Security cameras

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anybody have experience with the Wyze home security camera. For $20 it spends like a great deal.

https://www.wyzecam.com

“Clearly see the moments that matter

1080p Full HD | Motion Tagging | Night Vision

$19.99”

They have close to 700 reviews on Amazon which are mainly positive, but a lot of concerns about where the data is being sent.

I can't imagine how they can sustain a business selling these cameras for $20 and not charging a subscription to store data. Something is going to have to give. I'd be curious to see if anyone knows what their business plans are. This is a case where it just seems to good to be true.

I have the Arlo Pro system, which I do think is overpriced. But it does work really well, and it's wireless and weatherproof. I mainly needed outdoor security and I don't have the ability to run power cables to the places I wanted my cameras, so Arlo was pretty much my only option.

I have Blink at my summer home. Cost was ~$225 for 3 cameras... two indoor and one outdoor. Similar concept... cameras are wi-fi and operate on battery for ~2 years.... if they sense motion they record a video clip in the cloud and notify me via my cellphone where I can then view the video clips.

I have been pretty happy but I recently learned that there were at least two visits to my home (propane delivery and the guy who checks in on the house and waters the plants that I did not receive an alarm... so the jury is out.

Oops :facepalm:... strike that... the jury is back in.... I realized that at some point I had disarmed the cameras and that is why I was not receiving notifications!

I've been using D-Link cameras for years. Now have 7 of them in two houses, mostly to monitor my semi-independent brother who lives alone. They're essentially baby monitors. I don't record anything and wouldn't know how to set it up but the recording is on the camera, not in the cloud. I do have motion detection to alert me when bro decides to get out of bed in the morning.

They work fine, the apps work great but set-up is a bit of a PITA. I'm kind of locked in at this point due to having so many of them now but in hindsight I'd likely go with a broader product.

I have a three camera Y-Cam system bought on Amazon. Used to offer free 7 day on-line storage but now charge $30+/yr. per camera so I only signed up for one.

Pros: they're POE so one ethernet cable per camera.
Live view on iPhone app. I can quickly see whats going on at home.

Cons: I get a gazillion unnecessary recordings especially in the the summer when the bees love to hang around under the eaves.
Often record a bird going by then sleep while a truck goes by.

Bottom line: I have mounted two Stealthcam game cameras on trees in front of the house. They take hi def photos or video and save to a SDHC card. Theres no online access and I have to swap cards to get at the pics but they actually serve my needs better.

Anybody have experience with the Wyze home security camera. For $20 it spends like a great deal.

https://www.wyzecam.com

“Clearly see the moments that matter

1080p Full HD | Motion Tagging | Night Vision

$19.99”

You would be better off buying pan tilt cameras like the FOSCAM FI9816PW. You will need fewer cameras to cover more area. We use two of them to monitor the inside of our condo in Florida. We use three of them finside our home in California. In addition we have a Q-see 8 camera system to cover the exterior with it's own DVR. Fixed cameras have their limitations that become very apparent after you install them. I made that mistake with the D-Link cameras I bought before.

I have Blink at my summer home. Cost was ~$225 for 3 cameras... two indoor and one outdoor. Similar concept... cameras are wi-fi and operate on battery for ~2 years.... if they sense motion they record a video clip in the cloud and notify me via my cellphone where I can then view the video clips.

I have been pretty happy but I recently learned that there were at least two visits to my home (propane delivery and the guy who checks in on the house and waters the plants that I did not receive an alarm... so the jury is out.

I bought DS and his wife a Blink setup for Christmas. Not sure if he has set it up yet, but it looked a very cost effective solution to me.

I am a big fan of the RING products. I have a video doorbell and two driveway cams . I easily installed them myself and monitor the activity via a phone app for $3 / mo. Their customer service has been excellent. I can move these cameras to different locations to monitor vacant rentals for example. As long as WiFi is available they work.

I use Canary cameras. Highly recommend.

Well, for a completely opposite opinion, I understand how hard a word hate is but I HATE Canary!

Started good enough a couple of years ago when I bought a Canary to monitor an unoccupied house I bought. Then I bought more of their products.

I always wanted a no-subscription setup to monitor my areas. So far so good.

Key thing to note on Canary is that you are not connecting to your camera directly. Your camera feeds the Canary cloud and then you view the feed from the Canary cloud.

Latency is horrible, as in MINUTES. And that is IF you can connect at all.

I've had a camera alert of a truck pulling into my driveway AFTER i see a man on my balcony, minutes later.

But worst of all, they are getting so greedy pushing their annual subscriptions that they've rendered their hardware nearly unusable unless you want to pay an annual fee.

Again, HATE Canary. Much better offerings out there.

Back
Top Bottom