Chromecast Tips?

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
So I've been navigating around my new Google TV and can find basically the few channels/platforms I watch....lots of digging through layers and not a great interface, however.

The TV is compatible with Chromecast of course, so I bought one of those, thinking that it might streamline the interface, but so far I am not finding that it does that. I still have to dig around...I did set up a favorite apps list though.

I see it has a voice remote function but so far, haven't been able to activate it - still troubleshooting, what a PITA.

If any of you use Chromecast, would appreciate tips or any benefits you receive from it? As of today, I am 50% leaning toward a return on this....I just don't see the value? (I recognize this could be a user problem)

I would think Chromecast is built in to a google TV?
Post up the model please so I can educate myself.
I use Chromecast for displaying all sorts of content that I find on my chromebook or android phone in the Chrome browser.
That makes it easy to share maps, pictures, video that I find on the small screen.
If you have a chrome browser on your phone or laptop, connect it to the TV and check that feature out.

it is: TCL 50" Class S4 S-Class 4K UHD HDR LED Smart TV with Google TV - 50S450G

I just noticed on the specs it says: "Chromecast Built In" - well then plugging another one into the back is a waste...sheesh. I guess I am spoiled - recalling the days when you could quickly pull up a channel, instead of having to surf a screen for your channels.

I use youtube TV for the channels and that is pretty easy. They have a promo on for it.

If any of you use Chromecast, would appreciate tips or any benefits you receive from it? As of today, I am 50% leaning toward a return on this....I just don't see the value? (I recognize this could be a user problem)
Chromecast allows me to play songs/podcasts from apps on my Android phone through my TV which is connected to stereo speakers. My TV has only a few apps, none of which I use, so I use my favorite apps on my phone. I can also control (e.g. pause, adjust volume, mute, skip commercials, etc) from from my phone anywhere in my house as long as I'm in WIFI range.

Amazon fire stick offers a few things that Chromecast doesn't.
On my girlfriend's TV, I have the MSNBC, CNN, and NESN360 apps on the fire stick, so I can watch those channels based on my account at my house...

Take the TV back. Get rid of that confusing Google TV system and get a TCL TV with Roku built in to it. Roku is much easier to understand how to use.

You'll be looking for a TCL class 4 series 4K ROKU TV. Since you're going through the hassle of bringing back the TV you might as well step up to a 55 inch screen.

Last edited:
These are the two big benefits I get from my Chromecast:
-I consolidate my streaming services (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc) so I have one source (Chromecast) that I can navigate from.
-Any time I find or think of a movie I'm interested in, I add it to "Want to Watch" on Google. Literally, search for any movie, and on the right side of the screen you'll find the option. Google can then let you know when that movie is available to rent, or to stream for free with your specific services. This works out pretty slick - I'll get a notification or two a week that I can now watch a movie for free that I would previously have had to pay for.

I don't have a Google TV but I imagine with that name, most of these features are already in the TV and the Chromecast becomes redundant.

Back
Top Bottom