Monthly Cost for Cable/Internet

Rianne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I posted on Cable Cutting thread. Seems the discussion there is regarding better streaming services, equipment, devices etc. I'm interested in total monthly cost for in home entertainment and internet. I feel like I'm being ripped off, then again I'm not sure. Cutting the cord can be complicated (we're not tech savvy) and I don't want to go through all that and realize huge mistake.
So our cost as of this date:

AT&T Uverse package:
Internet (Unlimited usage 11.18 MG speed) $20
Three TV's (all Uverse:all DVR:220 channels and Showtime/Starz)
$128 BUT they are giving $35 discount for CBS and Fox sports negotiations. So, for now $93
Netflix $12.99, gift sharing to niece
Prime $9 approx
As of today: $135/month We'll see what happens with CBS negotiations, but I have CBS through app for free/Prime. Somewhat inconvenient.

I have just about the same setup (U-verse, NEtflix, Prime) for the same monthly cost. I have been oscillating back and forth between U-verse and Cable as the cost, inevitably, escalates dramatically after the first year or two.
In the past, I also had Dish and DirectV at different times, but I did get tired of losing signal during heavy rain and snow, so I don't do satellite dishes anymore.

... total monthly cost for in home entertainment and internet.

Internet - 62
OTA antenna - 0
Philo - 17
Acorn - 5
Prime - 9
Total = $93

(FWIW, we were paying $150 a month before we shed the $79/mo we were paying for Dish and replaced it with Philo and Acorn, resulting in a savings of $57/mo.)

Primary Residence

$65 (400 MBit/S)
Philo $20
HBO $14
Hulu $6
CBS All Access $60 annually
Dumped Netflix (too many shows and movies were duds - HBO is much better)

Second residence - Cable/Internet included in monthly fee
- I use my services from my primary residence

Third residence - OTA (Free)
- Satellite (Free)
- Internet $58

Internet - $45 monthly - special 1 year promotion coz we moved; otherwise $65 monthly
Sling TV - $45 monthly - started with the $25 package and added on 4 different $5 packages.
Total - $90

TV:
  • Dish Satellite (no OTA where we live): skinny Welcome Pack (but includes HGTV which is mandatory per DW :() $30/month plus a DVR ($15) and Joey for a second TV ($7)... total of $52 plus taxes and fees comes to ~$55/month. $5/month on vacation mode off season.
  • CBS All-Access streaming.... we have the premium no commercials version for $11/month including tax... a bit of a splurge to access some shows we like that are only available on CBS All-Access
  • Hulu.... last year's Black Friday promo that was $2/month... hardly use at all so will drop soon.
  • Prime... in my mind $0 since we would have Prime for free shipping so Prime Video is just a bonus
Total TV = $68/month... $66 after we drop Hulu.

Internet: Spectrum 100 mbps $65/month... $45/month for the first 12 months... when we go south for the winter we will downgrade to a lower speed package that will be $45/month IIRC.

Total for both on season: $131/month.... off season we put Dish on vacation mode and will downgrade internet so it will be ~$50/month total.

Above is for primary residence.

For winter condo, Xfinity basic cable* is included in HOA fee (~$33) so our offseason cost is $0 (but we do pay a neighbor $5/month to link our security camera to his wi-fi for the offseason). When we are there we add internet which is $75/month and gives us additional channels.

* when at home in the summer we use Fitzy TV and our Florida condo Xfinity credentials to see USA, TNT, ESPN, Golf Channel, etc that are in our basic cable in Florida but not in our skinny Welcome Pack Dish programming at home.

Total for the year is ~$1,652 or ~$138/month on average (excludes Hulu which we will drop, Prime which we would have anyway for the free shipping and Xfinity where we have no choice since it is in the HOA fee).

Last edited:
Includes all fees/taxes:

Cable Monopoly 300/20 Mbps: $80.84

Sling (Blue+4 package): $34.99

Netflix: $12.99

Hulu (no ad version): $11.99

We also have Amazon Prime, so not including that since we would be Prime members regardless of the video content available. We had DirecTV Now, but that was cancelled a few days ago.

TOTAL: $140.81 (or $59.97 for TV viewing only)

Our equipment is one Fire TV box (Living room) and 4 Fire Sticks for the rest of the TVs (exercise room, DW's office, Master Bedroom, outdoor/patio) and a Fire TV Recast box for the antenna/OTA. If I were to purchase that equipment today, it would cost me $517.95 This price includes the attic OTA antenna and 5 Amazon Fire sticks...I wouldn't get another Fire TV (they are "cubes" now) because the processing speed with the sticks is plenty enough.

Spectrum Cable Internet 100 Mpbs - regular price of $65.99, just negotiated another rate cut to $55.99 for the next 12 months
Hulu - $5.99/mo. extended promo
Netflix - $8.99/mo.

