Who are you not speaking to?

Yet another reason to FIRE. I'm sick and tired of listening to vocal coworkers who always assume I agree with their political views for some reason. Since we're a captive audience in the salt mines from nine to five, it's much better to keep it to ourselves. We have one old guy in particular who will twist almost any conversation to espouse his political views.

One of these days I'll have to figure out what the facebook thing is all about. :p

Actually, this is one reason I don't participate in FB. First of all, I can't imagine anyone being so interested in the minutiae of my private life, and secondly, I hear from my siblings that we have a very vocal cousin who thinks everyone else needs to read her wacko political opinions. Just say no.

To me, this is the flat-out amazing part: People really do care! Of all my FB posts, some of the most mundane seem to garner large numbers of "likes." Also, people really like it when you post a selfie. I have no idea why.

First of all, I can't imagine anyone being so interested in the minutiae of my private life.

To me, this is the flat-out amazing part: People really do care! Of all my FB posts, some of the most mundane seem to garner large numbers of "likes." Also, people really like it when you post a selfie. I have no idea why.

It would seem that no matter how ordinary or ugly you are, if you want a boost to your ego, post a selfi, and everyone will feel obligated to tell you how pretty/handsome you are. White lies are good and cheap. Now days, people believe Facebook before their mirror.

It would seem that no matter how ordinary or ugly you are, if you want a boost to your ego, post a selfi, and everyone will feel obligated to tell you how pretty/handsome you are. White lies are good and cheap. Now days, people believe Facebook before their mirror.
Wow. Who knew? What a societal disaster.

It would seem that no matter how ordinary or ugly you are, if you want a boost to your ego, post a selfi, and everyone will feel obligated to tell you how pretty/handsome you are..

You just talked me into re-activating my Face Book account! Thanks!!!

Not my relatives, who are all originally from New Jersey. They may "like" a selfie because they like the person, but if they don't think you're beautiful, they ain't gonna mention it.

I only go on FB occasionally to see the kids or dogs, etc. I don't understand why people feel compelled to post their food, vacations, etc. When we go on a big vacation people will tell me to post pics. First of all I have better things to do and second of all I don't want everyone to know we are gone. Who cares what other people are eating?

I unfriended a few during the last election cycle, mostly old college/high school friends I hadn't kept in touch with and while it was nice to see how life turned out for them, I realized quickly we were not similar at all any longer, thus no loss.

My bigger issue is I have to unfollow most of my family. We know better not to discuss politics when I'm home, at holidays, etc, but on facebook that filter just isn't there and after "hide post" of the most offensive sites, I just couldn't handle it. There are certainly some posts that have made me question whether I will visit or even send Christmas cards to a few cousins. Political disagreements have turned into what I consider condoning violence towards people who disagree...its a scary side I wish I didn't know.

A lot of the answer is probably to spend more time in meatspace. Of the 4 or 5 other dudes I chatted with in the woods today on the opening day of dove season, not a one was anything less than unfailingly polite and pleasant, and the subject of politics mysteriously failed to surface.

I never really talked to anyone before so there is no one to stop talking to. Both my DH and I and extremely introverted, and cannot tolerate any meaningless chatter for more than a few seconds.

Politics and religion both qualify as meaningless chatter. Zero involvement in social media and honestly believe that any involvement in social media ( i.e. FB , Twitter, etc) is inversely related to I.Q..

Last edited:
I don't speak to my ex-step family except for one ex-step brother and I may have spoiled that relationship this spring.

Kind of a funny story: he fell off a ladder and got busted up. Thankfully no permanent damage. But his mother summoned me to help him out "ASAP" with his home remodeling and imminent move. Ex-step brother's wife is a doctor, so he didn't need medical attention from me, and I'm not driving 3 hours on the weekend to help install a toilet. I thought about offering to call them a plumber and movers, but I couldn't think how to say it without sounding condescending, so I kept my mouth shut.

My half brother actually flew from DFW to Seattle to aid in said toilet install and other stuff. He's just a carpenter apprentice, so it cost him relatively a lot (half-brother would've flown up regardless what I did.)

I just stopped following a favorite ex-boss yesterday. He is getting really extreme and angry in his views. I am wondering if he is going off the deep end.

To his credit, I never knew his political views when I worked for him.

The ROMEO group I visit at the local Burger King most mornings has two rules:

1. Politics are not discussed.

2. Politics are not discussed.

Violate either one and you are told to turn it off. Continual violations are the basis for being banned or sent next door to McDonalds.

We also don't have active Facebook accounts (wives might though).

Zero involvement in social media and honestly believe that any involvement in social media ( i.e. FB , Twitter, etc) is inversely related to I.Q..

From Wiki:
"Social media are computer-mediated tools that allow people, companies, and other organizations to create, share, or exchange information, career interests, ideas, and pictures/videos in virtual communities and networks."

"We have met the enemy and he is us."
Pogo......(being, as we are, part of the etc)

Last edited:
A lot of the answer is probably to spend more time in meatspace. Of the 4 or 5 other dudes I chatted with in the woods today on the opening day of dove season, not a one was anything less than unfailingly polite and pleasant, and the subject of politics mysteriously failed to surface.
I wonder if the polite talk is a natural result of everyone holding a gun?:LOL:

I never really talked to anyone before so there is no one to stop talking to. Both my DH and I and extremely introverted, and cannot tolerate any meaningless chatter for more than a few seconds.

Politics and religion both qualify as meaningless chatter. Zero involvement in social media and honestly believe that any involvement in social media ( i.e. FB , Twitter, etc) is inversely related to I.Q..

