Favorite cloud storage?

Floridatennisplayer

Recycles dryer sheets
Curious what everyone is using for pic and documents. Been happy with GoogleDrive. Even though I have recently switched back to an IPhone i find iCloud as irritating as iTunes.

I use the minimal free allowances for drop box, google, and ASUS. Dropbox seems the most functional as it seems to have been integrated with more third party platforms or applications.

I've used MS OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive) for years. Works fine for me.

Also Google Drive.

I have free Google Drive, Dropbox, and MS One Drive accounts. Free unlimited storage of compressed photos (fine for display and sharing) on Google Photos and high rez copies on Flicker where I have had an account for decades. If I didn't already have the Flickr account I might pop for the paid move to full resolution on Google Photos.

I have free Google Drive, Dropbox, and MS One Drive accounts.

but I really would like to move to a single platform. I haven't been able to make the switch so this thread could be helpful for me.

Don’t really use cloud storage except that my phone and iPad use iCloud to stay in sync. The main thing we use is Amazon, for our pictures. DW is the picture taker and administrator and she loaded up all our pictures to Amazon which is one of the benefits of Prime. Not sure if the have any non-picture storage space available but I am glad to have the pictures backed up in an offsite location and of course the pictures are the main space hog.

My picks are Google Photos for storing my pictures, Dropbox for storing/sharing other kinds of files I need access to while away from home (like PDFs), and Google Drive for spreadsheets, etc.

I don't use cloud storage as way to back up my important files, due to privacy concerns and the ongoing costs. Instead, I use a big external hard drive and backup software (Macrium Reflect) installed on my computer. Much cheaper over the long run and more secure.

I do not trust anyone's cloud to be the sole repository for my important files nor do I trust anyone's cloud to be the repository of sensitive financial or other information.

I do use Dropbox and Evernote, though, because both can synchronize my files among our PCs and tablets. This means that if the cloud goes away, I lose nothing that is important to me. In the case of Evernote, I do not synchronize everything but one of my most important uses is handling trip-related files like emails, itinerary pdfs, copies of AirBnB reservations, etc. These are synchronized from my desktop to to my tablet so I have access to them wherever in the world I have the tablet -- regardless of internet access.

I don't think I have ever really relied on the "cloud copies" of my files but I don't mind that they are there. Maybe someday I will need them. I am careful, though, to never permit unencrypted financial data to end up in the cloud. Since I really don't encrypt that stuff, this means it never goes to the cloud. Locally, though, I have Synology's dropbox-wannabe "Cloudstation" on our NAS box and I use that for replication of files that I don't want leaving home.

Pictures? Probably at least a half terabyte is on our NAS box in a pair of RAID 1 mirrored drives. Every once in a while the NAS box is backed up to a SATA drive that normally lives in my fire-resistant gun safe. This is not a completely bulletproof system because there is no offsite backup, but it is enough to make me comfortable.

I use the minimal free allowances for drop box, google, and ASUS. Dropbox seems the most functional as it seems to have been integrated with more third party platforms or applications.

I was able to increase my free DropBox allowance by getting more email addresses and "referring" myself to open additional free accounts. Not sure if DB still gives away storage space for referrals.

Currently I use iCloud since I've jumped headfirst into the Apple ecosystem. For a buck a month I get 50 GB which is more than enough space for all our devices to back themselves up, as well as to store and sync files between devices. The desktop uses an external drive to back up, but the phones and pads use the cloud.

iCloud works well for us. Pictures, Passwords, Bookmarks, Calendars, Docs.
Takes a while to figure how to set it up correctly. I share our calendars across two
computers and 2 phones.

I do not trust anyone's cloud to be the sole repository for my important files nor do I trust anyone's cloud to be the repository of sensitive financial or other information.

+10000, although unlike OldShooter I avoid storing any of my files on the cloud when possible.

Asking me what my "Favorite cloud storage" is, might be analogous to asking a 4-year-old kid whether boiled eyeballs or fried worms is their favorite dinner.

Of course, my online bank account and that sort of thing is kept in some sort of cloud, I suppose, but I do not seek out a cloud for file backup purposes.

Amazingly, life goes on without relying heavily on cloud storage, just as it always has. I'd rather lose every single file than back them up on the cloud (just call me odd! :LOL:). And here's a mind blower - - actually I haven't lost any that I can recall since 1986 when I started doing regular redundant back-ups to media that I have complete control over, here at home. No cloud for W2R.