Total - $70.97 for the next 12 months

OTA antenna and Roku

200M internet only...$101/month

What a bargain

Internet - $50 (Comcast)
TV (OTA) - $0
Streaming - $10 (Amazon Prime)
Home phone - $ 18 (Ooma Prime + tax)
Mobile phone - $25 (Consumer Cellular)

Total - $ 103.00 monthly

Last edited:
Charter was costing us 218/month. Switched to AT&T and direct tv and internet is 77/month for a year. Second year it will be 137. Then we will go back to charter for their new customer deal.

Internet - $75
OTA - $0
Amazon Prime - $10

When on Time Warner/Spectrum prior to cutting the cord, we were paying $161 and had received notice it was increasing to almost $200. Nope.

Cox Ripoff Internet - $88/month
Netflix/Hulu - $21/month
Acorn - $5/month
OTA - $0

$114/month

In our area, Century Link is the only other internet provider and based on the number and volume of gripes we've heard about them, have decided to stay with Cox for the time being.

Consolidated Communications (we just dropped Comcast this week):

Internet - 90 Mb/sec down (DSL)

TV - about 190 useless channels and 3 or 4 that DW NEEDS :(

Two TV's (not Smart); one with a Amazon Fire Stick, one Roku.

Netflix and Amazon Prime (worthless to me, DW uses once per month, I guess) - Not sure of the cost. Maybe $25/month combined?

Two desktops running on fixed IP addresses (set by me)
One Chromebook and DW's IPad, both wireless.

Consolidated is charging use about $140/month which is better than $254/month Comcast was charging us.

We recently un-cut the cord after the various streaming TV providers all hit $40/month.

Cable (125 channels with HD on one TV + 150 Mbps internet) = $82.77
Netflix streaming (4 screens, kids share it) = $15.99
Netflix blu-rays = $14.99

Total screen time cost including disks = $113.75/mo

We also have Prime and watch it sometimes, but would have it regardless.

EDIT - and another $60/month in spring-summer-fall for slow internet (I think it is 25 Mbps) at our other house. Fortunately it can be suspended over the winter.

Last edited:
I'm interested in total monthly cost for in home entertainment and internet. I feel like I'm being ripped off, then again I'm not sure. Cutting the cord can be complicated (we're not tech savvy) and I don't want to go through all that and realize huge mistake.

Internet - 69
Netflix - 13
Prime - 9
Sling - 25
Fitzy - 0

Total = $ 116

Our last Comcast bill for internet plus cable was in '17 for $156.71. We just signed up for Sling and I'm doubtful we'll keep it.

Cable/Internet charges: $83.99/month TOTAL

$83.99/month internet (Cox, 150Mbps)
$0/month television

I get about 30-40 television channels OTA on a homemade indoor antenna, but really I am SO fed up with TV that I hardly watch it at all any more. I did watch local coverage of Hurricane Barry (free, on my OTA channels), but haven't turned it on since.

I do have Amazon Prime for shipping, but I don't watch their streaming video.

FIOS: triple pack, TV (preferred plan), Land Line House phone (per DW) and internet. This month 163.61. Last month it was 162.00 and in January it was 160. Each month it is a crap shoot with Verizon regarding the price. The package is 104.99, Whole House DVR: 24.00, Fee's & Taxes:34.62

Just to answer the question before it comes: NO I don't see a significant improvement over cable in picture quality or internet speed

In my mail today:

Verizon FIOS Internet 200/200 $39.99 month
Verizon FIOS Internet, TV, phone $79.99 month 2 year price guarantee

Altice Cable Internet unspecified speed $27.50 month
Altice One and Internet 64.99 month

ATT Uverse (internet)
Directv (television)

We were paying about $115/ month. Then our "special" ran out and it went to almost $150. DW called and threatened to switch to Spectrum, and after going through several people, they gave us a new one year "special" for $89.13 (including taxes). I expect we will play the game a year from now and end up switching to Spectrum (again, we been to this dance a few times before).

$117 for cable and internet. The cable is a "silver" level so most of the non movie channels are included.

Cable $130
Internet $100
netflix $16
Prime $10
HBO $0 (share with someone)
Hulu $0 (share with someone)
Total $256/month

We're planning to get rid of the cable soon. Maybe try a slower internet too, as we have far more than we use (500 mbps) right now.

Spectrum internet $40.79 with tax
Modem rental fee $0 (I bought my own)
Netflix - 3 Bluray disks at a time $28.26
Total: $69.05

Interestingly, Spectrum just sent an introductory offer to stream all local channels, plus 10 channel you choose, for $25/mo for two years.

I have found that you need to actually cancel and go to another provider to get the best price. Just saying you are going to do it isn't enough. Then every year bounce to a new provider for the best offer. They punish loyalty.

Back
Top Bottom