N "Things to Do Before You Die"...

What do you think of the prevalence of these lists?

• They are great fun and get me inspired about my own "to-do" list.

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • They are harmless, just a fantasy.

Votes: 32 52.5%
  • They are harmful, and almost obscene.

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
Those lists always strike me as a 'keeping up with the Jones's' kind of thing. But 'activities' rather than 'things'. Mainly bragging, 'we did this', 'we saw that', wow, aren't we special.

Now, if any of those strikes your fancy, and seems worth the cost to you - go for it!

I've been in a rainforest (that was a neat experience), taken a helicopter to a glacier, also very neat. But for me, having a great weekend (anywhere) with friends and a few simple activities trumps most of the things on that list. As they say, 'priceless'.

I guess 'collecting' a list of activities strikes me a bit like 'collecting' a bunch of material goods. Are those material things really going to make you 'happy'? Are those 'activities' going to make you 'happy'? Or just give you bragging rights?

I have a lot of respect for Ghandi, but I never liked those 'live everyday like your last' quotes from anyone. The human mind just does not work that way.

Here is one I like: Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.

-ERD50

Lived in rain forest, worked on helicpoters partied on island beach
with friends!
Victory anyway is sweet

An uninspired list of general tourist attractions.

"climb Mount Everest"? WTF? Oh, I see, this combines the two events - climb Mt Everest AND die at the same time! :D:D

Grumpy

We've enjoyed some of the things on the list. There are several that I would like to do. I don't think it's keeping up with the Jones. I think activities/experiences is what it's all about in retirement. We certainly have enjoyed our "adventures" so far. I think this is an individual thing.

And it's about the experience and the memories (and shared memories), not the bragging rights.

As long as I don't hear someone say "been there, done that" with a bored or contemptuous tone, I don't care.

Obviously, make your own list! Skydiving, bungee jumping, and rock climbing are NOT on mine!!!

Audrey

Most definitely memories. I can entertain myself quite often with just memories. They are good thoughts too and they put my into a really warm fuzzy mood. But, remember you have to DO things with your love ones first. Having those lists can be motivating to get off your duff and create some memories that some day you may really be glad you have.

I'm in the harmless fantasy camp.

Of course there is only one "Do Before You Die" list that matters to me and that is the one that I've compiled for myself of things I actually want to do. I have no desire to climb Everest. I do want to ski down the slope where they hold the Hahnenkamm downhill race which I expect most of the world could care less about.

As I have said in another thread, I don't keep a "bucket list." But it is fun to read these lists just to compare them to what you like. A lot of these things I wouldn't do in a month of Sundays - Everest, no thanks. Others I wanted to try and did, like wing-walking (actually, hung onto the strut of a Cesna, under the wing).:crazy:

That Baja whale watching trip we took in March of 2002 was just incredible. 12 species of whale/dolphin and lots and lots of other ocean wildlife. I think about it often. We might have to do it again. But whether or not we do, I've been feeding off that rich experience for a very long time.

In case you're wondering - Oceanic Society - Natural History Expeditions: Baja: West Coast & Sea of Cortez

Audrey

IMO, these types of lists are very personal. They are good for 'food for thought'. Every once in a while I see something on the list that 'lights the bulb' in my head.
I do agree that some people (the same types that usually drive the new luxury cars, show off their flashy 'toys', ...etc ... you know ... the 'Jones' or their 'keeper uppers') do these things to 'show off'.
My list has languages I want to learn, types of cuisine I want to taste and learn how to cook, experiencing different cultures and learning more about my own, ...etc. Ok, I do have a bunch of places I want to visit too, but that for me, ...not to impress my neighbors.
Everything in life is useful ... I saw a quote (in my youth), that has stuck with me ... '...even a total failure has it's uses ... he can always be used as a bad example' :D.

i voted harmless fantasy on the lists as that comes closest to how i feel out of those options. though i take more issue with the quote. i'd like to have what we might think would have been the faith of gandhi but i'm not convinced that everyone learns quite right without at least some good example and i can see a free-for-all were everyone to think that tomorrow we die. some will sit at home in contemplation, but they might first consider locking doors and barring windows.

as to the list, i've lived a lucky life. i've survived driving the interstate as if i were in a formula 1. while heading 'round an island in a little dinghy the hump of a whale surfaced not 3 feet from my boat. in college we used to play in clearwater fl where once a bunch of fins where spotted just offshore so while everyone was running back to the beach, i ran out into the water because i could see that they were dolphins. i got to within a few feet but then stopped because it seems they were feeding on a school of little fish and i didn't care to get bitten by mistake.

still, i would love to see an elephant in the wild and i intend to set up my life so that i might have such an encounter. i will not feel cheated if i die before seeing an elephant in the wild. i would never think of things i need to do before i die. could my life be better than what it is? sure i suppose, in ways, why not. but am i completely satisfied with my life as it is? yes.

while i'm here i do intend to see more of the world so that when i die i will know where i have been. it gives me something to do and it's got to be better than sitting in contemplation with doors locked and windows barred. but i would never on my own have thought to make an actual list of things to do before i die. somehow i discern a difference between making plans for while i am alive as opposed to achieving specific accomplishments before i die.

in other words, i will not be dying with things still on my list. for at whatever point i die, my life will have been completed.

