Who wears a Watch

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The thread about who wears a wedding ring got me wanting to ask about wearing a watch.

I never have wore a watch in my life either. Not that I didn't need to know the time for schedules and all that but seems like vehicles, phones and every place you go has a clock or time shown some place. I never needed one and I sure don't now while not working any more.

I have had some time pieces but I disliked them hanging on the wrist.

I always have- can't break the habit! I feel naked without one. I own 2 expensive watches that I don't wear. Neither works and they're not worth much in that condition even though the one has an 18K gold mesh band. The one I wear is a Rolex, bought used 12 years ago.

Just out of habit I wear a watch while going out. A Movado from 6 years ago.

Have a couple just bought a $100 eco drive citizen when i broke my trusty timex.

I have some watches from way back in the day. Even then I didn’t wear them, but always had one inexpensive digital watch hanging on the handle of my briefcase. During important family events I “wear” my father’s pocket watch.

I used to when w@$king. I still do on special occasions maybe 2 times a year. We have His and Hers TT Rolex SubMariner (12 Years Old) and YauchtMaster (20 years Old). It was a nice status symbol when working, not to mention the fact it is a pretty nice watch to look at. I bought one of those auto winder things to keep them wound up, but the Rolexes are too heavy for it, so we just leave them in there waiting for the 2 times we use them.

Since my teens, I've always worn a watch.

Wear a watch 24/7. Carryover from 24 years of military life. I always wore a G-Shock. These days I have a couple of custom Bremont mechanical watches that I have been enjoying.

My fitbit charge2 doubles as a watch. When working, I used to wear a big mens style silver banded linked style watch, but more for decoration really (armor, like wonder woman bracelets!)

I always wore one, but quit cold turkey when I retired 17 years ago and never missed it.
Then the Apple Watch appeared, and I've worn it constantly for the last two years. DW likewise. We love them.

When I w*rked I was obsessed with a watch. Very uncomfortable without one one, despite w*rking on computers all day. Even before PCs it took typing "TSO T" to get the correct time.

The day I retired I took the watch off and haven't put it on in over 5 years.

I have not worn a watch at all during my adult life, other than for the odd day or two here and there, after which I took it off, realizing that I didn't need it. Before the advent of cell phones, I either had a pager with an integrated clock, or found that I rarely needed to know the time when away from work or the house. I knew that if I left the house at a certain time, I'd get to work with time to spare. The same principle was in effect when going to other places. If I was out and about and needed (or just wanted) to know the time, I'd simply ask someone else. Besides, it's a nice thing to have an excuse to talk to others.

Simply put, even before cellphones and other devices with integrated clocks existed, I found that a watch wasn't necessary.

I feel naked without one. I have a nice looking- goes with everything gold watch that is solar powered because I hate changing batteries. Sometimes I change it for an ironman on weekends or vacation. My husband has never worn one.

Only when traveling.

The last few years, I'm always wearing one. I got it for workouts (timex ironman: chrono & timer are great) but wear it all the time now. I find it more convenient than not. I don't want to dig out my smartphone, if I even have it. I'm often in the backcountry, so it's very good to have.

Last edited:
I work full time, but I do not wear a watch. If I need to know the time, I can check my phone, or my computer, or the clock on my phone on my desk, or look at the clocks hanging on the walls in my office suite, or while driving I can look at the clock on my dashboard, or at home I can look at the clocks on the microwave or the oven or the thermostat, or the clock on the nightstand. There have been a few times when I needed to know the time but I didn't have ready access to a clock, but for the most part I don't need a watch.

I wear one most everyday. I have a very humble collection of 7 functioning watches. I even customized (“modded” in the watch vernacular) one of my timexes. Once or twice a year, I swap out straps to adjust to occasions and seasons.

They’re are about five other watches I have my eye on, but they’re all either too large (>40mm) or too expensive. I’d rather RE by two to 8 months than get a mother-of-pearl, moonphase cheriout or an elegant jaeger lecoultre or a montblanc diver.

I have not wore a watch in years. I don't miss it. If one is willing to look around his surroundings a bit, there is usually a way to tell time in some way. A cell phone, a clock on the wall, radio,etc.

I used to have a watch, but lost it on a golf course about 12 years ago. Coincidentally, I got my first cell phone a week later and realized that it did the job and I no longer needed a watch. Add to that that there are now clocks everywhere...in my car, on the computer, on the stove, etc., and owning a watch makes no sense.

Back
Top Bottom