Acummulation or Not?

OldAgePensioner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For those retired and not earning income, is your net worth really declining?

My portfolio (other than a glitch or two) has produced quite well from 1-May-2005 (retirement) till now. And that is during a periond of gving $60K to family, lots of moving expense, and high rental costs. I'm up $250k from last May.

I just got a letter from Harris Corp where I worked early eighties and I start getting a check from them on my 60th b-day for $348/month and inflation adjuted yearly. I get SS of $1580 starting at 62, and it just seems like worth is going up not down.

Has anyone been retired long enough to know if you assets really did shrink during retirement.

OAP

I remember last June or so you said you wanted to go back to work because your port was falling so fast. The other day you were upset about the stock market. Now your up 250K, did you rob a bank, hit the lotto.

I'm happy for your good fortune what ever your doing.

I remember last June or so you said you wanted to go back to work because your port was falling so fast. The other day you were upset about the stock market. Now your up 250K, did you rob a bank, hit the lotto.

come to think of it :bat:

OAP, glad you found your bottle of happy pills... ;)

Got any to spare? :p

My increase is May 1,2005 to June 1, 2006. Last couple of weeks may have robbed me blind.

In my IRA portfolio, 90% of my holdings are VTRIX, VPACX, VEURX, TBGVX, VGSIX and NAESX. Bought in June 2005. Had a very good year in that portfolio.

My accumulation is stock increase, $32,000 income from cashed out vacation and profit share.

But my next worth ain't going down. So is SWR real, are any of you seeing your net worth go down? Fair question?

OldAgePensioner said:
But my next worth ain't going down. So is SWR real, are any of you seeing your net worth go down? Fair question?

OAP - You have to keep in mind that SWR is 'Historical Worst Case' - Like 1930's Depression. - So I would expect your portfolio to go up recently. Stop thinking in 1 year terms and think in 30 year terms.

A portfolio that goes down in 1 year could be because of expense that occurs only every 8 years (New Car etc.)

C-T,
I guess that's my point. I'm asking has anyone on the baord been retired say 10 years and have evidence that a portfolio will sustain itself at 4% or 20% withdrawal.

I'm rather inclined to wonder if financial dealings are a bit different in 2006 than in 1906. And using data from 1906 may look great on a chart but distort the real picture.

OldAgePensioner said:
C-T,
I guess that's my point. I'm asking has anyone on the baord been retired say 10 years and have evidence that a portfolio will sustain itself at 4% or 20% withdrawal.

I'm rather inclined to wonder if financial dealings are a bit different in 2006 than in 1906. And using data from 1906 may look great on a chart but distort the real picture.

Anybody retired for 10 years would have had gains from 1996-2000 in the stock market. They would be way ahead in my estimation!

JUst run FireCalc and that will tell you how any portfoilo fared in any period you would like.

I was asking posters on the board, not FIRECALC!

If everyone was just exactly like that fine otherwise. FO

As a matter of fact I just decided to FO.

Back
Top Bottom