Shooting sports

Do you participate in any of the shooting sports?

• Hunting

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Practical/defense pistol

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Skeet/trap

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Metallic silouhette

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Rifle marksmanship

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Airgun marksmanship

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Overpaid professional athletes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 48.2%

• Total voters

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
The VT shooting thread got me wondering how many of us are participants in the shooting sports.

I personally shoot the first four, and sometimes wish I could shoot #7.

retiredbob: I had to vote no. I am just a plinker, not competitor.

I do work at a local gun club as an NRA certified range safety officer. I have to keep an eye on folks who shoot both competetively and for enjoyment. Sometimes we get some folks who've never handled a weapon before and we try to help them. Sometimes we get folks with their AK's and SKS's (which we call brass-kickers) and we have to really watch them. We also have folks who like to shoot tannerite (an explosive substance that takes a high-powered slug to ignite). Great fun to watch. Sometimes we get the machinegun folks (we have shoots about 4 times a year) shooting old cars, refrigerators, etc. Also great fun, but safety is a must.

I guess you can say I'm a gun person. Have been most of my life. I live in Florida and have my CCW. My carry choice is a H&K P2000 SK in an inside the waist band holster.

If you ever visit SW Florida, come on out to the Manatee Gun Club. We can shoot out to 1000 yards.

I've recently used a firearm (12 gauge) in my back yard to shoot one of these:

img_504839_0_87fb6ae6fdd21df86bf0fa89a5338904.jpg

How should I respond to your survey? :)

I reload .45 and kill stumps. Enjoy the mechanics of old clankers like the CZ-52.

Did you mean "Do we shoot overpaid professional athletes" or "Do we watch overpaid professional athletes that shoot up on streroids"?

I've been a target shooter and plinker since I was a kid. My dad was a gun collector and part owner of a gun club. He had a ton of guns that he sold over the years.

Now, I just keep a handgun for protection. Haven't shot it in years..and years.

And I have a couple of shot guns and 22s that I'm handing down to my boys once they are legal to own them.
None of the long guns are registered, they're older than the registration rules. Pistol is registered.

I do IDPA
http://www.idpa.com/

I used to reload but it wasn't time or cost effective.

I don't think owning three handguns makes me a gun nut.
.5 Kimber CDP II
Glock 26
Walther P22

I think one of the things that would help reduce gun accidents is more outdoor ranges. Indoor ranges tend to be unappealing. Even in Georgia outdoor ranges are difficult to find.

For me shooting is similar to golf in many respects - except it is louder.

Thankfully, I shoot straighter than I drive a golf ball...

"That shot sure had a nasty slice..."

I voted "no".

I used to love playing "Duck Hunt" on my daughter's Sega, back in the 1980's. Does that count? :LOL:

Personally I don't like guns or want a gun in my home, though I would defend to the (obviously rather quick) death your right to bear arms.

i learned archery & riflery as a kid. was pretty good. but the only time i touched either as an adult was to remove weapons from my mother's house. (the old'man had some guns & rifles in the back of a closet which i'm sure mom never touched.)

Don't own guns but don't have any objections to them except when people use them unsafely.

Given the American love for guns, I think that it would be impossible to get rid of them, any more than prohibition got rid of alcohol.

I shoot practical pistol with my 45 (ok, my many .45s) :-[

I also compete in ATA trap. This is a serious FIRE threatening hobby.

my wife and i are both avid hunters and shoot on a competitive pistol team.

just the hobbies for living in new york city.

...ladies and gentlemen, we interrupt this post to bring you an entirely tangential philosophical comment...

"Overpaid professional athletes"

I'm not that big into professional sports at this point in my life, so maybe I'm being heretical when I think of athletes more or less as entertainers.

In that light, however, I don't see them as overpaid if they put paying butts in those high-priced seats. Put another way, why don't we ever see people using the terms "overpaid professional actors" or "overpaid professional rock stars?"

... now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

paradiseken said:
retiredbob: I had to vote no. I am just a plinker, not competitor.

My carry choice is a H&K P2000 SK in an inside the waist band holster.

My son has a USP that he has shot for an incredible number of rounds. Still as tight as accurate as it was years ago.

Can I ask, do you use the DA only or the DA/SA? Also, what makes you prefer this gun to say a Glock?

Ha

I have a few guns i like to take to the local range

Taurus pt911 millenium edition 9mm

Hi-point 9mm assault rifle (yes, a 9m rifle...and darned accurate )

Maverick 12 guage (same as a mossberg)

Ruger 10/22 (cheapest byfar to shoot)

LOL, I never even thought to tell you what I shoot. Silly boy!

My current favorite carry/cmpetition pistol is a Sig P-229 in 40 S&W. It came in 357 Sig, but I'm a little silly (as I've already said) and think that REAL handgun stopping power starts at .4 and goes up from there.

The back-up is a Ruger SP-101 in 357 Mag. I carried that little revolver for the better part of ten years before it got relegated. 38's are ok out of it, but full blown mags can be a little punishing. Thank goodness for Hogue combat grips.

Rifle shooting is mostly limited to my Dad's old Mossberg model 42B, a 22 cal bolt action with great iron sights. I can drive tacks with that thing all day long. (Literally, great bet winner at the range.)

This year I just started trying to hit clays. The shotgun is a Mossberg 500, a 12 ga pump camoed for turkey hunting. Now I know why I didn't bring home any ducks that day I went duck hunting.

In PA public lands are REALLY dangerous during deer season. So I've taken to using a flintlock instead. Get my own hunting season, without a lot of competition, and besides I'm really out there for the walk anyway. Don't know enough about deer to find them on a regular basis. My flintlock is a custom made Jim Brown left-handed 50 caliber rifle. 1" groups at 50 yards shooting freehand. I once shot a cloverleaf at 50 yards from a bench with it.

And whenever I'm feeling froggy or need to prove my manhood I break out the Sako Model 29 (built in 1930) and shoot 7.62 x 54 Russian ammo at 200 - 500 yards. That rifle could easily have shot round for round with my sniper rifle in the Corps (a Remington 700 with a 1" heavy barrel).

i love my super redhawk in .44 mag. my wife has a sweet s&w 686 .357 magnum

Back
Top Bottom