Negative Monday - I don't think I got the job

cube_rat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well, today marks two full weeks after my 2nd interview with Mega University. I haven't heard back, however I noticed the job posting is no longer on their web-site. This leads me to believe they've made a decision and it wasn't me. :-\

Oh well, I need to pick myself up and move on...

Sorry that it didn't work out cube-rat....

Don't you have another possibility in the company where you work now? Maybe that's the right move at this time, and something else will come out of this experience.....Good luck, hope something good pops up.

You can email the person who interviewed you and ask politely if they have reach the decision yet.

KB said:
Sorry that it didn't work out cube-rat....

Don't you have another possibility in the company where you work now?  Maybe that's the right move at this time, and something else will come out of this experience.....Good luck, hope something good pops up.

Thanks, KB

Actually, there's a possibility of taking on more responsibility in PeopleSoft/Oracle support role.  I would not be compensated for the increase in responsibilities but the PeopleSoft/Oracle knowledge can translate to bigger $$ in the future.  

It's really not the money nor the job duties that are driving me to look elsewhere.  I can even tolerate the cube farm even though I've b$%ched about them in past posts.  It's the politics, it's the "too many chiefs" running around and having to answer to them (think the movie Office Space) and the poor decisions and executions on costly ERP implementations, etc  :p

cube_rat said:
Well, today marks two full weeks after my 2nd interview with Mega University.  I haven't heard back,:-\
CR
Don't rollup just yet.  Two weeks in University time is the equivalent of two days or less in private sector.  For all you know the decision makers took vacation till after Thanksgiving.
Good advise to drop an email to your contact to reaffirm your interest and ask for an update on the process as you are being asked to take on a new role at your current employer.
Nothing to loose at this stage
Good Hunting!
nwsteve

Taking the posting down only indicates that they have all the applicants they need, it doen't mean that they have offered the job to another.

Brat said:
Taking the posting down only indicates that they have all the applicants they need, it doen't mean that they have offered the job to another. 
I wouldn't give up based on no response. Universities often move slowly. The advice to send a polite inquiry makes a lot of sense. Even if you were not the #1 choice, they probably haven't actually got an acceptance to an offer yet. You could put your resume at the top of the stack by sending an inquiry. Also, even if the job is gone, there may be another one in the near future. Getting your ideal job is partly based on qualifications, but partly based on luck and timing. Keep your resume on top of the stack and you increase your odds. ;)

Cube-Rat,

Don't get down quite yet. The gears of hiring grind at a slow pace. Also, consider it is a short week for most places with the holiday and people take extended time off. I would strongly agree to send a follow up letter thanking them for the interview and restating why you would be the best person for the job.

I know when I get these letters I usually go back and re-read my interview notes to see if I agree or not. If I don't get a letter, I start to think the person is just "fishing" and is not that serious about my job or the company. It has become standard practice in most places.

You can't lose by doing it. And you get your name in front of the hiring manager again. Sending a letter to HR is nice, but the hiring manager is the one you really have to impress.

Good Luck and keep your hopes up. ;)

I second the prevailing wisdom already posted. It took my company almost a month to formally offer me my new job, and that's with an internal! The boss made his decision quickly, then HR took forever to do their salary survey, offer letter, etc. Too soon to give up hope!

Laurence said:
I second the prevailing wisdom already posted.  It took my company almost a month to formally offer me my new job, and that's with an internal!  The boss made his decision quickly, then HR took forever to do their salary survey, offer letter, etc. Too soon to give up hope!

For external candidates, the process has takes us more than 4 weeks at times. Backround checks are the first thing to be done. An offer can only be made after this is done. I have seen just this take 3-4 weeks; depending on the time of year since educational checks are required. School offices may not operate year round so it can take some time to get verification of attendence and graduation. As Brat said, even if it is not posted anymore, it could mean that they had enough applicants there were qualified to do their initial pass and interviews. Only after they exhaust all of these and find no final candidates would they re-post it. It is actually a good sign and not at bad one.

Often an applicant pool is used for subsequent openings.

Send a letter per Steve's recommendation. Keep going forward with internal opportunities not because the U job didn't materialize but because you want to maximize all posibilities.

I work for a university. When I called (twice) they told me I was the "candidate of choice", but it took them 6 weeks to make an offer. And holiday time is very slow. Don't give up!

Here's another vote not to give up. My university takes forever in hiring.

Thanks everyone!

I did leave a VM message with the hiring manager. No call back or rejection letter. I guess that's a good sign. :)

I am in the ball park and have not heard from the potential employee for a week and 4 days. Let's keep our fingers crossed. The worst thing it could happen is a rejection. Life continues.

Spanky said:
I am in the ball park and have not heard from the potential employee for a week and 4 days. Let's keep our fingers crossed. The worst thing it could happen is a rejection. Life continues.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

Back
Top Bottom