Long time, No See

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
Hi Everybody, sorry to be away so long. It's been a rough stretch here, some real adversity that makes you question a few things. But Christmas couldn't have come at a better time. For those who want to know, Tori is doing very happy and really enjoyed opening her presents, and DW's second pregnancy is going well - we'll be doing some tests in a couple of weeks to see if there is anything to worry about. For now, we are getting ready to head to our family's cabin in Big Bear and let Tori experience sledding for the first time! I'm taking two much needed weeks off work right now to try and get back to the land of the living. I hope everyone is doing well, and I'll check in more often now. :)

Hey man! It's great to hear from you and to know you and your family are OK. Sounds like you've been battling the work monster and have a few wounds that need to be seen to. ;)

Have a great vacation and stay in touch.

Nice to hear from you again. Sorry to hear about rough patches!

Enjoy your vacation and sorry things were/are a little rough for you and thanks for the Tori update, I'll bet she's going to love the snow. Post a pic if you have time.

Hi Laurence,

Great to hear from you and congratulations on your wife's pregnancy! I must have missed that news. I am sorry to hear of your rough stretch and hope that things improve for the new year!

Have a great 2 weeks and I would love to see pictures of Tori sled riding also!

Great to ahve you back. Sorry about the adversity, but I believe it makes one stronger...............

Take care and enjoy the time with family...........good luck on the upcoming addition also............... :D :D

Good to hear from you Laurence - I have been wondering how you are doing. I hope the time off is relaxing for you and the family. Take care of yourself, and check in once in a while!

FinanceDude said:
Sorry about the adversity, but I believe it makes one stronger

welcome back as well laurence.

sorry financedude but i don't buy into that adversity making us stronger stuff, though i suppose it's doesn't hurt to think we are benefiting from suffering unless, of course, you become attached to suffering so that you receive some perceived benefit. i'm pretty sure we could get stronger without all the adversity. think of an enjoyable & relaxing day at the gym.

my lazy motto is "life should be easier." and when it comes my time to face our maker, i certainly intend to speak my heart & mind about consideration of a major redesign, of life without pain, of a world without tears. i think everyday should be our first time gleefully sledding through drifts. i am totally jealous of tori on her upcoming adventure into snow.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
sorry financedude but i don't buy into that adversity making us stronger stuff, though i suppose it's doesn't hurt to think we are benefiting from suffering unless, of course, you become attached to suffering so that you receive some perceived benefit.

I've lived it so for me it's true. Go through some serious suffering in your life and all the sudden the mundane things in life seem like miracles and your appreciation for the good things in life grows. At the same time you find that the normal BS of life just doesn't bother you like it used to.

Hey, Laurence, good to hear from you. I spent the holidays in SD, visiting the DGFs parents. Good folks, but I don't even like my family enough to spend a whole week with them... ::)

Speaking of MIA, anyone heard from SteveR lately?

saluki9 said:
I've lived it so for me it's true. Go through some serious suffering in your life and all the sudden the mundane things in life seem like miracles and your appreciation for the good things in life grows. At the same time you find that the normal BS of life just doesn't bother you like it used to.

I'm not sure that adversity makes us stronger, per se, but at least in my case it made me stop whining and stressing about the small stuff and made me grateful for things I used to take for granted. Like, for example, walking.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
welcome back as well laurence.

sorry financedude but i don't buy into that adversity making us stronger stuff, though i suppose it's doesn't hurt to think we are benefiting from suffering unless, of course, you become attached to suffering so that you receive some perceived benefit. i'm pretty sure we could get stronger without all the adversity. think of an enjoyable & relaxing day at the gym.

my lazy motto is "life should be easier." and when it comes my time to face our maker, i certainly intend to speak my heart & mind about consideration of a major redesign, of life without pain, of a world without tears. i think everyday should be our first time gleefully sledding through drifts. i am totally jealous of tori on her upcoming adventure into snow.

Well, after losing BOTH my FIL AND my sister, I am using that analogy to keep a positive tone............ ;)

FinanceDude said:
Well, after losing BOTH my FIL AND my sister, I am using that analogy to keep a positive tone............ ;)

my sincere condolence, financedude. i also am no stranger to loss. but even while having inherited covetous early retirement, the only benefit i see gained from losing my mom was the end of her undeserved suffering.

but i always say “being miserable won’t make you any happier.” shantideva put it more eloquently: "if suffering can be corrected, then there's no need to be despondent. and if it cannot be remedied, there is no benefit even if one becomes unhappy."

