Seize the day

Ed_The_Gypsy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Another reminder about mortality.

Ken Luboff retired (early, he said) from John Muir Publications (?) in 1994 and he and his wife Barbara moved to Mexico. They so enjoyed the experience that he wrote a book, "Live Well in Mexico". I bought the book and enjoyed it.

(He subsequently re-issued virtually the same book word-for-word as "Adapter Kit: Mexico". I bought it, too, thinking it was new material. There were very few changes but better pictures, so OK, but I was steamed for a while.)

Hot off the press now comes his "Living Abroad in Mexco". Most of the same content, but updated, so bought it again (knew what I was doing this time). Good book. Recommended, by the way.

In About The Author, we learn that Ken died in 2005, shortly after finishing the book. "They lived in Mexico for more than ten years and loved every minute of it."

Life is short. Move to Mexico while you can. (I can't right now. :( :( :( )

El Gitano

Ed, you habla espanol? If so, how did you learn enough to be able to contemplate living in MX?

Even if I stay in the US for the rest of my life, I feel the need to learn Spanish. Gotta figure out time and method at some point.

What I've yet to understand is how the Mexicans seem to know English so quickly. After they've been in the US a year, they got it mastered pretty much.

Yet on elevators they revert to Spanish. Go figure.

brewer12345 said:
Ed, you habla espanol?  If so, how did you learn enough to be able to contemplate living in MX?

Even if I stay in the US for the rest of my life, I feel the need to learn Spanish.  Gotta figure out time and method at some point.

i've heard the best way to learn a new language is to move to that country and immerse yourself in it. have you considered a stop-over in miami?

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
(He subsequently re-issued virtually the same book word-for-word as "Adapter Kit: Mexico".  I bought it, too, thinking it was new material.  There were very few changes but better pictures, so OK, but I was steamed for a while.)

Hot off the press now comes his "Living Abroad in Mexco".  Most of the same content, but updated, so bought it again (knew what I was doing this time).  Good book.  Recommended, by the way.

Ed,

I've read his second book, Adapter kit:  Mexico.  I'm curious about the new updated book.  In your opinion, is the update significant enough to justify buying the new book?

Thanks,
Sam

i've heard the best way to learn a new language is to move to that country and immerse yourself in it. have you considered a stop-over in miami?

For me that is the way I learned spanish. Although I was born in Panama, I left when I was 5 and my mom didn't speak spanish in the house although she is fluent. I've been back for about 6 months and my spanish is good enough to get around town and into more trouble than I care to admit. I could have reached my current level of the profiency sooner but it's really convenient to just say, "Mom! How do you say ......" Instead muddling through it like the rest of expats here.

Now if I can just learn as many words as my 3 year old I'll be alright. ::)

I've heard the best way to learn the language of a country is to eat the food of that country. So I'd recommend plenty of mexican take out and Taco Bell!

justin said:
I've heard the best way to learn the language of a country is to eat the food of that country. So I'd recommend plenty of mexican take out and Taco Bell!
:LOL:

Brewer,

Ed, you habla espanol?
Only a little today. One idea is to go down for an extended stay sometime and go to an immersion language school or one with a home-stay arrangement (I agree with lg4nb), then see how things go. I think that extended stays, say three months at a time, for education and exploration would be the first step.

I have been reading about living/retiring in Mexico for many years and talked with folks who have lived there or live there now. We have friends and family who have spent time in Mexico and also have family of Mexican descent. I haunt several expat boards for Mexico and have corresponded with folks there. I met some when we visited Mazatlan a couple of years ago.

I am most interested in Mazatlan (where one can get by without very much Spanish for a long time), Guadalajara, Tepic, Zacatecas and Xalapa (where you need Spanish), for various reasons. I have stayed in many parts of the world and have no doubt that I could be quite happy many places in Mexico or other parts of Latin America--the problem is finding one where my wife would be happy, too. If one does one's homework, it is surprisingly easy to make the transition. It takes planning and taking it one step at a time. Lots of stuff on the internet and lots of good books on the subject, including Ken Luboff's book(s).

Sam,

I've read his second book, Adapter kit: Mexico. I'm curious about the new updated book. In your opinion, is the update significant enough to justify buying the new book?

Probably not.

I am waiting for Carl Franz and Lorena Havens to come out with their promised "People's Guide to Retiring in Mexico".

Ed

Re: Seize the day...update

Update:

Ken Luboff retired at 52, died ~11 years later at ~63. The poor SOB barely got to SS age. Lesson: RETIRE EARLY!

Sam asked,
In your opinion, is the update significant enough to justify buying the new book?

Sam, It looks like they updated some of the contacts, places to stay and restaurants. If you are interested in visiting soon, it may be worthwhile. It is only $18 US.

On the other hand, the binding on my copy is not real good. Some of my pages are falling out already and I haven't finshed reading it once.

Hmmm

My SO retired at 55 died at 69.

My old buddy Sam - USAF at 37, rocket plant at 56 - passed at 67.

Yep - get cracking.

heh heh heh heh

Yep, on Monday, the paper brought news of two deaths. People I worked with; one was only 60. He made VP of Mega-Corp and did retire in 2004. Can't spend that VP retirement loot now. Dare I say it? Carpe Diem.

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
I am waiting for Carl Franz and Lorena Havens to come out with their promised "People's Guide to Retiring in Mexico". 

Thanks Ed.  Please let me know what you think of this new book.

Sam

Back
Top Bottom