Cell phone + prepaid plan help

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
My son, who lives abroad, is coming to visit, and will be here for one month. While they are here he’ll need a smartphone and prepaid voice and data plan. He thinks 10GB of data is enough, along with voice and text. He’ll probably want to keep the phone and bring it back with him, but that’s not certain. I’d like to keep the cost of the phone to $100.

I’ve looked over past threads but don’t see any that look at short term needs in the US and am looking for suggestions for phone, carrier and data plan.

As for the phone, do you have an old one you can loan him ?

<edit> Why can't he just bring his cell phone and change the sim ?
That's what I was thinking. My current cell phone is 2.5 years old :)eek:) and it is eSIM capable. Unlike most countries, we have both CDMA and GSM networks here, so compatibility is not likely an issue.

But assuming you've thought of that, I'd say look for a used phone. OnePlus is a decent second-tier brand, IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses.

He has a work smartphone phone and they don’t want him swapping the sim. I have an old iPhone which I use as an iPod but it freezes easily and frequently and isn’t reliable for mobile data use, like GPS, crashing regularly.

The Samsung / Tracfone options look interesting. BestBuy also has a Moto G at around the same price. I have no experience with Boost or Tracfone but they both have voice / data plans. Tracfone has plenty of mentions here, which I value. There does seem to be customer service issues, but I suspect this is common among prepaid plans.

I switched from Tracfone to Consumer Cellular (CC) a few years back and when needing some customer service, Tracfone was horrible (pretty much lied to me about sending a replacement, then saying they never saw the request after I waited weeks and inquired). Consumer Cellular on the other hand I've found has outstanding service.

Not sure though if CC offers a prepaid option. Plus, don't believe they offer international calling (Tracfone does on the prepaid minutes). As for the need for data during son's visit, how much will son be using the in house wifi vs own data? If house wifi, that would drop the data plan usage a lot, I'd think. Unless if on Tracfone, does their clock tick anyhow no matter if have wifi or not? May be the case.

With my CC lowest plan for about $25/month, has unlimited calling and text, and a small amount of data that I rarely exceed since I mostly use the home wifi. Should I exceed, with CC, they automatically bump me up to the next higher plan but I can then change back to a lower plan anytime I like for free.

Last edited:
I forgot to update this thread. We went with Tracfone, got a Samsung Galaxy A03s for $90 including 1 month unlimited talk and 4GB of data. It worked perfectly, he used most of the data. He plans on giving the phone to his son so it worked out very well.

... Tracfone has plenty of mentions here, which I value. There does seem to be customer service issues, but I suspect this is common among prepaid plans.
I have used Tracfone for years now, with zero problems, until recently. For the past two years I have signed up for their $199 (some $228 total with taxes and fees) one year unlimited minutes/texts and 24GB (any un-used GB carry over if the plan is renewed).

I emphasized no problems "until recently." When I recently renewed my one year plan, my phone stopped working -- no calls nor texts, and wifi wasn't working. So I contacted customer service online at their main website via my laptop (I have a Tracfone online account) and they guided me on how to reactivate my phone. Had it working again in about 15 minutes. Customer service was a breeze; no issues here for me. I give them 5 stars!

I forgot to update this thread. We went with Tracfone, got a Samsung Galaxy A03s for $90 including 1 month unlimited talk and 4GB of data. It worked perfectly, he used most of the data. He plans on giving the phone to his son so it worked out very well.

Be aware that some Tracfones do not actually have a sim you can replace... mine does not... not sure what I have but kinda the same deal but mine was $45 a few years back... only got 1 GB though...

BTW, I have had this phone as my DD and DW are now on their 3rd Apple phone...

Back
Top Bottom