Photos from St. Louis Trip

T

TromboneAl

These photos were meant just for family but, aw shucks, you guys are like family too. So be prepared to be bored with slides from our vacation:

Our Trip to St. Louis

Great pictures Al.

I gather you had a great time visiting your daughter. How high up is that arch? What a ride that must be to the top.

It's 630 feet up. The ride up takes 4 minutes and is interesting because the pods have to rotate periodically, unlike an elevator.

TromboneAl said:
It's 630 feet up.  The ride up takes 4 minutes and is interesting because the pods have to rotate periodically, unlike an elevator. 

Holy cow, how large is that pod anyways? Claustrophobics need not apply I'm guessing...

Marshac,

I was thinking the same thing, the top of the arch will be one place I never see. Pictures will be as close as I get.

Great shots. The dorm room pics are my favorite :D. Reminds me of how my 15 yr old keeps her room.

Great shots, looks like a good time was had by all. I don't know about the pod ride, I'd probably have to do that one by myself...dh doesn't do confined areas like that.

Great pictures Al. You have a wonderful family and your daughter is really cute! I have been to the top of the Arch and I could not believe it when my turn came to get into the pod-I first thought it was a joke! I was in with a father and his kids and his son kept asking him if he was going to throw up. I get sick when I see someone else throwing up, so I kept praying that he did not. Luckily, we made it to the top without that experience! Aslo, your daughter's room reminds me of my 17 yr old daughter's room also. (That looks so weird-17 yrs old-she just had a birthday last week and I cant' believe that my "baby" is 17 yrs old!

Dreamer

thanks for sharing, Al. Looks like you had a great time. I remember going up in the arch when I was probably 17 or so. Don't think I could do it today :eek: but it's a great memory.

Judy

Dreamer said:
Great pictures Al.  You have a wonderful family and your daughter is really cute!  I have been to the top of the Arch and I could not believe it when my turn came to get into the pod-I first thought it was a joke!  I was in with a father and his kids and his son kept asking him if he was going to throw up.  I get sick when I see someone else throwing up, so I kept praying that he did not.  Luckily, we made it to the top without that experience!  Aslo, your daughter's room reminds me of my 17 yr old daughter's room also.  (That looks so weird-17 yrs old-she just had a birthday last week and I cant' believe that my "baby" is 17 yrs old!

Dreamer

I never got up (there's a fat one over the plate for you jokers) :)..................although I've been to St. Louis a 100 times at least. Most of the places I traveled pre-ER, I only saw airports, hotels, offices, train stations, bars,
taxis, etc. Back to St. Louis, maybe I never went up as I have always
been an arch-conservative.

Hey Dreamer...............my "baby" is 40. I can't believe it either :)

JG

Looks like you had a fun trip!

Love the dorm room scenes - like I always say, when space is at a premium, go for the fluorescent inflatable palm tree - it's multifunctional.

MRGALT2U said:
I never got up (there's a fat one over the plate for you jokers)  :)........

Don't fret JG, there's lots of  ways to get help. In fact, the arch is probably the least efficient.  :D

JPatrick said:
Don't fret JG, there's lots of ways to get help. In fact, the arch is probably the least efficient. :D

Yeah, but if you were in JG's shoes you might be looking for some arch support. :) Jarhead recommends wheat bread....

REWahoo! said:
Yeah, but if you were in JG's shoes you might be looking for some arch support. :) 
Well no,,I believe it's the arch he is trying to eliminate.  :-\
Or maybe we are treating different problems  :confused:

Hey Al - sorry I missed your post about St. Louis....although I've lived here all my life, I haven't really ventured out to see all of the great local places that make us unique (other than the Arch, brewery tour, etc.)...if anyone's in the neighborhood before April 7, 2006, feel free to look me up for a tour of the new Bush Stadium before it officially opens for opening day (unless I completely lose my sanity and patience before the job finishes up :crazy: )

Here's a question for you, Peter: How come you guys need three stadiums (baseball, hockey, football)? Couldn't you have one or two, and schedule the games better??

We walked past the old Busch stadium at night on our way to BB's. They sure are working fast on the demolishing.

TromboneAl said:
Here's a question for you, Peter: How come you guys need three stadiums (baseball, hockey, football)? Couldn't you have one or two, and schedule the games better??

LOL....well, Al, the same question could be asked of virtually anything in our society...# of bathrooms in a house, # of cars, # of this or that. :)

Of course, the severe make-do-with-what-you-have in me would have thought they could share a football/baseball facility...and they in fact used to do that with Busch Stadium before the Cardinals flew South one last time to Phoenix...however, you know how it is with politicians wanting to spend money and greedy sports team owners wanting to get a favorable lease rate on facilities.

As far as hockey goes, the venue must be much, much, much smaller than what a Football facility would hold..or else it's just a lot of wasted space. Also, while I'm not claiming to know for sure, I assume that you need to keep the air colder to keep the ice cold, which would cost more...plus not too many people want to freeze their a** off in an enclosed facility to watch football. :) I remember going to a St. Louis Steamers professional soccer game at the old Kiel Center (where the Blues hockey team played) for a birthday party back when they were around, and I will never forget how cold the place was.

TromboneAl said:
We walked past the old Busch stadium at night on our way to BB's. They sure are working fast on the demolishing.

The demo is going a little bit faster than planned...although it's not like they give any of us subcontractors a break. Sigh....this project has created so much stress, aggrivation, and complete/utter disbelief that it's the perfect incentive to crave Early Retirement like nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom