Saturday People

CuppaJoe

Moderator Emeritus
I intended to lurk here for a while before posting but wanted to comment on several threads regarding weekend boredom and what to do in ER. So, hi there! CuppaJoe here.

It strikes me that weekend boredom could be the result of the extreme shortness of them; they seem to consist of a series of truncated transitions. I can see how an employee could prefer the workweek to the awful stress of winding down on Saturday only to gear up for the next workweek a day later. But even so, retired people also need weekends, gotta stretch the dryer sheets sometime.

I’ve been "doing the numbers" for years and just recently admit to myself that I have reached a minimum level of "critical mass." Thinking of giving notice in April ‘09 at age 62-1/2. I know pretty much what I want to do in ER or just plain R as the case may be but won’t write it in stone until well after the big transition.

Now, I see myself as happiest as a student learning new things and making connections with historical data; I recently came alive at a demonstration while volunteering with an organization that is pushing local authorities to rain in a burgeoning monopoly. I take night and internet classes and look forward to getting into a list of day classes during R.

Years ago I met a friend at a coffee shop on weekends. She worked two days a week for years before retiring at age 53. I can still see the image of her looking around and conspiratorially saying, "these are the Saturday People." Hope to have coffee often on this site for the next couple of years. One of my vacation/retirement visualizations is to be off-line, but that is open to change when I discover who’s out there beyond the Saturday People.

CuppaJoe

This kind of says what want out of ER...for every day to be a Saturday. In other words, a day when I can do what I want or need to do, without someone or something else dictating what I do. I look forward to dropping my daughter off at school next year, and stopping by Starbucks for a liesurely Cuppa. Next year, I won't be one of those "Saturday people" anymore!!

I like the Saturday people reference -- I used to only be able to ride my bike, fish, hike, gell, have a couple extra glasses of wine on weekends....being a everyday person is much better!

Know what you mean about "Saturday People"

Since I am still working I am a Saturday Person that you refer to. Where I am from we like to fish, and the landings and water are very crowded on Saturdays.
When I am on vacation, I love being out on the water during the week when there are no "Saturday People" to contend with. Don't get the wrong idea because there is nothing wrong with being a Saturday Person, but when I retire I'll probably do something else besides fish on Saturdays. ;)
I hope I receive one of those clocks when I retire that have the hands that point to the days of the week!:D

My brother said that since my dad retired, they only have 2 kinds of days: Saturday & Sunday (Sunday is different because we attend church). So the days of the week for retirees are:

Mondurday
Tuesdurday
Wednesdurday
Thursdurday
Fridurday
Saturday
and
Sunday

CJ

Thanks for the comments, I'm glad to see they went in a light direction. Wow, so many happy campers approaching and in retirement.

Let's see, according to the lower right side of my monitor, today is Wednesday. Carpe Diem!

Back
Top Bottom