Ready, set, wait, go

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
I want to make sure I am thinking about this right, and see if my plan makes sense.

I figure that in 2-3 years (age 59 or 60) I will have enough saved to FIRE completely, but only if I wait until age 65. That is, I'll have enough that I don't need to save any more -- just let the big dogs run at a conservative 7% for another 5 years and by age 65 I am good to go (but not before that age at that yield).

Between age 60 and 65, I'd like to work part-time (maybe half-time to get health coverage, less if possible) to cover all living expenses for me and the DW (who will also be working part time). 0% SWR. I'll also start sweeping and occasionally contributing to my after-tax near-cash fund to try and end up with 5 years worth by age 65. Other than rebalancing, that's about it.

Got a little tricky to FIRECalc this since decreasing and increasing withdrawals to match the plan above makes inflation assumptions which don't fit quite right (guessing it's looking for lifelong changes, not temporary ones, and cancelling a decrease with an increase 5 yrs later get's a little screwy).

If the market tanks in my part-time stage, I'll just work a little more or decrease expenses; if it surges, I'll sweep out some cash and work less or FIRE sooner.

Anyone see any traps in this plan? It's really a Clyatt style deal but without any withdrawals during the 5 year phase-in. Don't wanna get to 65 and feel I still HAVE to work part time, but that's the usual risk.

"Retirus interruptus?"

Hey Doc, for most of us it would be a wet dream to be in your shoes. As I see it you have an ironclad fallback, as long as you have your health -loco tenens!  :)

So do what you want, and go and live joyously upon the earth.

Ha

HaHa said:
Hey Doc, for most of us it would be a wet dream to be in your shoes. As I see it you have an ironclad fallback, as long as you have your health -loco tenens! :)

So do what you want, and go and live joyously upon the earth.

OK ;)

Back
Top Bottom