Those lists always strike me as a 'keeping up with the Jones's' kind of thing. But 'activities' rather than 'things'. Mainly bragging, 'we did this', 'we saw that', wow, aren't we special.

I generally agree. There's nothing wrong with the activities themselves and that's all a matter of personal choice. But needing to put the list forward in the public eye or being eager to share the experiences with [-]captive audiences[/-] friends is no different than talking about material objects you own.

Every year we spend a long weekend with college friends at a state park. Last year one buddy arrived in a new Miata. Another had pics of a new summer home. My canoeing buddy and I had pics of our fly-in/paddle-out Quetico Park adventure. One buddy and his new wife brought zillions of pics of their three weeks in Asia. And on and on......

Objects or activities, it doesn't seem to matter. We're all interested in what each other enjoys and we all take our shot talking about it.

The thing is, the linked list ISN'T personal; it was created by the BBC (no slight to them), and therefore will almost certainly end up being generic. (For comparison, take a look at "best films" lists created individually vs. the one(s) created by the AFI.)

So this particular list does nothing for me -- OTOH, looking at the "101 in 1001" lists which ARE personal is a lot of fun for an afternoon.

My own list has evolved, mutated, and occasionally morphed into something almost unrecognizable over the years. Likely as not, some of the things on it would make some of the people here say, "Well, yeah, I've done that already." And some of the things would make some people here say, "Whoa, Peg, what've YOU been smoking, and where can I get some?"

But that's the fun part for me -- seeing an individual person's list and thinking about the kind of person who made it. It's an Internet version of people-watching, I guess.

I saw a quote (in my youth), that has stuck with me ... '...even a total failure has it's uses ... he can always be used as a bad example' :D.

Someone call my name?

still, i would love to see an elephant in the wild and i intend to set up my life so that i might have such an encounter.

Better hurry before we kill them all...

But needing to put the list forward in the public eye or being eager to share the experiences with [-]captive audiences[/-] friends is no different than talking about material objects you own.

Now where'd I put that slide projector...

Most of the things on that list sound boring to me compared with writing a new program that works as planned, wandering around Dealey Plaza in Dallas to see it for myself, or spending quality time with a puppy (to name a few right off the top of my head).

Hallowe'en in the French Quarter is an unforgettable experience, though I probably won't go down there this year.

Now where'd I put that slide projector...
:2funny:

A lot of these things I wouldn't do in a month of Sundays - Everest, no thanks.
I've known a couple shipmates who lived for these projects. One spent his entire two-year tour at our command just practicing to help haul stuff up to various Everest base camps-- and he paid money for the privelege! Another took a Maui vacation and hit 25 of the "101 Things To Do" list within the first 48 hours. Meantime I'll happily watch whatever videos y'all care to post.

If I drowned tomorrow in the middle of a surf set, I'd die happy and with a sense of accomplishment. I've done everything I've wanted to do before I die, I just want to do more of it.

I've known a couple shipmates who lived for these projects. One spent his entire two-year tour at our command just practicing to help haul stuff up to various Everest base camps-- and he paid money for the privelege! Another took a Maui vacation and hit 25 of the "101 Things To Do" list within the first 48 hours. Meantime I'll happily watch whatever videos y'all care to post.

If I drowned tomorrow in the middle of a surf set, I'd die happy and with a sense of accomplishment. I've done everything I've wanted to do before I die, I just want to do more of it.

Oldest nephew/wife did the climb Mt. Kilimanjaro tour - he puked first. He'll never hear the end of that one!

In memory of older threads - I have mastered(I'd like to think) the art of doing nothing in particular and and only getting half done by the end of the day.

I remember getting a super douper leather bound daily planner(2003 I think) for Christmas at yr ten of ER and taking extreme pleasure making essentially no/very few entries during the year.

heh heh heh - list! Nah don't think so.:D

I have been working on the tao of eggs over easy. I never had the time while working.

If I died tomorrow, I would have no regrets. My life has been well lived, and I don't have a lot of wish-I- would-haves. Most of those activities on that list are interesting pursuits that have little lasting value to me. I'm extremely glad that I was able to go to Africa because it changed me in some fundamental ways. But I have no desire to add a bunch of achievements to my life list. It's odd for me to say that because for most of my recent adult life I had regrets about not achieving more career-wise, but at this point I feel content.

It depends on what is on your list.
The linked list reminds me of "he who dies with most toys wins".
On my list you would find "learn and practice yoga", "learn another foreign language good enough to communicate as a tourist" or "read one piece of literature of each nobel prize winner".

These list are good to make you “think” and maybe add a place to visit.

I still have a few things to do on my North American Must See List, which is:

NYC
Chicago
LA
San Fran
Hawaii
Mexico
Canada
Big Sur
The Rockies
All 3 coast lines, and Great Lakes
Grand Canyon
Red Woods and Sequoias
Kentucky Derby
Super Bowl
World Cup
Indy 500
Oshkosh Fly In

I decided to learn Spanish. I bought two courses on eBay; Berlitz (tapes), and The Learning Company (CD’s) – both for under $20. In addition, I am able to get Rosetta Stone on line free through the local library.

I've done that, and I've even let go. Of course I had a parachute on at the time...

Age 19 - hadn't even got to a real job yet - still in JC. At age 64, watching from the ground at an Air Show is just ducky with me.

heh heh heh - 1980 same guy gave me and the SO a tour of Mt St. Helens - he was in his early 80's by then and still flying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom