classic hi-end audio equip.

mathjak107

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone into the good ole classic stereo equipment?
I only started in the hobby in the 70's so my expeirences started then.Remember the origonal hafler pre-amp? how about the apt?
nelson pass and threshold?
AAAHHHHH THOSE OLD NAMES

Wow, nice work. Do those be tube-testing machines exist anymore (the kind at the old electronics stores)?

very nice.i have a pair of origonal quick silver mono amps.Although i retired my quad63/janis w1 system when we moved into our apartment from a house i still miss it.currently i have a 5 channel linn system with a linn sizmik sub.
  i was entertaining a pair of futtermans for a while from ny audio labs when they were around.

i even have my old audio research sp6b preamp.packed away in storage.
hp's favorite for many years ha ha ha

ill take a pic of the linn system over the weekend.I agree its overpriced for what linn gives you but it does look great as well as sound very very nice.My last system after the quads was the quck silvers with the infinity rs1b system.It was so problematic with those emit mid ranges having the foil constantly seperate from the mylar.
also had a set of pyramid speakers complete with sequerra t1 ribbons.

those k-horns you got were pretty good considering they were based on horns.so efficiant.

ct,

That's a great setup you have. Nice work on those amplifiers, they're gorgeous. How does one go about building those? Are they custom; based off a standard plan?

bet they heat the room real nice too.AAAHHHHH so romantic just sitting around the amp and making love to the glow of hungarian tubes.

i couldnt get a decent picture to come out of the linn as i have a big window behind the equipment so heres a link if you want to see what it looks like.Its basically a small receiver with a super high quality cd player built in.At 4,000 bucks it was overpriced but it does make alot nicer noise than other stuff i looked at in that price range..,,,,,,heck i got to pick any color i wanted ha ha ha.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/linndi.htm

Thanks for the link ct.

Is that 1.8w into 8ohms, or do you end up driving that into a lower impedance to get more power?

If someone wanted to build a tube amp a little more...ahem...cheaply, are there less expensive alternatives?

Sorry for the ignorant questions, but I'm not at all familiar with high end stuff.

ash said:
If someone wanted to build a tube amp a little more...ahem...cheaply, are there less expensive alternatives?
If you have to ask then you'll end up shopping at Circuit City.

A shipmate winces in pain at having to listen to any speaker system that doesn't cost at least five figures. He could hear the difference, but for the rest of us it was pearls before swine Circuit City.

Oddly enough I find myself telling my kid about the days when gargantuan room-filling speakers & amplifiers were considered a "good" thing. But I'm much more impressed at using today's tiny Boses (and Inagaddadavida) to break windows.

If you can get your hands on an old dynaco stereo 70 and clean it up using poyprop caps and changing the pots and tubes you can have a pretty decent cheap amp.To be honest i had a ny audio labs modified dynaco 70 which was pretty close to my quicksilver mono amps.

shall we go to turntables next? had some wild ones like the well tempered table,the origonal sota star,the bang and olfson with the lateral moving arm.Now im down to my rega planer 3 with rb300 arm.

Back
Top Bottom