Elderhostel

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
Wondering if anyone has gone on any elderhostel trips and what are the positives and negatives ? I'm looking at a cooking trip that they have to New Mexico .

Wondering if anyone has gone on any elderhostel trips and what are the positives and negatives ? I'm looking at a cooking trip that they have to New Mexico .
My parents-in-law have always raved about the high quality of the Elderhostels they've been to, mostly at Civil War sites. The Hawaii ones they've attended have been really well done with unusual events, local activities, and some fairly heavy hitters as speakers. Not your typical Waikiki show.

If they've had anything approaching a complaint, it's usually been that one or two of the customers hog more than their fair share of the speaker's attention, or someone's scandalous after-hours behavior. I think that Elderhostel attracts a steady stream of high-paying customers and the people they contract with want to keep everybody happy.

You might be able to Google reviews with "Elderhostel" and the activity or the town you're going to.

I have friends that go on their trips, and highly recommend them. As soon as I am 55, I'll sign up with them and take a good look at their trips.

Thanks, their trips look interesting and since I'm retired but my SO is still working I've decided to try them out .

Last year I was looking over at what Elderhostel had to offer, and it really looked interesting. So I put it on my "Things To Do in ER" list! I plan to give it a shot in 4 1/2 years when I hit 55.

My kid has been going on Elderhostel trips every summer with my dad. They have an intergenerational program. Both have reported great experiences.

To date, they have been sea kayaking, rock climbing, gone to Denali, crewed on a tall ship, done a stint on a marine biology research boat and a few others. Last year my dad (who is 95) climbed the rigging of a tall ship. Kid was too terrified to try :). They have been doing this every summer for 10 years and plan like mad over the holidays for the next year.

My kid has been going on Elderhostel trips every summer with my dad. They have an intergenerational program. Both have reported great experiences.

To date, they have been sea kayaking, rock climbing, gone to Denali, crewed on a tall ship, done a stint on a marine biology research boat and a few others. Last year my dad (who is 95) climbed the rigging of a tall ship. Kid was too terrified to try :). They have been doing this every summer for 10 years and plan like mad over the holidays for the next year.

That really sounds like fun !

Wonderful trips! My parents have been on several trips in CA, Mom & Grammy have been on several - and they invited me on one last summer! Great trip! Looking at a Boston trip in '08 (as a guest of Mom's) - our excuse to go on field trips!

I've heard great things about their trips from a retiree in my workout class. He's taken several trips, most with a historical theme (Civil war, Lewis & Clark trail). The only negative I've heard is when a ship capsized in the Galapagos and several people drowned. I know one of the survivors and it sounded like a harrowing experience. I only hope they have strengthened their requirements for tour providers since then.

Seattle P-I Plus Getaways: Galapagos capsizing

Wonderful trips! My parents have been on several trips in CA, Mom & Grammy have been on several - and they invited me on one last summer! Great trip! Looking at a Boston trip in '08 (as a guest of Mom's) - our excuse to go on field trips!

I love Boston. Both my children went to school there and my daughter worked there for a few years . I got great hotels in Boston using Priceline .Take the trolley tour and walk the freedom trail.

My parents keep going on them. One was cruise around Lake Michigan and another was at the Grand Canyon.

My mom has been on three one in Hawaii, one on a sailing ship, and love them all. My co-volunteer was the guide of the Hawaii home and garden elder hostel and she really liked it and said everybody seem to have a good time. Other seniors I have talked to have been uniform in their praise.

Even my sister, who is a very anti-tour type of personality, was pretty impressed with the activities that she and Mom went to in Hawaii.

Personally, there are not many reasons to look forward to getting older, being able to go on Elder Hostel trips is one of the few for me.

Back
Top Bottom