Getting A Paper Paper?

Getting A Paper Paper?

• Yes

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • No

Votes: 25 47.2%

• Total voters
Re: Still Getting A Paper Paper?

Do people under 40 even read newspapers? I'm 33 and never had a subscription or bought one at the store. Too many free sources online that are more convenient.

Re: Still Getting A Paper Paper?

I still get the paper but only for DH, I read all my news online and usually know it before he does. Thankfully there are still pages of coupons in the Sunday paper to off set the cost.

Never bought one ever. Online news sources dominate.

Trying hard NOT to re-subscribe after getting the local paper for maybe 20 years (wherever local happened to be at the moment). Been in our retirement location one month now and no subscribing yet.

The paper version is especially helpful for a year or so if you are new to an area. Reading online versions is not the same thing as being able to cut out 'valuable' pieces from time to time.

Three papers: Washington Post, New York Times, Financial Times... How old fashioned!

I can't really start my day without at least scanning the front page of each section of the Washington Post. I usually read it cover to cover in the afternoon. I grew up reading an evening paper (Philadelphia Bulletin) but I prefer the morning news (Wash. Post).

Grumpy

Gasp!  I can't imagine not getting the cents-off coupons in the Sunday paper!!   :)  :)  How else will I save money on those dryer sheets?  :confused:

Also, there's something very relaxing and theraputic about sitting down with the Sunday paper, comics, magazine section, etc.  I guess it's a symptom of age (though I'm "only" 51...) and just a lifelong habit. I only subscribe to the Sunday paper, though they bring it to me several other days for "free" - obviously to boost the readership numbers.

CJ

Yeah same here. We get the local rag, which is absolutely worthless for news, but there are 2fer coupons for half the restaurants in town in it every day.

Otherwise the majority of it makes a trip in from the driveway to the table to the recycle bin.

I bring the WSJ and local paper mullet wrapper home from work after the bosses have read it.  But just for the comics, really.  And the horoscopes  :D
Sarah

Gosh!

What do U use for the bottom of the birdcage:confused:   :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

- Ron

I'd rather pay twice the price for things than pay for the local rag. They are a very racist paper.

cj said:
Gasp! I can't imagine not getting the cents-off coupons in the Sunday paper!! :) :) How else will I save money on those dryer sheets? :confused:
Also, there's something very relaxing and theraputic about sitting down with the Sunday paper, comics, magazine section, etc. I guess it's a symptom of age (though I'm "only" 51...) and just a lifelong habit. I only subscribe to the Sunday paper, though they bring it to me several other days for "free" - obviously to boost the readership numbers.
That pretty much describes us. By the time we get the Sunday paper I'm too busy with too many other things I want to do to waste time reading it. By the time I get Business Week I've read it online.

Spouse reads the open-house ads and the classifieds. As long as we have to recycle it I'll clip the coupons. Otherwise it's not worth the $1.50 /week to support their circulation numbers.

Big media seem befuddled that their readership is dying of old age (or of high bandwidth). The executives have their jobs because no one else wants them!

I'm still waiting for a functional wireless reader tablet like I've seen on Star Trek. As soon as I find one I'll be buying & borrowing books online, too!

Get the WSJ, which I read every day.

Don't get the local paper, but I often read it at work, along with the Mpls paper.

Our local paper delivers a coupon insert to everyone, whether or not they get the paper. So we get the coupons anyway.

every so often one of those neighborhood papers which are nothing more than advertisements with some print-to-fit "news" tries trashing free delivery to the front of my house. i'll give circulation two phone calls to stop it. after that i find their publisher's home address & sometimes phone number. it usually only takes one letter or call to their private residence to assure delivery of the offending garbage newspaper stops.

The online Minneapolis Star Tribune has coupons and the paper's ads available.

One benefit of not having a paper - less opportunities to plant any buying temptations in the family's head - helps the LBYM system.

Guess my age is showing because we take two papers, although one is only a weekly. We live in sort of a never-never land ::), in a rural area near San Antonio, just across the county line. DW likes getting the SA paper daily, but I would be happy with Sunday only.

Because we don’t live in the same county as SA, I take the local weekly paper to keep track of what’s happening in our county. Unlike the info in the SA paper, this information cannot be found online. (Like when the commissioners recently voted to reduce the minimum residential lot size in unincorporated areas of the county from 3 to 1.5 acres. :p)

I buy the LA Times at the newstand almost every day. If they had reliable home delivery here in SD I'd subscribe.

Nords said:
I'm still waiting for a functional wireless reader tablet like I've seen on Star Trek.  As soon as I find one I'll be buying & borrowing books online, too!

ah, a PADD. Yep, that would be cool. Suppose the closest thing is the Palm Pilot.

At one time,  the now-defunct Knight Ridder was working on an electronic hand-held newspaper  but, I'm guessing that's gone away for now...
BTW, since you mentioned e-books, I'll mention that the world e-book fair begins July 4. They're offering free downloads of 300,000 or more books.

As for newspapers, I still read one everyday, though I get a lot of news off the Web. I suspect however, that the day is coming when newspapers start charging for that Web content.

I refuse to give up my morning paper. Just wouldn't seem civilized without one. Also, as a practical matter, the news stories you can get on the web tend to be very short and lacking in detail, even from the same paper that I get in the morning. I don't feel like I have really gotten the whole story if I don't read the paper version.

Bpp

I take a daily paper and the local weekly paper.

That's how I start my morning; reading the paper while drinking coffee. Then I turn on the computer.

Back
Top Bottom