ER and Fishing

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi all,

I have gotten the idea that lots of ERs must also be fishermen. I don't think I am the type who would travel long distances to take a fishing vacation like some of us do, but I sure like fishing close to home. And I sure like eating the fish. I think someone-maybe Cut-Throat -mentioned a trip to Russia for Atlantic Salmon. If I didn't have to pay for it, I could sure get behind that one.

I plan to eat as many fish as I can, because unfortunately they will one day cost $30 a pound. I may also promote farmed fish, the vile tasting faux fish whose misbegotten popularity extends the time that I can afford to eat wild fish that I don't catch myself.

BTW, I think for me the most cost effective and fun way to stock up on rockfish is to put on my wet suit, and paddle along on my back along the kelp, dragging a hootchie or a spinner. I have a poly spool for the line. I haven't done much lately cause my kids don't live home anymore, and I feel like I want a companion in case I decide to have a heart attack or something. Maybe I'll get over this nonsense.

Mikey

I understand that there is a Moslem proverb to the effect that "Allah does not deduct from a man's years the time spent fishing."

So I suspect that Osama bin Laden has been doing a lot of fishing lately. He's one guy who really should ER, considering that he has a lot of money, is under a lot of stress, and is a damned nuisance to the civilized people of the world :mad:

I think Osama bin Laden probably is a fisherman.
I heard a couple of his henchmen were Yassir bin
Fishin and Muhammed el Bass.

John Galt

Yeah, Muhammed el Bass was one of the founders of the Bass-Turds Fishing Club.

Gosh Ted! Your posts used to be so esoteric.

John Galt

Hi Mikey:

Re: foul tasting farm fish. (Planters).

I used to feel that way about them until I got a great reciipe for making them eatable.

"Heat oven at 350, take an 18 by 18 piece of flakeboard, place the trout on board. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, dump the fish in the garbage, and eat the flakeboard. :D
Jarhead

The best farm fish is of course crawfish (mudbugs down here). the season is coming up. Purge in saltwater and boil with Zatarain's.

Of course - even after 25 yrs - still can't eat as fast as the locals.

I used to love to fish. So much that I studied fishery biology in college and worked in the field for several years. I have fished with fly rod, electrodes, gill nets fish traps, and stink bait. I have eaten smoked kokanee, grilled dorado, fresh trout wrapped in foil over a campfire, and baked carp. But no more. I've caught and eaten my lifetime limit. Perhaps a lesson never to allow your hobby to become your profession.

Yet I still love the study of fish ecology and preservation. Probably my most proud life achievement was a relocation project that removed a rare sub-species of trout from the "threatened species" list. And I got paid for it. There are many nice organizations like TU where volunteers can make a difference. Leisure and value added back can often be the same. And sometime it pays, too.

My 2004 fishing schedule is firming up for 2004 as I booked a Bahamas trip today!

Man Cut-Throat, is that about $20,000 worth of fishing? You must be Bill Gates in disguise. Perhaps you should post a disclaimer, "Don't try this at home, unless you are Cut-Throat or a Count". Wouldn't want some poor guy to cuss out his boss and book a trip bonefishing, only to discover that his SWR was FUBAR.

Mikey

Yeah, Cut-throat is a wild man, but cut him some slack
folks. You can't take it with you and besides, he is
spending it fishing :)
I do the same to some extent, just on a much smaller scale.

John Galt

Hello Cut-throat. Re. your trips, I'm a bit jealous but
of course I have my share of adventures also.

About first class flying, I remember that from long ago.
Nice! First I switched to coach and then quit flying
altogether. Now I see where "Dubya" has proposed
slashing AMTRAK's budget. It can't be a fit of
economy because he wants to throw money at every
other problem (real and imagined). Oh well, it's a good
thing that I enjoy driving.

John Galt

Fishing and eating fish are 2 completely different activities.  I know people that love to sport fish, but would not eat fish if you paid them!  
People often asked us if we fished while boating.

We didn't. We did better -- we made friends with fishermen. We frequently were given fresh cleaned fish, caught only hours earlier, and we didn't have to catch 'em or clean 'em!

Almost as good as having a next-door-neighbor with a swimming pool!

Dory36

Even better...some years ago when I had a small yacht and needed a dock to park it at, we visited one. He gave us one price for dropping us on the dock with all the pretty boats, but said there was a wait for it. Or, for a much smaller charge we could dock right now with 'them ugly lobster boats' because he had plenty of room over there.

I think you can see whats coming.

Like the time when I worked at Macdonalds and couldnt bear to even see, let alone eat, their food for many years, it was a good 3-4 years before I could eat a lobster again.

Somewhat like Dory -except no boat.

Out the kitchen window in 'season' can see up to six piers/night lights fishing and on the back deck - many more. Don't fish anymore but the first ten yrs here - were out on our pier 2-3 nights a week fishing and checking our crab traps. Now - free and take out - fully prepared of course.

Except for visiting friends and relatives - Dig out the boiling pot and put on a 'show/ritual' - ie like they saw in the movies.

Well, I like to catch 'em, and I like to eat 'em, just about
any fish prepared just about any way (wife says I'm a
"billygoat"). Some days if the fishing has been good
I will quit just because I don't want to clean any more.
That's usually when another fisherman will offer me
his catch. I usually take 'em cause I'm afraid they might
go to waste.

John Galt

In 1980, we had five fridges - beer(1),bait(1),seafood(2), and normal(1). Now we have one.

Same here. Often we have good luck and return to the dock with a dozen or more good sized fish. Do that a few days in a row and the freezers are all full. NOW WHAT? Find a buddy with a full liquor locker! Things have a way of evening themselves out!

Back
Top Bottom