Weekend Pics from Palmse Manor

Trek

Full time employment: Posting here.
"Palmse is first mentioned in a written document in 1287 when it was under the tutelage of Tallinn's St. Michael's nunnery. There were several owners afterwards. The Pahlens owned Palmse from 1677 to 1923. In the years 1923-1940 the Defence League owned the building. After WWII the mansion was used as a childrens summer camp. From 1972 to 2002 Lahemaa National Park administered the manor. Since 2002 the manor is managed by the Foundation of "Museums of Virumaa." All the buildings are under state protection as an architecturall monument.

The house that we see today originates from the rebuilding accomplished in 1782-1785. Palmse was the first manor in Estonia that was restored as a complex to give a full picture of a typical Baltic manorial estate."

This place is great and will go on my "must see" list here in Estonia. The grounds here are huge and lots of walking trails in the forest behind the complex. You can easily spend the whole day here walking the grounds and seeing the exhibits in the different buildings. Here are just a few of the pics I took while we walked around on Saturday.

37549006zu9.jpg

72353099dc1.jpg

74839879bn0.jpg

79108247tf6.jpg

nice. gorgeous grounds. love the greenhouse. i always loved the idea of greenhouses, only don't have much need for one in florida. a friend of mine has a greenhouse structure or, more properly, an atrium built into his living room in alaska. everytime in town here he brings home some tropicals from my garden to plant there. most of it survives but he could not get the coconut palm to grow.

nice. gorgeous grounds. love the greenhouse. i always loved the idea of greenhouses, only don't have much need for one in florida. a friend of mine has a greenhouse structure or, more properly, an atrium built into his living room in alaska. everytime in town here he brings home some tropicals from my garden to plant there. most of it survives but he could not get the coconut palm to grow.

The greenhouse was neat. They had palm trees, banana plants, oleander, cactus and wine grapes growing in there.

oleander, damn. thanx. was in sarasota the other week visiting friend's new retirement house (final walk thru) and they were in bloom everywhere. he asked but i couldn't think of name. plus that was one of mom's favorites and we planted them around her house. now i gotta call my bud in jersey with the plant name. i don't know what i would do if i didn't know someone in estonia.

Beautiful photos, Trek. It all looks so relaxing. I can't help but notice that there are almost no people in the pictures...did you have the place pretty much to yourself? Thanks for sharing.

oleander, damn. thanx. was in sarasota the other week visiting friend's new retirement house (final walk thru) and they were in bloom everywhere. he asked but i couldn't think of name. plus that was one of mom's favorites and we planted them around her house. now i gotta call my bud in jersey with the plant name. i don't know what i would do if i didn't know someone in estonia.

I planted oleanders in my back yard a few years ago. During the summer, they were crawling with aphids. During the winter, they died back to lifeless, brown stalks. Finally gave up, and ripped 'em out...

Beautiful photos, Trek. It all looks so relaxing. I can't help but notice that there are almost no people in the pictures...did you have the place pretty much to yourself? Thanks for sharing.

There were people milling around, but it was by no means crowded. That's a neat perk of living here in Estonia. It never feels crowded. Most tourists don't generally venture outside the historical old city of Tallinn, so when you get out of town the whole country really opens up. You can drive for miles and only pass the odd car here and there out in the countryside.

Back
Top Bottom