Global Entry appointments

Scrapr

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just filled out the online application for my trip to London-Paris in April. I see next available appointment at Portland is October .....2020! Surely that is a misprint.

Looks like LAX has some appointments in November of this year. Is there a work around on this? I am assuming that the website scheduling is not updated. Does just showing up & hoping for a cancellation work?

We had the same problem here in CT, with no appointments at Bradley until 2020, so we signed up at the Old Customs House at Bowling Green in NYC and were able to get right in this past summer. So maybe poke around on their website to find a place with a better schedule. We did, however, also receive several emails from ICE telling us that we could do our interview at the airport when we returned from overseas.

Consider applying for NEXUS instead. All the benefits of Global Entry plus more, at half the cost. You could choose from Blaine or Seattle in Washington, or even Vancouver for the interview.

Also keep checking back for cancellations. When i went in to reschdule i saw several new times (sooner) that werent originally available.

DW renewed hers a month or so before I did my renewal. I got scheduled for an interview on April 9. A couple of weeks later she got scheduled and found a January slot.

I have not double-checked but she found a notice that said once we are provisionally accepted our Global Entry privileges will not expire. So really, I have no urgency.

Supposedly they are extremely shorthanded because of the number of DHS folks deployed to take care of the flood of people from the south.

We did ours upon return from overseas. Took maybe 20 minutes for the two of us.

I was thinking this could work. Fly up to Vancouver BC. Layover & fly home. Walk into the office. The other option would be to fly to LAX on points & do it there. Or maybe Phoenix where my brother is wintering

edit: looks like Phoenix has all sorts of time in January-February. Can you say baseball trip? I knew you could :dance:

Last edited:
I guess I should not have been worried about GE in person appointments. First you need to get a Conditional Approval. Wait times are reported as 140 days. (4-5 months) But totally random people get in/out in a week or 2

We did ours upon return from overseas. Took maybe 20 minutes for the two of us.

This is what we did after our appts got cancelled due to redeployment of personnel to the southern border. Easy peasy, also no proof of residency was required.

This is what we did after our appts got cancelled due to redeployment of personnel to the southern border. Easy peasy, also no proof of residency was required.
I noticed a big sign for people wanting interviews just after passing through Global Entry in Newark.

We are able to use a nearby port of entry - Mexican border bridge - which doesn’t get a lot of GE traffic. They do more FAST interviews, but still was easy to get appointments. Hope that’s still true.

So the 5 year renewal requires interviews again?

Sometimes, but you can't predict it.
We renewed our NEXUS cards earlier this year and no interview was needed. Just the online renewal form. Got the new cards in about two weeks.

Last edited:
I just filled out the online application for my trip to London-Paris in April. I see next available appointment at Portland is October .....2020! Surely that is a misprint.

Looks like LAX has some appointments in November of this year. Is there a work around on this? I am assuming that the website scheduling is not updated. Does just showing up & hoping for a cancellation work?
Some airports like DFW, you can just walk in when you are coming back from any international trip. Check if your office allows that.

I was heading to Asia through SFO and I had a little time, so I went downstairs to the Global Entry office and put my name on the walk-in list. I would say it took 20 minutes of waiting time then 10 minutes more to actually meet with the inspector and renew my card.

Of course the waiting time is a little unpredicable but if you google Global Entry offices that allow walk-ins, that might work.

I appreciate this thread because it got me wondering how soon I had to renew my Global Entry. Well, this morning I found out that it expired a couple months ago.

Sooooo, I got on the Trusted Traveler website. Set up all the crap. Then went into the renewal process. That was a joy. Half hour later after adding and editing the info I got to the end. Paid the money. Then I look up at the top of the page and it says "due to the partial govt shutdown Global Entry applications could be delayed". Wasn't the shutdown at the first of the year?

Anyway, I'm waiting to see if I have to go in and renew it. The first one was easy because I did it very early in the program and just had to go to PDX for my interview. I had looked at Nexus and even though I was traveling to Canada I had to go across the border to interview.

So, we'll see what happens. One of the fun parts is that they ask you where you've traveled since you applied for the card the first time. Luckily they had a list of countries but it was a challenge to remember.

I appreciate this thread because it got me wondering how soon I had to renew my Global Entry. Well, this morning I found out that it expired a couple months ago.

Sooooo, I got on the Trusted Traveler website. Set up all the crap. Then went into the renewal process. That was a joy. Half hour later after adding and editing the info I got to the end. Paid the money. Then I look up at the top of the page and it says "due to the partial govt shutdown Global Entry applications could be delayed". Wasn't the shutdown at the first of the year?

Anyway, I'm waiting to see if I have to go in and renew it. The first one was easy because I did it very early in the program and just had to go to PDX for my interview. I had looked at Nexus and even though I was traveling to Canada I had to go across the border to interview.

So, we'll see what happens. One of the fun parts is that they ask you where you've traveled since you applied for the card the first time. Luckily they had a list of countries but it was a challenge to remember.

DH inadvertently let his GE lapse and he had to interview.

DH inadvertently let his GE lapse and he had to interview.
Both DW and I applied well before our GEs expired and both of us are still scheduled for interviews. From the DHS web site, it did not appear that renewals without interviews existed.

I have an appointment at PDX in July 2020 for my interview. However, I was able to do it at LAX this past Monday when I returned from an overseas trip. I'm going to cancel my PDX appointment later today, maybe you can grab it!

I have an appointment at PDX in July 2020 for my interview. However, I was able to do it at LAX this past Monday when I returned from an overseas trip. I'm going to cancel my PDX appointment later today, maybe you can grab it!

LOL...I wish. I'm traveling April 15 to London-Paris. I have options for the interview. In my perfect world i find a spot in PHX and go see some baseball. Or fly to Vancouver BC and walk in on my return.

But the hang up seems to be the Conditional Approval needed before scheduling an interview. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason on CA. Flyer talk has some being approved in a week and others take 5 months. I'll just keep checking back & hope for the best.

It's not the end of the world if I don't get GE for my trip. I'm flying Virgin Upper Class so will get some perks from that.

All that worrying for nothing. Approved last night! 3 business days

PHX has a couple dates for the interview next week. But I think I'm going to combine a February baseball trip down there. Wouldn't want to waste a nice flight down

Keep checking every day people cancel all the time and appointments open up. We've done Global entry for a family of 4 over the course of the last few months (had to wait on passport renewals for some of us), conditional approval took less than a week, I was able to get in within a few days, my wife moved her appointment 3 times, but ultimately was in within 30 days. When the kids passports finally arrived, there were "no appointments available" Within a few days I was able to secure appointment for them within 60 days.

Question - after the interview, providing you are approved, how long does it take before you are officially in the GE program? We have our interview on 12/26/19 and take an overseas trip on 1/14/20.

Question - after the interview, providing you are approved, how long does it take before you are officially in the GE program? We have our interview on 12/26/19 and take an overseas trip on 1/14/20.

It’s generally immediately after the interview. You are already conditionally approved and your KTN has been assigned. It takes a week or two to get the cards. But you don’t use them at airport passport control. You just need your passport and your fingerprints.

You want to enter your known traveler number into your airplane reservation as soon as you have it - right after the interview.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom