have a routine - out of house by 9/10am?

retiringat50

Recycles dryer sheets
Do you find it helps (especially when you first "early retire") to have someplace to go and get out of the house early? (Not as early as work life)
If not it feels like youre wasting your day?

I do make a list of what I have to do that day and try to do it. Like write letter to X, lunch with X, grocery store, clean floors, lift weights, go to library and pick up book on X, whatever. And I do try and follow that list so the day is not totally wasted. I'm not always successful, and do get waylaid with my plans; but, it works half the time, at least. Maybe this would work for you?
From years of getting up early, tho, I find I cannot break that habit easily. And I still seem to go to bed around 10 pm or so. What a swinger, eh? Maybe that will change when I am thru eldercaring? We'll have to see...
Regardless, I read the local paper and the Wall St. Journal faithfully each morning, watch some Bloomberg or Squawk on the Street while doing so, and eat breakfast now each day. That is a new routine for me, for sure. I was always a cup of coffee only before.

I sleep as long as my body needs rest...until 9, 10 or ll and then I let the chips fall where they may. No day is wasted IMO.

I have a little shopping area that is about a one mile walk RT from my apt. I often go down there fairly early and have an espresso and read the NYT.

Or, maybe I decide I want something for breakfast that I don't have in the house- so I go to the supermarket in that same area.

The walk wakes me up, and I tend to feel better all day no meatter what else I do later.

Ha

Do you find it helps (especially when you first "early retire") to have someplace to go and get out of the house early? (Not as early as work life)

No but I do make it out of bed by nine .

I volunteer 2x a week to deliver meals to elderly / shut-in's (Meals on Wheels).

Usually leave by 10:15 and back by 12:15.

Every eight weeks, I give blood at a scheduled 11:00 appointment (back home in an hour).

2-3 hours a week volunteer time vs. 50+ wo*k week; no comparison! (and I feel my volunteer time is more appreciated)...

Anyway, even if I did not volunteer, my time is indeed "mine to waste" :cool:

- Ron

15 mo short of ER, but during spans of days when I'm off from work, I do exactly what you say - in order to have a productive day that doesn't go wasted. I think having a daily plan is important whether it means exercise, hobbies, chores, etc.

No, I am no longer a slave to anyone's 'morning call'.
... uh yes dear ... I'll sign off right now :D:rolleyes:

I have a daily to-do list. Lasts a week! :D

Ummmmm.......Nope! The only time I even care what time it is, or even what day of the week it is, is if I have a dentist/doctor appt., or if I have a trip to go on, or class to go to. Otherwise, I get up when I get up, and do whatever (if anything) that I have or want to do.

There are times I don't leave the house (er, make that the yard) for days on end......I have enough gardening and other hobbies that allow me to have a blast w/o having to 'be on the go' all of the time.

I look at ER about the same as my pre-kindergarten days.....get up when I'm ready to and play until lunch time. Then play some more until I need a to take a nap. After my nap (a.k.a. siesta) I play some more until I get hungry, and then eat supper. After supper I start winding down, and start putting away my toys, and then I go to bed when I'm just too tired to play anymore! Repeat infinitum! It took me the best part of almost one whole day to get settled into this regimen.....and although it's kinda of strenuous....I'm makin' the best of it! :2funny:

I haven't 'wasted' one single day since I ER'd nearly a year ago! The only 'wasted' days I ever had were the days from the time I started kindergarten, until the day I ER'd!!! And I've promised myself that I will NEVER 'waste' another day, as long as I live!!! :D

I too don't leave the property for days on end.

I do find that I have to set up schedules for myself in order to keep things running smoothly: when to change sheets, when to water plants, when to clean bathroom, when to wash dishes...

And sometimes there are appointments: dentist, vet, giving blood...

And scheduled events: local farmers' market...

There are times, like Khan, I don't go anywhere for days. If the weather's decent I'll walk around the neighborhood for a half-hour or so sometime during the day. If it's not too hot or cold I might take the boat out and go fishing.

DW is going to school one class per semester - three more classes and she'll have her BA - and since parking is tight without a 30-minute walk to class I'll drive her and pick her up two or three days a week depending on the class. I try to be supportive of her scholastic efforts since she says she's going to get a job when she's done. That way while she's working I can be spending. Isn't that the way it works?

Nothing so structured that I'd call it a routine though. I'll get up anywhere between 4:00 AM and 9:00 AM depending how late I stayed up the night before.

