Want an OTA DVR that does not require Internet

Bongleur

Full time employment: Posting here.
I want a simple DVR that acts like my DVD or VHS recorder.
1) plug the antenna coax into it.
2) use the Over The Air (OTA) program guide or none at all (see 3).
3) say "record THIS channel, on THAT date, between X and Y o'clock.
4) Needs an internal tuner - not recording the channel the TV is displaying.

Any recommendations?

My 1990's DVD/VHS recorder died again a few days ago, so back to the repair shop & hope its just the DVD drive gone bad again. Would prefer to get another DVD recorder, but they are not being made anymore.

I bought a Channel Master "stream+" on Christmas sale and it really sucks eggs. It is a piece of junk.
1) most channels show "no information" - so cannot record. & its the channels I want 90% of the time. Not even the PBS channels !!!
2) of those that do, it is impossible to begin recording after the program has started. Likewise cannot stop recording.
3) cannot record by pushing a button on the remote -- must navigate back to "guide" then scroll to the channel & scroll to the time... all the while missing what I wanted to record at that instant. Well, it won't record a program "in progress anyway....
4) requires internet connection to work at all -- ALL I want is to connect the coax from the antenna, and say "record channel 3, tomorrow, between 8AM and 10AM." I don't want the Google conglomerate to steal my personal information (ie television viewing data).
5) Zero instructions on how to use it.
6) remote does not change the channels by using the numeric buttons. What else are they for?
7) the "Stream User Guide" tries to open something to do with YouTube.
8) There is no actual guide or instruction set. Want WRITTEN manual.

The Tablo device fills most of your requirements, but it does require a connection to your TVs via your LAN (local area network). It doesn't require an internet connection after initial setup. https://www.tablotv.com/

I bought a Channel Master "stream+" on Christmas sale and it really sucks eggs. It is a piece of junk.
1) most channels show "no information" - so cannot record. & its the channels I want 90% of the time. Not even the PBS channels !!!
2) of those that do, it is impossible to begin recording after the program has started. Likewise cannot stop recording.
3) cannot record by pushing a button on the remote -- must navigate back to "guide" then scroll to the channel & scroll to the time... all the while missing what I wanted to record at that instant. Well, it won't record a program "in progress anyway....
4) requires internet connection to work at all -- ALL I want is to connect the coax from the antenna, and say "record channel 3, tomorrow, between 8AM and 10AM." I don't want the Google conglomerate to steal my personal information (ie television viewing data).
6) remote does not change the channels by using the numeric buttons. What else are they for?

From the tone of your post I'm thinking you aren't looking for solutions to the above Channel Master Stream+ issues, you just want to vent?

Last edited:
This is a very basic DVR that I used until I 'upgraded' to an Amazon FIRE DVR (which I like). Search Amazon for this and read the reviews about it, because it also can be a bit challenging to program:

Mediasonic HW-150PVR ATSC Digital Converter Box w/ TV Recording, Media Player, and TV Tuner Function

Any recommendations?

My 1990's DVD/VHS recorder died again a few days ago, so back to the repair shop & hope its just the DVD drive gone bad again. Would prefer to get another DVD recorder, but they are not being made anymore.

I think the old Magnavox DVR/DVD recorders might be what you have in mind. I have one that I bought in 2013. It programs like an old VCR (I use the remote and schedule a recording with that, not using a guide but explicitly choosing date/time like an old VCR :) (see picture)). DVR is strictly OTA, not through the internet.

I use the DVR as a workhorse. Recording about 3 hours of news everyday and fast forwarding through commercials, then deleting the program after watching.

A couple of drawbacks with this DVR is the picture quality isn't totally high def (more like 1080p upscaled at highest setting). Another drawback is seems prices are pretty high for an old antique like this. Also, there are different models but the look very similar, so a bit confusing to evaluate. I've read that some say the older version of the model are better. Not sure. I'm happy with the one I got :popcorn:. As I said, it's a workhorse.

