glad that I was able to get one of my unemployed
friends hired to replace me, so my retirement actually
helped another family out!

I just turned 50, am single (except for a dog), own
my house (all paid up). I don't really budget (haven't
balanced my checkbook in years), but am naturally
frugal. I like to travel - have found guided hiking
trips are my current interest. So this year, it's two
trips - April to Tuscon and August to Scotland.

I've enjoyed lurking on this board - there are alot of
commonalities and encouragement to make the jump
and enjoy ER. I can't say I got much encouragement
from coworkers and friends, so it was nice to see
others who have done this. I think the biggest
difference I have found in my setup from others here
is that I actually do use a broker, as I have never been
that interested in investing. It is one thing I am willing to pay for.

Hello to eveyone!

Using a broker is different than using a fee-based financial adviser. Brokers are just salesmen, and their interests are rarely aligned with yours. Hire a good CFP with access to DFA funds. The funds are run by bright people, and since the advisor generally takes a fixed percentage of your assets, they have an incentive to grow your assets.

Oh, and welcome aboard! I decided to leave high tech a couple years ago when it looked like things were going to be flat for a while. Turns out the options I left behind would be worth a million bucks or so today, but I still think I made the right move.

Using a broker is different than using a fee-based financial adviser

I'll be staying with my broker, though he is more of a financial advisor, running his own group with a partner - I wanted to mention it as an alternative to doing it on your own. I actually am in fee-based managed accounts, so it is just a little higher than the operating costs and 12b charges of no-load mutual funds, but I feel that in the 25 years I have been with the same person, I have done well. I concentrated on the saving part. I do agree if I was starting now at a young age, that I probably would be able to set up my own plan and not worry too much. I have tried occasionally to study up, but just can't get interested. At least I am doing better than someone who would just park the money in CDs when you can't decide what to do.

As for high tech, I enjoyed the first 22 or so years, including the telecom bubble (which I managed to profit from), but after the latest downturn, I think I had enough.
I never managed to switch from hardware to software and the hardware jobs have gone the way of the mechanical engineers.

Just don't try to get a hotel room in Edinburgh!
The first ten days are in the highlands, with the tour provider handling the rooms. Then it's on to Edinburgh on our own - we did make a reservation at a B&B already. I'm hoping we won't need a car but can see lots just walking.

A car would be a definite no-no, especially in August. If the weather is even a patch on last summer, you should have a great time. I feel that it is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, but then I live here. :D

I never managed to switch from hardware to software and the hardware jobs have gone the way of the mechanical engineers.  

And the software jobs have gone to the Far East....

Back
Top Bottom