things to do for nonxtians on xmas

lazygood4nothinbum

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
for years my cousin & i made tradition of going to www.miamimetrozoo.com on xmas day. no traffic on the way, hardly anyone there on arrival. a scattering of other nonxtian-types looking for something to do. this year i'm stuck dog sitting for my brother who's off on a ski vacation. and just when the zoo has a new giraffe feeding station. guess i'll either take puppy to the beach or maybe bark park will be open tomorrow. any other ideas?

lazygood4nothinbum said:
for years my cousin & i made tradition of going to www.miamimetrozoo.com on xmas day. no traffic on the way, hardly anyone there on arrival. a scattering of other nonxtian-types looking for something to do. this year i'm stuck dog sitting for my brother who's off on a ski vacation. and just when the zoo has a new giraffe feeding station. guess i'll either take puppy to the beach or maybe bark park will be open tomorrow. any other ideas?

I want to get some good chinese food tomorrow, this non xtrian is married to one, BUT I have her on my side, we will spend only a small time with her parents and family and then we are outta there.

I just ERd Friday and I think I would rather not spend the whole day with the family units. Heck I lived with my sister and brotherinlaw for the past 4 months also crashing at my fathers who is now deaf as they come, funny almost 80 and is just great to be around, But he is on a plane going out to califorina.

Oh well the beach idea with the puppy sounds great. I am a loner and could enjoy a 10 mile run a good book and some great music.

A good long walk on the beach, meet people get some good food xmas evening places will be open.

Enjoy.

We'll do our traditional Jewish Xmas - chinese food and a movie.

Grumpy

Took me a while to figure out what a "nonxtian" was.

Here's something nonxtian you could do: Get a tree and decorate it, and buy a lot of presents at the mall, open them on the 25th, and return some on the 26th. That's pretty nonxtian.

Hey, wait. That's what the Xtians do.

Just talked to my sis in California. Her SIL is Christian so they bought him a present and are cooking Christmas eve dinner for him and DD. He has no family in the US so they are trying to help him feel at home. Pretty sweet.

Martha said:
Just talked to my sis in California. Her SIL is Christian so they bought him a present and are cooking Christmas eve dinner for him and DD. He has no family in the US so they are trying to help him feel at home. Pretty sweet.

So, your sis' SIL is xtian and received dinner for him and DD? Nice xtian thing to do for a nonxtian, even if he is your sis' SIL.

Oy.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
So, your sis' SIL is xtian and received dinner for him and DD? Nice xtian thing to do for a nonxtian, even if he is your sis' SIL.

Oy.

Hey, new SIL, but U R right. NFK.

I realize this is too late for this year but consider going to a candle light service xmas eve. Larger denominations will frequently have elaborate musical presentations. I've been to some that are quite a concert in their own right. There aren't any guards on the door to keep you from leaving before the service actually starts but the music during the service can also be quite good. You don't have to believe in any of it to enjoy the free entertainment.

2B said:
I realize this is too late for this year but consider going to a candle light service xmas eve. Larger denominations will frequently have elaborate musical presentations. I've been to some that are quite a concert in their own right. There aren't any guards on the door to keep you from leaving before the service actually starts but the music during the service can also be quite good. You don't have to believe in any of it to enjoy the free entertainment.

2B,

When I was in high school several of me close friends were musicians. They took me with them to a local church on Christmas eve for midnight mass which included a spectacular performance of Handel's Messiah. I was undoubtedly the only Jew in the place. I still love to hear the Hallelujah chorus.

Grumpy

grumpy said:
2B,

When I was in high school several of me close friends were musicians. They took me with them to a local church on Christmas eve for midnight mass which included a spectacular performance of Handel's Messiah. I was undoubtedly the only Jew in the place. I still love to hear the Hallelujah chorus.

Grumpy

Western culture has an excellent musical tradition that happens to include several hundred years where all the "top hits" were xtian. Good music can be appreciated even by members of the tribe.

as much as i appreciate good music & good cheer and i really don't mean to start a religious war or to be a bah-humbug but rather just to bring up a point of view which i think might be shy to show itself, afraid of being quick to be stoned to death, i gotta tell ya that after 49 years of listening to singular-themed music and jingles piped into elevators, shopping centers, supermarkets, the gym, the radio, the television, you name it-it's there, one of the true benefits of er i'm looking foward to is spending all of november, december and january in some buddhist country like thailand where i'm hoping i'll have a moticum of repreive from rudolph so that i'll only have to deal with christmas in july sales here. but even on that note, sour, i'm certain, to many, i do whole-heartedly wish all christians a very merry xmas.

now if i could only find a place for lunch without piped-in music.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
now if i could only find a place for lunch without piped-in music.

I agree. Crap is crap and it get old quickly. You might be disappointed with Christmas in Asia. Many countries have discovered the "true" meaning of Christmas -- sell, sell, sell.....

You could do like I did this morning. Grab a bunch of snacks, and watch a good ol' Godzilla/Mothra movie!!! "Look Out!!! It's Godzirah!!!" :D

Come on--you don't have to be a xtian to enjoy xmas. It's a bloody solstice festival. Like most xtian holidays (Easter in particular), it was appropriated from the pagans in an attempt to coopt the "old ways." Even atheists like me can enjoy it without guilt or misgivings! I usually go skiing on Xmas day--usually not too crowded.

Since Christ was likely born in August in 4 BC, no need to get overly theological even if you are an unbeliever...it's a blasted holiday!

Back
Top Bottom