Plex & Synology NAS users - Give me your thoughts

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
At your suggestion, I replaced my old NAS with a nice Synology DS718+. More TB "than Carter has liver pills". Mirrored RAID. Extra RAM. Yes, I back it up, offsite.

I have used some of the Synology channels, apps, programs. No! They are packages. Here are my thoughts:
1) Setting up certificates was not easy. I eventually got it.
2) Using Cloud Station Backup for backing up laptop. I originally started backing up the main User folder. Well this has thousands of cryptic PC files that keep changing. And the default was to load every time the PC started. So, it wanted to backup way too much. Now, I have it on manually backing up select folders under the main User. All is good.
3) DW backs up the photos on her Android phone using DS File - DS File has an option to "back up photos". It works but occasionally, DS File and Cloud Station Backup give an error message about the certificate. This error is fixed by re-entering the password to the NAS. No! I have not changed the password. It appears that these packages just lose the password every so often.
4) I have 4 security cameras. Surveillance Station only works with 2 of them. I know that the free limit is 2, but before I bought 2 more licenses, I wanted to make sure that my cameras were compatible. Well, my D-link and
Foscam are not, but my Phylink's are. I know I could spend money, but...
5) Plex is a great program. I have way too much streaming stuff to ever rip movies to a NAS so I am using Plex for files, photos and music. DW is cleaning up our songs. She is using MP3Tag to bulk change metadata. Has had many breakthroughs. There is a learning curve associated with this whole process.
6) Getting Alexa to play playlists from Plex on NAS has been hit or miss. Seems to be solid today.
7) Plex does a real good job playing playlists on Android devices outside of my network.
8) Using Plex to do a slideshow on my big TV using Roku. Looks like you put all the photos you want to see in a folder then using Plex Roku channel select the shuffle button. No way to change the speed of shuffle. No way to slideshow in order. Am I wrong? I have not found an acceptable slideshow channel for Roku. DS Video (The Synology channel) only does video, not photos.
9) Other than movies, music, photos, and files what else should I be doing?

I know I could look up all of these on the Synology and Plex websites, but I figure, youse guys have more wisdom.

Wow, you are really taking advantage of all the Synology stuff. Impressive.

Re their backup, I discovered the same thing you did: Real-time backup of the whole machine sounds vary attractive, but it results in major network traffic and the disks on the NAS pounding away nearly continuously. My workaround was to go into the backup policy settings and turn off stuff that I didn't need to have backed up. This was pretty broad brush, so backing up my Thunderbird mail client date still involves a lot of tiny SQLite files that I don't care about. My "fix" when I get around to it, will be to ditch continuous backup and go to batch backup. I might even just use the Windoze backup tool.

Back
Top Bottom