so i applaud your positive outlook especially in your grief. it was not my intent to deny, rather, perhaps, to temper desire to attribute benefit to suffering. while we might utilize such benefit as an antidote from poisonous suffering, after the symptom of sadness, regret, what-have-you subsides, we might be better off withdrawing the antidote before dependency develops and the cure becomes just another poison.

simply put, suffering sucks. so why would we compound that by thinking we should feel so guilty about being happy in the wake or even, if we so muster, in the face of adversity that we pay tribute to that suffering for those perceived gains.

i’m not saying some don’t need to be smacked along the side of their head to wake up at some point of their lives. thing is, even after you’ve awoken, life still hits ya alongside the head. (what are those, pretty post-it notes?) so that’s not where the lesson is, even if that is the route some take to learn it. perhaps there is a more graceful way to access this body of information.

for as long as we incarnate into these emotional bodies, no matter how enlightened the being, if you love you will hurt in empathy and mourn in loss. we’re supposed to be satisfied with that?

Got a little deep here during my absense! Hey, here are some pics of Tori on Christmas day and up in the snow at the family cabin! She absolutely loved sledding, and wouldn't let us stop. She also is a bit of an adrenaline junkie, at age two she enjoys going faster than I do at 32! She loved opening presents, but liked mine best (cell phone) 16 wonderful days off, first day back at work, ugh.

http://picasaweb.google.com/willilr2001/ToriChristmasAndSledding2006

img_463540_0_671259cab5659a550dc0be5f8e2db56d.jpg

img_463540_1_70d9e748d1d462ff8d4c1a54fbd80a3a.jpg

img_463540_2_18df83db319f402582aefa408587e5e9.jpg

Great pictures Laurence, Tori looks like she's having a blast!!! As well as dad :)

The only problem was, she was livid if we stopped sledding, just heartbroken! We had to plan sledding for late morning so her hunger would kick in before Dad's exhaustion!

Laurence said:
The only problem was, she was livid if we stopped sledding, just heartbroken! We had to plan sledding for late morning so her hunger would kick in before Dad's exhaustion!

The ol' distraction tactic didn't work, t hen? That's usually our gambit. Failing that, an offer of a gummy bear usually does the trick.

brewer12345 said:
The ol' distraction tactic didn't work, t hen? That's usually our gambit. Failing that, an offer of a gummy bear usually does the trick.

Good point, we'll have a treat in the car awaiting her return from the hill next time!

How sweet! She looks like she was having a ball. Yep, bribery usually worked.

Laurence said:

oh those are great pictures! there is an old buddhist saying that in life there are a thousand blessings and a thousand sufferings (or something probably more eloquent than that) but even in the midst of hard times, if you look around there is something good too. pretty analogous to having kids - they make you very happy, and very tired/grumpy all at the same time!

a friend who worked at a daycare told me when i had my first turned into a toddler to do the minute warnings, 5 more minutes! then a few more before 1 more minute...it decreases the shock and dismay the little ones experience and enables them to transition and get their last giggle, slide, coloring in before it's time to move on...i do it all the time and it works (no negotiating).

however, i will say that i've seen parents say 5 more minutes, then let it go on for a half hour, or bend to constant pleas for another 5, and another - so if you are firm, it works, if not it won't!

good luck and happy sledding...

saluki9 said:

Just found this thread after being away for several months.

Laurence: Welcome back. Hope thiings settle down for you for a while.

I agree with the above quote. Serious life events have a way of making the daily BS melt away into nothingness.

BTW, thanks for the kind thoughts and concerns about my absence. I am back but on a much reduced scale. Too much going on and too little down time to be much of a contributor here.

Short version:
DW had back surger in June. Readmitted to hospital 2 days after discharge with uncontrollable pain.
June-August DW dealt with disabling pain and being incapacitated due to surgical problem that was not detected until early August.

August...had second surgery to remove 20 oz. of metal hardware from her spine. A screw was on her major leg nerve. No improvement after surgery. Surgeon says the problem is scare tissue from the two surgeries. There is no cure for this and no surgical option. Sorry about that and try to have a nice day!

Currently she lost her job due to not being able to return to work. She is on long term disability and will be forever. She lives on major pain meds and tries to get through each day.

My boss left in December. The GM left a month before that. Several key employees in my department have also left the company. Oh, and our regulatory agency walks in to do an audit..........while I am in the middle on one already from another agency. Nice!

ER is sure looking good right now.

Now where did I put that resignation letter?

SteveR said:
Now where did I put that resignation letter?

Steve, sounds like a miserable time for you. Here's wishing for better days.

Anything stopping you from FIREing? Sounds like you could use some time.

Back
Top Bottom