Why did you choose that handle?

GTM

Recycles dryer sheets
Seems like alot of members use a first name or full name or initials (such as GTM) for their handle on this forum.

How about some of the more "different" handles.

How did you choose it?

'cus I wanna retire at 40.

I took an average of the ages my closest relatives lived until and I figure if I'm real lucky, I may live until 80. In reality, I'm doing some semi-ER years now in my mid 30s and will continue probably until my mid 40s when I may consider full retirement. There are so many other things to do in life than to spend your life working for money.

Most Navy nicknames are earned via liberty behavior and bestowed by shipmates, any of whom would instantly recognize me if they visited this forum.

Over three years & still waiting...

Given the signture line that TH puts at the bottom of each of his posts, I thought I had better answer this one.

I first posted to Motley Fool. I was looking for something that related in some way to the fool concept of a court jester being the only one who can tell the truth to the king (that was the idea behind the name for the Motley Fool site, that only they were able to tell it straight re money questions because they were not "professionals.") Another type that entertains the king is the court magician.

That got me looking for words relating to magic. I liked magic as a kid. And I see the work that I do (that we all do) re financial freedom as a sort of magic. We share ideas that have worked for us and thereby help lots of others achieve their life goals--that's indeed a form of magic. I wanted something short and when the word "*****" came to mind, I saw it as a plus that it could actually be someone's name. I can imagine someone having an Uncle *****.

People have read all sorts of other things into it since I reported to the community what William Bernstein says re SWRs. People do things like that on discussion boards from time to time, don't they?

My surname begins with a "Z".

Think Bob Dylan. :D

"Zipper" has been my nickname for as long as I can remember.

Total Ayn Rand aficionado. Confirmed Objectivist.
Have used John Galt in my e-mail address and on other
sites as long as I've had a computer. Sometimes, I even lapse into its use in other venues.

JG

Just behind my computer in a frame is a picture of an Eagle. 1943 is year of birth. I thought, why not?

Total Ayn Rand aficionado.  Confirmed Objectivist.
Have used John Galt in my e-mail address and on other
sites as long as I've had a computer.  Sometimes, I even lapse into its use in other venues.

JG
Ayn Rand would have been 100 years old this month.

Here's a quote from the fictional John Galt in Atlas Shrugged: "Morality, to you, is a phantom scarecrow made of duty, of boredom, of punishment, of pain, a cross-breed between the first schoolteacher of your past and the tax collector of your present, a scarecrow standing in a barren field, waving a stick to chase away your pleasures - and pleasure, to you is a liquor-soggy brain, a mindless slut, the stupor of a moron who stakes his cash on some animal's race, since pleasure cannot be moral."

This comes from John Galt's famous speech which runs 60 pages. When she was asked to reduce the book, she said: "Would you cut the Bible?"

Brat is a play on my Norwegian sir-name. My sorority sisters shortened it for the message board, hence the handle.

Because I do not suffer fools lightly, my coworkers thought that I was grumpy. Now that I am retired I still have a tendency to be critical of a lot of things so I am still....

Grumpy

It was a tossup between approaching50, notquite50, justsouthof50, onebrickshyof50, etc. etc.

50, of course, being my IQ.

Nerd alert...

Where I used to work, we started calling each other by our UNIX logons, and it kinda stuck. Even to this day, some of them STILL call me (in person) by my logon name.

BUM is short for beachbum which is to much typing for me. My favorite place to be is by-the-sea. Home away from home is along Pleasure Is., NC.

BUM 8)

Hello Eagle 43. Yes, her birthday was Feb. 2. We
honored her with a toast.

The book is quite lengthy, as is the speech. You may know that The Library of Congress and Book of the Month Club pronounced 'Atlas Shrugged' the most
influential book ever written, after the Bible. I assume
they meant in the USA.

JG

BUM is short for beachbum which is to much typing for me. My favorite place to be is by-the-sea. Home away from home is along Pleasure Is., NC.

BUM  8)

Hmmm..... :D

Beachbumz

I am an avid homebrewer and nationally certified beer judge. Hence the handle.

I am an avid homebrewer and nationally certified beer judge.  Hence the handle.

Wow, how does one get that job? If I could be a beer judge, I may come out of retirement! :eek:

Beachbumz

In latin -
Hyper = beyond
Borea = the North wind

As a Canuck in the US this seemed an apt pseudonym.

Wow, how does one get that job? If I could be a beer judge, I may come out of retirement!  :eek:

Beachbumz

Unfortunately, it isn't paid work. However, it is a fun hobby that I haven't had the time to sufficiently indulge lately. Check out www.bjcp.org for more info.

Well, I'm a Flip (born and raised in the Philippines).

I also tend to get silly or have a silly sense of humor. I usually keep that silliness hidden behind a reserved and shy front. Not everyone appreciates silliness, especially at work. Even I don't like it when I think the occasion is a serious one.

Unfortunately, it isn't paid work.  However, it is a fun hobby that I haven't had the time to sufficiently indulge lately.  Check out www.bjcp.org for more info.

Thanks Brewer, I figured it didn't pay much :p, that would be too good to be true! I'm still gonna check it out, as I don't need the pay, but I do like beer. 8)

Beachbumz

Bow-ties are a nickname for Chevrolets (Chivvies)... :D

Given the signture line that TH puts at the bottom of each of his posts, I thought I had better answer this one.

Honk, honk, honk, honkity honk. Kayak, kayak, kayak.

No need to work so hard...I already had you covered and your handle is most appropriate.

Nothing exotic here, just my cats initials...

TH Nothing exotic here said:
About the same here TH.
Shredder was my best friend, backpacking companion, house hold comedian, and now is in doggy heaven. So I honor his memory with my username...Shredder

Back
Top Bottom