I primarily use Google Drive for backup and for any "kinda sensitive" stuff, I encrypt it prior to upload. I also have a physical disk that is kept off premises that I will upload stuff to every few months. And yes, some physical documents in the fire box.

I have recently started using the 2FA physical key for my Google accounts. Although I am not naive to think that Google could NEVER be knocked off line, I do think that it would be very, VERY difficult as they would stand to lose billions of dollars if that were to happen...so I think they take security seriously.

Of course, my online bank account and that sort of thing is kept in some sort of cloud, I suppose, but I do not seek out a cloud for file backup purposes.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that much of your information (banking and otherwise) is already *in the cloud*...think about all the services that use AWS for data storage. Especially the smaller regional banks...they don't have the resources to keep all their information in a back room server area...not only to mention that I doubt the IT guy that works at Small Town Credit Union has the tools/experience/back ground that the large cloud providers do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post

Same here.

I have a free Dropbox account for important (but not financial) files like pdf's of auto and home insurance policies, stuff I may need to keep handy, etc.

Family and other pictures are kept local on a phone (DW) or on our local backup drive (hard drive via USB). We don't take many pictures anymore (never did, really) and have passed along historical photos and albums to the kids and grandkids already. Any new ones we take are sent via text to the appropriate offspring. :D

No cloud storage although I have a free Google one, if necessary.

I've used MS OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive) for years. Works fine for me.

Also Google Drive.
Same here...trying to move to a chromebook without Windows or office and MS One drive seems to have a nice ms office version for free online.

Does anyone know of any concerns with this? It sure seems like I can go full cloud for much better performance and not be missing anything important. I need my ms excel though.

Does anyone use encrypted cloud storage for anything sensitive? Do you encrypt yourself then just throw into generic storage or rely on an online provider’s system? What about both, for double encryption, belt and suspenders?

I travel quite a bit, so I like Google Cloud. I do backups nightly, or more often.

If someone hacks my pictures, who cares. I suspect that Google cloud is more secure than my own PC.

There are definitely risks with cloud storage but a lot of the calculation depends on what you store. I keep my password safe on Dropbox but it is heavily encrypted. My photos are in multiple cloud locations but noting sensitive there. I also keep my PC "Documents" folder (and its sub folders) backed up online so that stuff is at risk but it would take a pretty sophisticated effort to make much from it. I avoid keeping truly sensitive stuff on my PC (Account numbers and passwords, SS info, banking statements, etc.) so the biggest danger I could foresee is someone combing thru every little thing they could steal trying to gather social engineering info for identity theft. But my credit is locked down with the pins in the encrypted password safe. And I suspect identity thieves can get better and more relevant data from other sources that we can't do anything to correct (e.g. the Equifax breach). I used to keep local backups but I dumped them because it just seems easier and a reasonable tradeoff to move to the cloud.

I like Bruce Schneier on security. He had this to say a few years back:

Security Trade-offs of Cloud Backup
This is a good essay on the security trade-offs with cloud backup:

iCloud backups have not eliminated this problem, but they have made it far less common. This is, like almost everything in tech, a trade-off:

Your data is far safer from irretrievable loss if it is synced/backed up, regularly, to a cloud-based service.
Your data is more at risk of being stolen if it is synced/backed up, regularly, to a cloud-based service.
Ideally, the companies that provide such services minimize the risk of your account being hijacked while maximizing the simplicity and ease of setting it up and using it. But clearly these two goals are in conflict. There's no way around the fact that the proper balance is somewhere in between maximal security and minimal complexity.

Further, I would wager heavily that there are thousands and thousands more people who have been traumatized by irretrievable data loss (who would have been saved if they'd had cloud-based backups) than those who have been victimized by having their cloud-based accounts hijacked (who would have been saved if they had only stored their data locally on their devices).

It is thus, in my opinion, terribly irresponsible to advise people to blindly not trust Apple (or Google, or Dropbox, or Microsoft, etc.) with "any of your data" without emphasizing, clearly and adamantly, that by only storing their data on-device, they greatly increase the risk of losing everything.

It's true. For most people, the risk of data loss is greater than the risk of data theft.​

I suppose a sensible approach for somebody who is extremely worried about data breaches would be to encrypt everything locally and keep encrypted copies in the cloud. You still need to have a way to share your keys in case you die or are incapacitated.

