Predicted I-bond rates?

poocher

Dryer sheet wannabe
I have scoured and googled all the usual sources for predictions about both parts of the I-bond rates that are expected for the May 1-Nov 1 period, but found nothing at all. Has anyone read any predictions?

It shouldn't be too hard to predict. The monthly CPI numbers are available, so you just need to calculate the trailing 6-month inflation (currently about 1.2%, annualizes to 2.4%).

My guess is that the fixed rate is based on the trailing 6-month average of the 5-year TIPS, which would put it below 1%. In other words, I would buy the current issue rather than waiting for the new issue in May.

Ahem. I just checked the new i-bond rates. In case anyone doubted my predictive powers...

It shouldn't be too hard to predict.   The monthly CPI numbers are available, so you just need to calculate the trailing 6-month inflation (currently about 1.2%, annualizes to 2.4%).
The CPI increase turned out to be 1.19% (annualized to 2.38%).

My guess is that the fixed rate is based on the trailing 6-month average of the 5-year TIPS, which would put it below 1%.   In other words, I would buy the current issue rather than waiting for the new issue in May.
They dropped the fixed rate to 1%.

http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/com/comi0504.htm

Looks like you guys are both right.

Now get along or we'll make ya talk about mortgages. :eek:

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with anybody. I was just clearing my throat so everybody would look over here and witness my Amazing Powers of Prediction (TM).

FWIW, I wouldn't buy i-bonds at these rates either. Maybe in November after both real rates and inflation have gone through the roof (and remember, you heard it here first!).

If you made me take two mortgages, I'm afraid I'd be calling you something rather unpleasant ;)

Back
Top Bottom