware of that allows the federal government to mandate, under threat of financial penalty, that people buy private products of any kind.

(And auto insurance is not a good counterexample. For one thing, driving is legally a privilege and not a right. Secondly, you don't HAVE to have car insurance; you just can't legally operate a motor vehicle on public roadways if you don't. And finally, the auto insurance mandates for those who *do* drive are state laws, not federal laws.)

This goes back to what I said the other day -- I think Medicare is a precedent that would have supported a "public option", and it's a little ironic that those who wanted PPACA *only* without the public option may have insisted against the only mechanism (as this proposed bill was being debated) which would have passed constitutional muster, assuming the court respected the precedent set by Medicare.
Oddly enough, Medicare as an option combined with pools of private insurers with a 'must carry' requirement and a federal subsidy system more or less funded by a dedicated tax (on payroll or self-employment income) is in the Federal budget just passed by the House. Only for people 65 and older, of course.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #224
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
In keeping with MichaelB's observation that the Court rules in ways that satisfies only itself, one way they could choose to navigate this minefield is with a bit of fancy footwork.

The Court rules that it believes a government mandate would be Unconstitutional and any law with one risks being struck down. It further notes that the "mandate" in ACA is a financial incentive only, and a weak one at that. There is no remedy available to the government in the Law if people ignore the mandate and fail to pay the "penalty." Congress specifically forbade the threat of prison or additional penalty.
This is very interesting news to me! So someone without insurance can receive a bill for the fee, and if they refuse to pay…nothing happens? If the mandate is actually this toothless, there really is no impact from the SC striking down the "mandate." Those willing to game the system can do so without a real penalty in either case.

I suddenly care much less about the outcome
Old 03-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #225
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Certainly. They easily could have written the law to bump every tax bracket up 1%-2.5% (the size of the penalty), included a per-person tax deduction for everyone who buys health insurance equal to 1%-2.5% of AGI, dropped the word "mandate," and the word "penalty" and the whole thing would be constitutional. The ease with which we can achieve the same exact thing by slightly different means exposes the silliness of this whole debate.
OK, now that we've decided that the penalize vs. tax and deduct protocols are essentially equivalent, would that be a reasonable argument:

Advocate: Your honors, if you would approve a tax and deduct protocol, and you agree that it is equivalent to a penalize protocol, shouldn't you approve it?

Justice: But it is worded as a penalty.

Advocate: But it's equivalent.

Justice: It's the principle of the thing.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
OK, now that we've decided that the penalize vs. tax and deduct protocols are essentially equivalent, would that be a reasonable argument:

Advocate: Your honors, if you would approve a tax and deduct protocol, and you agree that it is equivalent to a penalize protocol, shouldn't you approve it?

Justice: But it is worded as a penalty.

Advocate: But it's equivalent.

Justice: It's the principle of the thing.
I follow you, but we do have three branches of Gov't with separation of powers. Compare this to a typical Mega-Corp:

Say I submit a purchase req for Good Companies Model XYZZY Gimbal Wabilizer and get it approved and it goes to purchasing.

The sales guy calls me and says they just came out with a new model, that's better and is the same price. Great, but I can't just say 'ship it!'. I need to go back through the approval process, which means send the req back to me, cancel it and write a new one (or amend it, if allowed) and send it through the process for signatures again.

Inefficient and bureaucratic? Yes, but it also protects people from over-stepping their authority. You take the good with the bad.

Congress can pass an amendment if they want to change the terminology used in the Constitution. That is not easy, and it's not supposed to be.

-ERD50
Old 03-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #227
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
There is no precedent I'm aware of that allows the federal government to mandate, under threat of financial penalty, that people buy private products of any kind.
Fair enough, and I understand that completely. But that is why I rebranded the "penalty" as payment for a benefit. It's hard for me to believe that the government can't charge citizens if it is offering something of value. And the option to purchase health insurance at standard rates after you become sick is quite valuable.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #228
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I do think it is reasonable to expect our Judges to make their decisions based on the substance of the issues they're adjudicating. And I think it's reasonable to expect equivalent things to be given equivalent treatment under our laws.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #229
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
In fact, one part of the charge is paid by everyone with earned income regardless of wealth or level of income. The benefit is divided into parts, one of which is deemed earned if the tax was paid over a long enough period. Additional benefits are available, voluntary, with one price and a single subsidy. Very straightforward.
Medicare Part B premiums are tiered by income with those with higher income paying more for the same Part B. Benefits.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #230
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do think it is reasonable to expect our Judges to make their decisions based on the substance of the issues they're adjudicating. And I think it's reasonable to expect equivalent things to be given equivalent treatment under our laws.
Maybe, but it's also critical that they make their decisions based on the exact wording of the laws they are deciding constitutionality on. If they let anything slip through based on the substance of the particular issue, they open the door for future abuses of the wording based on the precedent. I know that is the overriding issue they are struggling with right now. Personally, I wouldn't mind a decent national health plan, but I'm not willing to throw out any semblance of limitation on the federal government in order to achieve it.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #231