Wow, you guys sound like a lot of fun. I'd hate to be the one talking to you wondering if I'm exceeding my few seconds on the meaningless chatter quota.
And just because you aren't involved in social media doesn't give you open season to declare people stupid. I have close family in 3 different states and across the ocean and social media is an important point of contact for us.

From Wiki:
"Social media are computer-mediated tools that allow people, companies, and other organizations to create, share, or exchange information, career interests, ideas, and pictures/videos in virtual communities and networks."
One of the things I enjoy is following friends travels in which they post pics of their days if I am interested in the destinations. Sometimes friends post interesting links and articles. But I usually become aware of all these posts by using Notifications rather than slogging through multiple pages. I probably check in 3x a week.

There is a group called "Everything you want to know about PV" and I will use that when looking for an obscure service in PV. Similarly there is a "PV Buy and Sell" which sees more activity than craigslist if I am in the market.

I wonder if the polite talk is a natural result of everyone holding a gun?:LOL:

"An armed society is a polite society," eh? Maybe. More likely everyone was just doing something that was of mutual interest and happy about it.

I got dragged into FB by my daughter a couple of years ago. I overcame my negativity, and came to realize that it could be used to enhance family ties. It is strictly for family, and I do not accept nor offer any invitation to anyone outside the family.

FB is a tool, and you can use it as you like. We post things that are important in our life, and to keep people informed. We are all travel lovers, so travel photos are what we are all interested in. We also post photos of family get-togethers at Christmas and New Year, etc..., or when we get a new pet, learn a new dish, redecorate or remodel our homes.

I have a Facebook account, and I do accept friend requests if I know the person. However, I have to the best of my ability blocked anyone and everyone from posting on my timeline and I have blocked any and all sharing of information, tagging, pictures, location, etc. I sign on once a month or so to see what my nephews might be doing with their lives (my primary reason to have an account at all). I do not post anything, like anything or comment on anything. My goal is to eliminate all mindless drivel, not just the political kind.

Similarly, I like to see what's happening with my nieces and nephews. But if you do not share something about yourself, how do you get them to be interested in their uncle?

I do not post anything, nor comment on anything political or religious. One of my nieces occasionally posts about her political view. It bothered me, or rather it surprised me that she would do that, but I have learned to ignore those posts. After all, her political stance is not unknown to me, and mine to her. That did not keep us from caring about each other, so no big deal about her posts. I noticed that nobody else in the family commented or "liked" those posts of hers, even though quite a few shared her view. I guess she took that as a hint, and has not been doing that recently. Or someone told her to cut that out, so as not to upset uncle NW-Bound. :)

The truth is that I am not getting upset over silly things anymore. In the past, I had argued with liberals, conservatives, libertarians. If we got into political conversations, sooner or later they alway managed to piss me off. So, I don't do that anymore.

Last edited:
I refuse to have anything to do with fazebook. Thus I have not had the opportunity to pi$$ anyone off with my political leanings.

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the definition of social media is “forms of electronic communication through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content.”

Internet fora are social media. Better get that IQ tested :LOL::facepalm:

Zero involvement in social media and honestly believe that any involvement in social media ( i.e. FB , Twitter, etc) is inversely related to I.Q..

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the definition of social media is “forms of electronic communication through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content.”

Indeed. I would have thought it would have been clear what specific social media I was referring to, since most of this thread was about FB and similar applications, but since it wasn't...apparently....I should have my I.Q. checked.

The constant use of cell phones to check in with what others are doing, and incessant need to take pictures of what your are doing, or eating, or wearing and share that somewhere online, the selfies....and more selfies.....and then checking to see what selfies others have posted....yikes.

Watching an entire family sitting at a very nice restaurant for dinner, each with their heads down over their phones rather than speaking to each other.....wow.

Getting run into walking on a sidewalk because the person walking toward me is totally absorbed with their "social media"....disturbing.

Some of it is texting, but much what I hear people talk about is FB'ing, Snapping, Tweeting, and that all dangerous "etc." Really? There does seem to be a correlation to level of intelligence and these behaviors.

Last edited:

+1

I've been thinking about replying to Silver's post ever since I saw it. Thank you for saying at least part of what I was thinking, Amethyst!

Involvement with, or avoidance of, various forms of online groups/sites etc is understandable, but I think people do it for a variety of different (and sometimes quite complex) reasons. To suggest that intelligence alone is the sole determining factor in involvement, or lack of it is, IMO, a vast oversimplification.

Last edited:
Indeed. I would have thought it would have been clear what specific social media I was referring to, since most of this thread was about FB and similar applications, but since it wasn't...apparently....I should have my I.Q. checked.

The constant use of cell phones to check in with what others are doing, and incessant need to take pictures of what your are doing, or eating, or wearing and share that somewhere online, the selfies....and more selfies.....and then checking to see what selfies others have posted....yikes.

Watching an entire family sitting at a very nice restaurant for dinner, each with their heads down over their phones rather than speaking to each other.....wow.

Getting run into walking on a sidewalk because the person walking toward me is totally absorbed with their "social media"....disturbing.

Some of it is texting, but much what I hear people talk about is FB'ing, Snapping, Tweeting, and that all dangerous "etc." Really? There does seem to be a correlation to level of intelligence and these behaviors.

Once again you are generalizing people in a negative manner. I don't do one of those things you are complaining about and even if I did, your comment about intelligence is offensive. You want to call it bad manners fine, all rude people aren't stupid just like all people on FB aren't stupid.

Back
Top Bottom