Attachments

• 100_2536.JPG
    100_2536.JPG
    515.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Why on earth would my TV be connected to my LAN? And how?

People want to be able to look at their phones, far away from a hotel, in the middle of the night to see a recording that got saved through stream about 2 months ago.

I may be exaggerating, but not too much :(.

I'm with you, happy to go old school with a VCR type recorder.

Find an old Tivo Roamio OTA unit. While they work best with a guide that requires an internet connection, I believe you can also setup a manual recording such as channel 7 on Tuesday from 8-10 PM.

I need to vent because of the roller coaster... DVD breaks just when I want to record holiday specials, but I had already ordered the Stream+ just to learn the tech, so it arrives & I'm happy -- until I do the work of setting it up & fiddling until I figure out that its not me, its the unit that doesn't work because the Program Guide is faulty (everything is "unavailable). Holidays mean longer wait to see if the DVD recorder can be repaired again. Lots of stuff on DVD unwatchable w/o it.

Spent the last many hours researching things...

You can't find DVD recorders anymore -- the Magnavox was the "last old stock" of parts assembled, and they dried up about 3 years ago. Used prices are very very high & condition is a crapshoot because sellers don't have the stuff to test them with anymore -- some people won't even have a TV that it will connect to, since TV's don't have Component Input anymore (3 colored RCA jacks) only HDMI.

Looks like a Digital Converter Box is the only option -- many for sale, but according to my research on video forums, most are crap quality. all the same cheap Asian guts inside. I have ordered a couple to check it out.

I'm real simple : antenna on roof, amps & splitters in attic, end of line coax splitter into TV + DVD recorder (now will be into Digital Converter Box).

Also the downstairs TV seems to have a broken IR receiver board -- not made anymore, but some eBay people will fix yours - watched the video, usually a matter of removing bad capacitors & replacing with new. Again, holidays making it slower to repair -- the space for taking the TV apart is occupied.

And tax return season is starting...
Its one damn thing after another !

I own a Stream+ and while it does have some quirks, it works reasonably well to record OTA programming. FWIW...

1. After you scan your local channels the guide takes a while (an hour or more as I recall) to initially complete the download of all the information. Once it does it will show ~ two weeks of upcoming programming.

2 & 3. You can record a program already in progress without navigating back to the guide. This explains how :
https://support.channelmaster.com/h...-already-started-on-my-Stream-CM-7600-CM7600-

EDIT: You might want to also confirm you have the latest software update for the guide. https://support.channelmaster.com/h...y-guide-Live-Channels-SW-version-1-21-CM-7600

Last edited:

Any recommendations?
I've been on the development team of a Windows PC based DVR system for a very, very long time (CWEPG). Starting out, we supported (and still support) PC tuner boards, but "nobody" uses the tuner boards any more...everyone has gone to an external device called "HD Homerun" from Silicon Dust.

1) You plug the antenna (or two or four) into the HDHR box. But an additional few steps include putting the HDHR tuner box on your home network, and having a Windows PC with CWEPG (or one of the many other solutions that work on various other operating systems).
2) The software on the PC can go out every day and get a solid set of schedules for your geography from "schedules direct" (a non-profit), but it's not free ($25/yr). The software does not use OTA program guides because, as you noted, they are pretty much useless.
3) Most of these solutions, including CWEPG, have "VCR" scheduling function, yes.
4) Yes, the HDHR box is independent of your TV's tuner.

The problems you're having with lack of good schedule data is just the nature of the OTA programming guide beast. That's why quite a few solutions use "SchedulesDirect" data. In fact, if you want a list of applications that do what you want to do, you could look at the list of programs that use SchedulesDirect data. The problems with the remote control are at once eliminated and then exacerbated by solutions such as CWEPG in that your interface becomes a computer screen. But you can do complicated stuff (like TIVO season pass kind of functionality), and simple stuff (like VCR tomoorow, channel 3 at 10am), with minimal effort. Many of these solutions, including CWEPG, only access the Internet for Schedules direct, so no mysterious connections to phone home big brother. Most of these solutions are on the geeky-side, and so you can often find a forum to ask questions, and there's actually someone there who can give you a straight answer. The flip-side of geeky is that you can't expect to get answers if you haven't tried something and take the time to tell the community what you tried, and what the unexpected results were.