Charging a premium, or a tax, or a penalty, all may result in collecting the same amount of money but they are definitely not the same. It is not the responsibility of the Supreme Court to make that distinction but is the role of Congress.

G4G makes a valid point, that changing the language just a bit could make a big difference. If so, the Supreme Court could send it back to Congress with that suggestion. But they should not and (my bet) will not make that change themselves.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Medicare is an income tax system plus a premium system... If you do not work, you do not pay into the system by income tax.. if you never work and do not qualify, you never ever pay into the system...

If the current plan (call it Obamacare cause I do not know the name) was changed and a tax was charged to buy insurance, I do not think that it the same.... I do not know of any tax that is charged to someone without them doing SOMETHING... IOW, you make a salary, you pay income taxes.. you buy something and you can pay an excise tax.... you fly you pay some fees (taxes) for the airport and security... all are based on the individual choosing to do something... your fix is a fee to everybody without them doing anything... a big difference IMO...

However, I do agree that if the gvmt decided to increase income tax or some other tax that they can collect... and then spend it to provide medical coverage to people that would pass muster.... again, it is HOW the tax is collected that makes a big difference.... not what they call it...

I will have to do some research, but the collection of taxes is limited by the constitution and amendments...
Old 03-31-2012, 11:36 PM   #233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Charging a premium, or a tax, or a penalty, all may result in collecting the same amount of money but they are definitely not the same. It is not the responsibility of the Supreme Court to make that distinction but is the role of Congress.

G4G makes a valid point, that changing the language just a bit could make a big difference. If so, the Supreme Court could send it back to Congress with that suggestion. But they should not and (my bet) will not make that change themselves.

And this is all speculation as there are only 9 people's opinion that really matter... and like here, on the TV there are many people on both sides that argue quite well.....

But I do not think that what G4G is the same... I think that there needs to be a lot of change on the income side to pass constitutionality... not a few word changes with basically the same mechanism.....
Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #234
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Medicare is an income tax system plus a premium system... If you do not work, you do not pay into the system by income tax.. if you never work and do not qualify, you never ever pay into the system...

If the current plan (call it Obamacare cause I do not know the name) was changed and a tax was charged to buy insurance, I do not think that it the same.... I do not know of any tax that is charged to someone without them doing SOMETHING... IOW, you make a salary, you pay income taxes.. you buy something and you can pay an excise tax.... you fly you pay some fees (taxes) for the airport and security... all are based on the individual choosing to do something... your fix is a fee to everybody without them doing anything... a big difference IMO...

The penalty only applies to people who are required to file income taxes and is tied to the income they report (1-2.5% of AGI). If you don't work, or don't make enough, you don't pay. So by this measure, the penalty IS an income tax - just a contingent one (kind of like the extra income tax I pay because I haven't taken out a mortgage).
Old 06-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Eh...looking up at the calendar and June is already here. Of course that means closer to when SCOTUS hands down a ruling. Drumroll ...

No matter what, now since the nominees for both parties are determined, I hope health care (as it impacts so many people, FIRE or not) still remains an issue for debate by the candidates in the upcoming months and not glossed over by the candidates as covered in the last election.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #236
Give me a forum ...

News about to roll out...

-ERD50
Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Descison just rolled out. Watching the coverage on the news right now.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #238
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

CNN got it wrong initially, saying the individual mandate was struck down. Now the report is the law was upheld in its entirety.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #239
Recycles dryer sheets

ACA is uphelp - so i guess if Uncle is going to give me "free" health care why continue w*rking? Certainly is a game changer - even if a different congress tries to change I dont think we can go back once this takes effect.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
CNN got it wrong initially, saying the individual mandate was struck down. Now the report is the law was upheld in its entirety.
Huh? How could CNN get it that wrong initially?