Last edited:
Same here...trying to move to a chromebook without Windows or office and MS One drive seems to have a nice ms office version for free online.

Does anyone know of any concerns with this? It sure seems like I can go full cloud for much better performance and not be missing anything important. I need my ms excel though.
I have been using Chromebooks and Chromeboxes exclusively for personal use for several years and I am very happy and I have no concerns.

After fumbling with free account with DropBox for years, I finally signed up with pCloud life time plan. I have been happy so far.

Last edited:
In a nod to simplification, and in hopefully future-proofing our tech in case I shuffle off this mortal coil before the wife does, I have paid for 200GB on iCloud, which allows both of us to use it jointly. It is mostly just app data, but I also moved all our main documents from Google Drive to iCloud Drive.

Photos and videos are another matter. We are at 250GB and climbing, so those are all on a Flickr Pro account.

Within the next month the iCloud interface is getting a big update. Hopefully this eases some of the pain points.

A couple of my most-used apps, Errands (to-do list) and ShopShop (shopping lists) can sync to cloud services (iCloud and Dropbox, respectively). I’d been using iCloud for Errands and created a Dropbox free account for ShopShop. That’s all for convenience to use the apps on multiple mobile devices. I don’t plan to use Dropbox on my desktop iMac.

Otherwise I use Google Drive and Photos but am careful about the content of what is placed on cloud backup.

There are definitely risks with cloud storage but a lot of the calculation depends on what you store. I keep my password safe on Dropbox but it is heavily encrypted. My photos are in multiple cloud locations but noting sensitive there. I also keep my PC "Documents" folder (and its sub folders) backed up online so that stuff is at risk but it would take a pretty sophisticated effort to make much from it. I avoid keeping truly sensitive stuff on my PC (Account numbers and passwords, SS info, banking statements, etc.) so the biggest danger I could foresee is someone combing thru every little thing they could steal trying to gather social engineering info for identity theft. But my credit is locked down with the pins in the encrypted password safe. And I suspect identity thieves can get better and more relevant data from other sources that we can't do anything to correct (e.g. the Equifax breach). I used to keep local backups but I dumped them because it just seems easier and a reasonable tradeoff to move to the cloud.

I like Bruce Schneier on security. He had this to say a few years back:

Security Trade-offs of Cloud Backup
This is a good essay on the security trade-offs with cloud backup:

iCloud backups have not eliminated this problem, but they have made it far less common. This is, like almost everything in tech, a trade-off:

Your data is far safer from irretrievable loss if it is synced/backed up, regularly, to a cloud-based service.
Your data is more at risk of being stolen if it is synced/backed up, regularly, to a cloud-based service.
Ideally, the companies that provide such services minimize the risk of your account being hijacked while maximizing the simplicity and ease of setting it up and using it. But clearly these two goals are in conflict. There's no way around the fact that the proper balance is somewhere in between maximal security and minimal complexity.

Further, I would wager heavily that there are thousands and thousands more people who have been traumatized by irretrievable data loss (who would have been saved if they'd had cloud-based backups) than those who have been victimized by having their cloud-based accounts hijacked (who would have been saved if they had only stored their data locally on their devices).

It is thus, in my opinion, terribly irresponsible to advise people to blindly not trust Apple (or Google, or Dropbox, or Microsoft, etc.) with "any of your data" without emphasizing, clearly and adamantly, that by only storing their data on-device, they greatly increase the risk of losing everything.

It's true. For most people, the risk of data loss is greater than the risk of data theft.​

I suppose a sensible approach for somebody who is extremely worried about data breaches would be to encrypt everything locally and keep encrypted copies in the cloud. You still need to have a way to share your keys in case you die or are incapacitated.

Thanks! I’d don’t us the cloud much, except for a photo website, but will probably use it for a very limited and encrypted critical backup. We’ll encrypt locally, then use a vendor that claims to encrypt yet again before my data is uploaded to their server. PC magazine has reviews of top contenders. My critical stuff will fit in to the free allotment in many cases.

For less critical, but still important stuff, we’ll give hard drives or ssd’s to friends. We have TB’s if this data,so not convenient to store online given the size and slow internet. Important, but not confidential, just tons of photos and OS/software backup off-site.

I pay Google Drive $10/month for 2TB of storage and I use what we in IT industry call 3-2-1 backup.
Meaning, have at least 3 copies of all of your important data. 2 at home on different storage devices (external and Internal drives) and 1 off site (Google Drive)

Back
Top Bottom