I'm real simple : antenna on roof, amps & splitters in attic, end of line coax splitter into TV + DVD recorder (now will be into Digital Converter Box)
Note that you can simplify this (and get better recordings) if you put your tuners right up there near the antennas; I've had my HDHR's in the attic for many years without a problem, even though it routinely gets well over 100 degrees in the summer. Your down-link becomes an Ethernet cable, or there are some that even do it over wifi (not me).

Here's another thread on this topic.

Last edited:
Be sure an include a "skip 30 seconds" button in your system, to skip commercials.

There is no need whatsoever for a schedule from the internet or for the PC to know the schedule. In fact, that is counterproductive. There seems to be no way for those systems to be told to start at 4:10 and end at 5, when the show has started at 4 and it is now 4:05. Or to record just a couple of minutes of something that catches your eye.

You use something like TitanTV on your computer to learn when the show airs.
Then you use the remote to schedule that channel, date, timespan. The box has no idea what the program is. Doesn't need to.

Guide information transmitted OTA is usually only good a few days.

For ~$250 you could pick up a used base Roamio (4 OTA tuners) w/ lifetime service off eBay.

Takes about 20 minutes to setup for your zip code, then less than 5 minutes nightly to keep the next 2 weeks of program information up to date.

Doesn't require a continuous internet connection...will try to update nightly (built-in WiFi) but you can simply force a manual connection every week or so to keep the guide updated.

30 second skip, ~25 minute buffer on each tuner on live TV, hit record if you run across something interesting and it starts recording that program.

Is there really no internet available (can't tether to a cellphone) where you want the OTA DVR?

Last edited:
"nobody" uses the tuner boards any more...everyone has gone to an external device called "HD Homerun" from Silicon Dust.

The HD Homerun has certainly improved since I last looked at it, but I still prefer a Hauppauge QuadHD tuner card in my computer. No additional box sitting around, no additional cables to run, and no additional wall warts to have to plug in somewhere. Since my computer is on a UPS, it will keep recording a TV show even if the power goes out (as long as the outage is less than 80 minutes or so).

I use NPVR (formerly GBPVR) with Schedules Direct to get my TV listings and perform the recordings. Then I use Comskip and VideoRedo each night to automatically remove the commercials from the shows I record that day.

Shows get saved to my hard drive, then I stream them over my wired home network to my old TVIX N6600 network media player.

Be sure an include a "skip 30 seconds" button in your system, to skip commercials.

My old network media player has a 15 second forward and backward skip. I don't skip forward that often, since my recording setup removes commercials automatically. But I still occasionally skip over opening scenes or whatnot. I use the backward skip a lot for "what did he say" moments, or to take another look at something that blipped by too quickly. Going back 30 seconds would be kind of annoying, waiting for that scene again. 15 seconds works well, though 10 seconds would probably be better.

There is no need whatsoever for a schedule from the internet or for the PC to know the schedule. In fact, that is counterproductive. There seems to be no way for those systems to be told to start at 4:10 and end at 5, when the show has started at 4 and it is now 4:05. Or to record just a couple of minutes of something that catches your eye.

The TV schedule works well to record shows that air at different times. For instance, networks often postpone a show after a sporting or news event. Or they'll move it to a different day if it gets preempted by something else. Or they just change their schedule around, showing your favorite program on Friday instead of Wednesdays. Sometimes networks will play two or three episodes of a show in a row. In NPVR I just tell it which show I want to record, and whether to record all episodes or just new episodes, it takes care of the rest. I don't need to know the day or time it airs.