I look at ER about the same as my pre-kindergarten days.....get up when I'm ready to and play until lunch time. Then play some more until I need a to take a nap. After my nap (a.k.a. siesta) I play some more until I get hungry, and then eat supper. After supper I start winding down, and start putting away my toys, and then I go to bed when I'm just too tired to play anymore! Repeat infinitum! It took me the best part of almost one whole day to get settled into this regimen.....and although it's kinda of strenuous....I'm makin' the best of it! :2funny:

Great Post ! I think I'll go start dinner in my Easy Bake oven !!

There are times, like Khan, I don't go anywhere for days. If the weather's decent I'll walk around the neighborhood for a half-hour or so sometime during the day. If it's not too hot or cold I might take the boat out and go fishing.

Walt, weren't you gonna go back to work for a while due to boredom and some bucks for the travel trailer? Just wondered, because I'm considering the TT or RV myself, and as much as I hate to admit it, I fear boredom a bit, after the main things I want/need to get done are in fact done. DW fears my boredom more than I do though...:D

R

No I don't feel like I have to be out of the house by 9:00am but more often than not, I am out doing something. A couple of days a week I play golf at 9:00 and other days I'm headed to a walking trail to exercise with my dog. But today it rained and it took me longer to get out.

I see no reason why you should have to set a schedule. Just let your day happen.

I've enjoyed the answers so far, especially this succinct one:
I get up in the morning with nothing to do all day. When I go to bed I'm lucky if I got half of it done.
I like to have some plans but not every day. Most days I'm out early either on my runs or doing gardening. Occasionally I'll declare a totally free day and just sit around and read. Don't have to shave every day either. I'm a morning person and enjoy reading the local paper + WSJ while eating breakfast. Never turn on the TV before 5pm and then only sparingly. Nowadays I've been adding to my reading list -- just read a historical fiction book by Sharon Penman When Christ and his Saints Slept, it's about the fight for England's crown during the 12th century between Maude and Stephen.

today i got up at the crack of noon. fortunately i didn't oversleep so i had a good day. right before rush hour, a few minutes before 4pm, i set out for an evening ride in the everglades, with very little traffic, i got out there by 4:30, just in time to ride for a few hours before sunset. while everyone else was in rush-hour traffic, this is what i got to enjoy & what i might have missed had i started my day too early or on schedule (pics do not include the great blue herons, white ones, little blue herons--gorgeous--two hawks and various other species that refused to stop mid air so i could take their picture):

img_637086_0_46ecec1444abf10b0e5bbee6d4be3895.jpg

img_637086_1_66984b98eb4a2ef575c00df9a335dda7.jpg

img_637086_2_5049ab371aa12bd69cde41c365f53b1f.jpg

img_637086_3_4b60f47cdf34823ef9f44ef0de4c9b7d.jpg

img_637086_4_e59e1d683a2e194462e1578d2b0ee1a0.jpg

img_637086_5_5d9f7404e8b877ebcfd403c835ce91fb.jpg

orange ya glad i stopped taking pictures?

Great Post ! I think I'll go start dinner in my Easy Bake oven !!

Don't laugh too hard.....when I'm out in my workshop I set my coffee under an infrared lamp that hangs over my workbench......same principle as the Easy Bake Oven! :D

I'll get up anywhere between 4:00 AM and 9:00 AM depending how late I stayed up the night before.

Same here....I have a couple of neighbors who head out about 5am, and sometimes I wave to them as they drive by and other times everyone's already busy at work or in school before I roll out of the sack.

Don't have to shave every day either.

I only scrape off the whiskers about every 2 or 3 days. Someday I may revert back to my old ways, and quit shaving altogether! I quit shaving at age 19, and didn't pick up a razor for 23 years....only an occasional (and very rare) trim! Hmmmmm, someday......:rolleyes:

I only scrape off the whiskers about every 2 or 3 days. Someday I may revert back to my old ways, and quit shaving altogether! I quit shaving at age 19, and didn't pick up a razor for 23 years....only an occasional (and very rare) trim! Hmmmmm, someday......:rolleyes:
I shave daily. Big deal, shaving. If you do it after a shower the beard is pretty soft. An older man needs to do what he can to look good.

Ha

I only scrape off the whiskers about every 2 or 3 days. Someday I may revert back to my old ways, and quit shaving altogether! someday......:rolleyes:

I have always been a weekly (or so) shaver - no particular day, it justs takes about
a weeks growth to be annoying under my bike helmet strap.

Did you mean outta the house or outta bed? ;)

Back
Top Bottom