Northwest Arkansas/Southwest Missouri

2B

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'd like to see what the forum has to say about the "greater Ozarks" area for retirement. This would be the areas around Joplin, Springfield, Branson, Feyetteville, Eureka Springs and Mountain Home. I realize its a fairly diverse area of two states but any comments would be appreciated.

JPatrick recently emigrated from TX to the Branson area, so he should be a good source of information. You might want to PM him if he doesn't see this thread.

I'd like to see what the forum has to say about the "greater Ozarks" area for retirement. This would be the areas around Joplin, Springfield, Branson, Feyetteville, Eureka Springs and Mountain Home. I realize its a fairly diverse area of two states but any comments would be appreciated.

Frank and I are thinking of retiring to Springfield, and have visited several times with that in mind. The cost of living and the cost of housing is very low there. It is pretty much off the beaten path, but economically vigorous in comparison with New Orleans.

Springfield is a HIGHLY conservative and HIGHLY Christian area. There are quite a few Bible colleges in town. So, if you are not amenable with this sort of environment I would think twice about living there. We have spent most of our lives living in places where we do not fit in, and we are used to keeping such things "close to the chest" but this could still be a problem.

The summers there are frightfully humid, but then how could they get worse than New Orleans in the summer? I am not used to snow but plan to rent for the first year to see how bad it really is before buying.

Last edited:
The summers there are frightfully humid, but then how could they get worse than New Orleans in the summer? I am not used to snow but plan to rent for the first year to see how bad it really is before buying.

I've lived along the Gulf Coast most of my adult life -- Houston, Lake Charles and Baton Rouge. I guess I can tolerate the humidity but I would rather find a place with less of it. I didn't know if being a little higher up in the hills made much difference.

I agree with the renting part. I plan on doing the same. I'm also thinking about "roaming" to various parts of the country for a year or two.

I can do "Christian" well but have trouble with people that can't accept that someone can believe in God and that the world is also older older than 5,000 years. I usually find them pretty easy to avoid as necessary.

i'll consider the ozarks if i see alzheimer's creeping up on me. being jewish and gay i can't think of a better way to assure myself of getting shot. well, either that or i could always consider moving to the middle east.

I had a couple of great-uncles/aunts that lived in Thayer, MO, which is in far south-central MO (right on the MO/AR state line), about 100 miles east of the Springfield/Branson area. The terrain and the weather are about the same. They loved it down there and lived there for many, many years. My Dad, grandparents, and great-grandparents (as well as many aunts, uncles, and cousins) all were born, raised, and/or grew up in that general area. (Yep...we're hillbillies! :D )

When I was younger we used to go back down there quite often. It was (is) very laid back and slow-paced. Not quite as humid as N.O., but still somewhat humid....but it's quite tolerable (my sister lived in N.O. for 30+ years....THAT was hot and HUMID!!!).

One of my former co-w*rkers who ER'd last week, is in the process of moving into their new home in the Cherokee Village area of north-central Arkansas. They have relatives that live down in that area, and they've visited and stayed there fairly often and they love it! It helps also, that they are avid hunters and fishermen!!!

Check out Elm Springs, MO. Just a tad NE from Kansas City. I visited there a couple months ago on a weekend leadership conference thingy for the Air Force, and it was pretty nice. For a visit, stay at the Elm Springs Resort & Spa. It's >100 yr old historic hotel that Al Capone & a few others really seemed to like. There was a movie being filmed at the hotel while I was there, but I don't recall what the name is going to be. Some chick flick, I think.

Last edited:
2B.....

I like the Mountain Home area and have spent a lot of time there. Two nearby lakes, Lake Norfork and Bull Shoals, plus the White River. the North Fork River and the Buffalo River, make for great fishing/boating opportunities. The area's level of "conservatism" (political or religious) is greatly overstated, primarily by folks who haven't been there enough to know. Housing used to be a real bargain running about half of the cost of the Chicago suburbs for comparables. Today, I'd estimate the discount to be only in the 25% range as retirees from Illinois, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin and California continue to flood in.

But it is a small town...... A few decent restaurants, three golf courses, great fishing and hunting, but night life is generally a couple of hours away. Some poverty, some wealth, lots of transplants from the upper midwest and California.

Skim through this...... Baxter Bulletin - www.baxterbulletin.com -

Springfield is an area I checked out, but decided against as I prefer major metros. However, this is my impression from reading boards like city-data.com on Springfield: very religious, but not pushing it down your throat religious; inexpensive utilities (as in very); calm, caring area made up of friendly, helpful people. After all, Brad Pitt is from Springfield, MO., so how bad could it really be girls:confused:?
Branson is about an hour or so away, so you could always go there for entertainment even if most of Branson is dry! (yes, I said "dry" as in no booze)

Back
Top Bottom