With NPVR I can select a show to record even if it has already started (i.e. five minutes after the show began).

NPVR (or the older GBPVR) used to have a manual record (select channel, start time, stop time), but I don't know if it still has that capability. I've never used it.

I bought the Mediasonic Homworkx HW-150PVR which is a tuner and recorder for about $30 on sale. I would not recommend it for recording, it seems to have audio sync issues at random times. As a tuner it does a good job.

FWIW, if you keep your Tivo's tuners set to the stations you watch most often, it is constantly recording and keeping a 30 minute buffer. So, if at 8:30 PM you realize you wanted to record Return to Gilligan's Island which started at 8:00 and one of the tuners is set to that channel no problem. Hit the record button and the recording starts with the 30 minutes of buffer.

When watching live TV I often make sure the one of the tuners is set to the channel I wish to watch, then I wait about 15 minutes after the show has started. This way I can FF through the commercials.

The skip function is in whatever you use to playback. I use VLC and I have 4 different skips defined (for instance, I defined control-right and control-left to skip 15 seconds, but I have larger and smaller skips defined).

You use something like TitanTV on your computer to learn when the show airs.
Then you use the remote to schedule that channel, date, timespan. The box has no idea what the program is. Doesn't need to.
I think I might understand what you find difficult about schedules, and why you don't feel they're required. It sounds like you've had issues with starting an impromptu recording "now". You're right...if the software doesn't allow that, it's certainly "bad", but not all solutions that use scheduling suffer that problem. You certainly can manually note the time a show starts and on what days and what channel (TitanTV), then key that into a time/duration/channel interface, but as mentioned by mountainsoft, I'd rather have that process automated, so you do what a human does best (pick out program titles), and you let the computer do the time/duration/channel details. If you had experience with inaccurate schedules in the past, I can see why you would trust keying your own, but I'd say SchedulesDirect is as good as TitanTV.

Guide information transmitted OTA is usually only good a few days.

For ~$250 you could pick up a used base Roamio (4 OTA tuners) w/ lifetime service off eBay.

Takes about 20 minutes to setup for your zip code, then less than 5 minutes nightly to keep the next 2 weeks of program information up to date.

Doesn't require a continuous internet connection...will try to update nightly (built-in WiFi) but you can simply force a manual connection every week or so to keep the guide updated.

30 second skip, ~25 minute buffer on each tuner on live TV, hit record if you run across something interesting and it starts recording that program.

Is there really no internet available (can't tether to a cellphone) where you want the OTA DVR?

I don't WANT to connect my TV viewing habits to a device which will datamine my viewing habits. Any device connected to the internet can be assumed to do that.

When will Roamia go out of business and end their TV guide service? Or are they using some other "free" service and bafflegabbing about being "free?" And its not free - they are datamining their users.

snip
2) The software on the PC can go out every day and get a solid set of schedules for your geography from "schedules direct" (a non-profit), but it's not free ($25/yr). The software does not use OTA program guides because, as you noted, they are pretty much useless.
snip

The problems you're having with lack of good schedule data is just the nature of the OTA programming guide beast. That's why quite a few solutions use "SchedulesDirect" data. In fact, if you want a list of applications that do what you want to do, you could look at the list of programs that use SchedulesDirect data.

SchedulesDirect seems to limit your data to one FCC defined local region. But the whole point of having a big ass antenna on the roof is to aim it far far away!

Schedules Direct FAQ
What is a "geographic region"?
Generally you should only need to use your own postal/zip code to receive listings, but we do recognize that sometimes a channel which you receive over-the-air in an antenna setup is not listed under your postal code or your cable listings are more accurately reflected by another postal code in your cable provider's service area. We make some allowances for this in our fraud detection, but we would like you to inform us of any inaccuracies in the data and we do need you to update your account information when you move in a timely manner to avoid interruption of service.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom