Bereavement Rates

UncleHoney

Full time employment: Posting here.
DW's father passed away last week and we attended the funeral Saturday in Peoria Il. All the cheap beds at her brothers filled up with the poor relations so DW made reservations at a Hampton Inn. The room was $142/night. When the operator asked how many nights we would be staying my wife told her just one because we were attending a funeral. Without even asking the operator offered a bereavement rate of $69/night which I thought was nice of them. So the next time I travel Hampton Inns will be high on my list of places to stay.

I know some airlines offer bereavement rates but I didn't know hotels did. Worth knowing if you ever need it.

By the way my FIL lived to a ripe old age of 94 and had been retired for almost 33 years. MIL is still living and 88. They still lived in their own home and did the retirement thing on two SS checks and a small pension worth a few hundred dollars a month plus some savings. Not sure how much savings they had but it wasn't a lot, maybe 50-100k.

UncleHoney -

Unfortunately, I don't think any of the airlines still offer the bereavement fares. That stopped before/during the last economic downturn.

Not sure which airline it was, but a friend of the family got one back in May flying from Denver to St Louis.

For Canucks, WestJet gave DD a bereavement rate and priority seating after Air Canada overbooked &[-] booted her from the plane[/-] refused her boarding when she was trying to go to BIL's funeral.

Compare all fares and benefits, screw AC, go WestJet.

Continental airlines not only did they give me a special rate .They gave me special treatment .

some airlines still gave rates as of this spring (I researched it extensively).

if it works for you, jetblue will pretty much hands-down give you the absolute best last-minute rate.

I was flying from nyc to pittsburgh & the best rate I found elsewhere was over $400. jetblue's round trip tickets were under $300.

When my mother died across the Atlantic, I booked a budget fare online with Air Canada. When I got to the airport they upgraded me to first class.

Back
Top Bottom